• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Which Trigger?? CG, Jewel, Timney

chefcam864

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2013
Spartanburg, SC
I've been using a Timney 510 on my TR rig (Remy 700 in MCM A5), but I am looking to make a switch. The Timney is a fine trigger, but it is not light enough for the intended purpose (won't adjust below 1.5lbs). This was really just a mistake I made when putting together the rifle. I couldn't comprehend how a 1.5lb trigger pull could be too heavy! Now that I'm looking to replace it, I'm not sure which trigger to go with.
I've narrowed it down to the following 3:

CG X-treme
X-Treme Shooting - Rem style triggers

Jewel
R HVR 700 Trigger : REMINGTON 700/40X & WIN M70 RIFLE TRIGGERS | Brownells

Timney Tactical
REMINGTON 700 TACTICAL TRIGGER | Brownells

I've been interested in the CG X-treme for a while, but the price has kept me away.
Has anyone used one? Are they as good as they are reported to be? I like the fact it can be set up as a 2-stage, as this is what I learned to shoot with. However, I'm not sure if that is desirable on an F-class rifle...

The Jewel is very well known and respected, but I really do prefer a wider shoe.

The Timney, I'm not sure about. The weight is right and the straight trigger is nice, but I haven't heard of anyone using one. Any experience with these? Thoughts?

Thanks, Casey

I have loved the Jewell triggers for comp guns, but with trying to push loads past sensible levels and having to replace them twice (more than I wanted to spend) every time I blew a primer, I replaced with a CG and wondering why I didn't changeover earlier. CG is easy to install, easy to adjust , and seems to be much less finicky than a Jewell.

I was just reading about how another fella had to replace a Jewel due to a pierced primer. I never knew that was an issue with Jewel triggers. Shooting a 308 at 1,000 yards is exactly the kind of thing that can lead to blanked primers during load development... The CG is looking better and better. I'll just have to save a little longer...

How would you describe the transition from 1st stage to 2nd? My experience with 2 stage triggers is with service rifles and their necessarily heavy triggers. I'm trying to wrap my head around how an 8oz 2 stage will feel.

All you have to do is look into the competition world. There price means almost nothing to many competitor's when you stop and figure the price of a true match rifle, the cost to get to the different shoots, the cost of components, lodging, meals and all of the other cost incurred. Why not use the best you can find? For the past few decades that has been and still remains Jewell. I'm not saying there are not other good triggers, but when it comes down to the nut bustin it just is Jewell.

RS

I love my Timney, I wanted to try something new after my accutrigger and I'm glad I did. Timneys seem really solid.

I love my Timney, I wanted to try something new after my accutrigger and I'm glad I did. Timneys seem really solid.

I like my Timney as well, and if this were a hunting rifle or something I would use in the field I would not be replacing it. It breaks like the proverbial "glass rod" with ZERO creep or over-travel. The only problem is the pull weight. It is only adjustable to 1.5 lbs which is simply not light enough.

AS to the Jewels, has anyone else had to replace one due to a pierced primer? I've never pierced a primer in a bolt gun, but I'm sure the day will come. When it does, I'd hate the hell out of having to replace a trigger. Is this problem really a common occurrence with Jewel triggers?

I have no doubt that the Jewel and CG are both fantastic, top of the line triggers. I really like the fact that the CG is 2-stage, as I feel that is the way to fly in precision shooting. However, the $100 premium to the Jewel is a factor. I understand that my chosen hobby cost almost as much as cocaine and offshore fishing, but money is always a consideration. I seem to have a recurring problem with my wants/needs outstripping my available resources.

Anyone have any experience with the Timney Tactical? It seems like it could be a viable option, but I've never seen, let alone felt one.

Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming!

I have a Timney in my (now-spare) F-TR rifle and a Jewell in my current F-TR rifle. No comparison. I bought the Jewell JT-11 set to 1.5 oz with no safety or bolt release from Great Scott for $179 last year. It was here in 2-3 day. That's the place to get the Jewell triggers:

Jewell Triggers at GreatScottShooters.com

The Jewell is a single stage trigger and at 1.5oz, I just can't see how you can have 2 stages. You look at it and it fires.

I shot 2 stage triggers for years in my Service Rifles and ARs, and my first F-TR rifle was an AR in which I installed one of the very first Geisselle hi-speed match triggers. After a few years of shooting Timneys and then Jewells, I had a bit of a problem with my F-TR AR rifle last time I used it. I thought the safety was on, but it was just the heavy 2 lbs first stage and then the 6 oz second stage. Took some time to get adjusted back, but once I remembered the 2 stage thing it got much better. I was very happy to go back to the 1.5oz Jewell for the next match.

I used to use Jewell triggers. I had one that was extremely nice and another one that I could never quite get it as smooth as the other. On my new build, I switched to a CG and am absolutely amazed. I have it set at a 4 oz 1st stage and a 12oz second stage. There is definitely a noticeable difference between the two stages. I am in the process of learning to shoot with my left eye through the spotting scope and my right eye through the rifle scope. After spending some time with the US Open coaches last year, this is the recommended form for shooting F Class. You watch the mirage through your spotter, focused about half way to the target, and when the conditions settle in, you "look" with your right eye through the scope to shoot. It is a LOT to process and get used to, but does make sense if you can pull it off. I like the 2 stage because I can take up the 1st stage as the conditions are settling in and switch to my right eye, the rifle scope, and quickly break the shot. The CG trigger is extremely smooth and breaks so clean. It also is the same trigger used in many of the military contracts for the new sniper rifles so it can take some dirt vs. a Jewell that will not. The extra $100 becomes a pretty low cost upgrade when you are already talking $5-6k on a custom competition rifle.

Thanks for the heads up on great scott! I would really like to feel a CG trigger. Do any of you CG fans ever shoot at Butner, OakRidge, or Lejeune? If so, Would you mind letting me dry fire your rifle if we're at a match together? I have felt Jewels and Timneys, but I'm super curious about the CG X-Treme.

Thanks for the heads up on great scott! I would really like to feel a CG trigger. Do any of you CG fans ever shoot at Butner, OakRidge, or Lejeune? If so, Would you mind letting me dry fire your rifle if we're at a match together? I have felt Jewels and Timneys, but I'm super curious about the CG X-Treme.

Jewel is excellent - done 3000 rounds with mine (had 4 blown primers and no issues)
Used in F-class - set to 6 ounces my master gunsmith Mik Maksimovic from Dolphin Gun Company

CG also great ... has a brilliant provenance

Any good trigger, properly installed and well setup will perform.

Last edited:
Fix the primer piercing and go with a Jewell. Remingtons are terrible about piercing primers until you have the firing pin hole bushed. It's not expensive and should be done as part of any Remington build IMO. If you pierce primers after having the bolt bushed, you're likely way too hot.

I shoot a 2 stage Geissele in my AR and I've tried out any number of 2 stage triggers on the guns of the Palma shooters at ORSA. In me service rifle it's great, but I just don't have the feel for the super light 2 stage triggers. I'm happy with my single stage Jewell set at a reasonable 6 oz or so. I tried mine with the BR springs in it at 3 oz and just couldn't feel it.

What is this pierced primer/Jewel issue yall speak of?
Have not heard this..

Love my Jewel @ 8oz.
Pierced primer lets gas leak into firing pin hole with enough pressure to send the fp all the way rearward. It then slams forward into the trigger sear. In the Jewell, this CAN cause it to malfunction. Pierced primers are a sign that something is wrong, but it's not the trigger's fault when people ignore those signs. It's an inexpensive fix to have the fp hole bushed and it will stop pierced primers. Pierced primers are not a very good indication of high pressure.

Pierced primer lets gas leak into firing pin hole with enough pressure to send the fp all the way rearward. It then slams forward into the trigger sear. In the Jewell, this CAN cause it to malfunction.

Have never EVER heard of anything like what you describe.

Any gas escaping will vent around the casehead and the boltface and the pressure relief in the action, there just isn't a tight enough seal between the casehad and boltface to direct enough gas into the firing pin hole to "send the firing pin rearward".

The most typical problem with pierced primers is when the anvil in the primer detaches and falls into the trigger jamming movement. Because most of these triggers have "plate" sides getting the obstruction out is no fun.

As Mike says in post #12, for ANY Rem700 action just have Greg Tannel bush and sleeve the thing and move on. Of course, you'll have to learn how to read overpressure without looking at primers....:D

Killshot, I have heard of this before many, many times. I do not have a clue if that explanation is correct or not, but I have heard it before. Today I shoot all custom actions and they have no need to have the fireing pin hole bushed, but I have witnessed blown primers blanking Jewell triggers a few times in Remington 700's. I do not believe that this is a problem with the Jewell at all but with the fireing pin hole. I also am at a loss why a large fireing pin hole can and will cause a pierced primer. I will relate this story:

I have a friend I shoot a Long Range Benchrest match with once a month. He shoots a Savage with the AccuTrigger and a stock bolt. His rifle is chambered in 6 Dasher and his load is 32 grains of Reloader 15 and a CCI 450 primer. Nothing hot about this load, and I know about 20 guys who shoot the Dasher using Reloader 15 and most if not all of them are a grain or two over that 32 grain load and have no problems. At a match about two months ago he was piercing primers, they looked like little craters were the pin hit was. Once this rifle started piercing primers it did it most of the time no matter the load, I saw him shooting as low as 30 grains of powder witht he same results. Someone recommended that he send the bolt to GreTan and have it bushed. Sent the bolt off had it back in a week and has never pierced a primer sense.

While I do not understand what is going on when you do have a large fireing pin hole, there is something to it.

RS

I also am at a loss why a large firing pin hole can and will cause a pierced primer.
Having a gap between the firing pin and the hole in the boltface allows primer material to flow into the gap. This moving of material thins the face of the primer cup that contacts the boltface. The thinned primer is more easily pierced by the firing pin - especially if the tip has been previously cut or eroded by being exposed to escaping gas.

For those running hot loads in the 6 and 6.5mm chamberings, having a .062" firing pin and bushed/sleeved hole in the bolt should be a consideration.

Take care

Single Stage = Jewell
Two Stage = CG Extreme

I have experience with both, and I prefer the CG. Never thought I would like a 2 stage over the Jewell, but there you go. YMMV...

I have really learned to like a 2 stage trigger. Have 2 CG's, 2 Jewell's, 5 Timney's, 3 SSS (savage), had a huber....like CG best. One is set 8oz/8oz one is 8oz/16oz. I'm only 90 min from Tom Myers, who is a great guy to deal with. My next one is going in my 6.5 SAUM that will be set at 1lb/1.5lb.

Been running the CGs for over three years now, no problems at all. I have seen several jewels take a dump from pressured up rounds. I have lost and blown primers and never had a problem with the CG.

I killed a jewel in 2 shots. Pierced primer was the culprit. CG can take a beating that is for sure. But I shot a jewel in another gun over 3000 rounds without fail, no pierced primers though. If you want to shoot a single stage jewel, do your load development with another trigger.
YMMV-Rob

Chris up at Young's threw a Shilen in mine, and I love that thing. He uses Jewel all the time, and he said that he was VERY surprised with how it felt compared to a Jewel. They are of the same design, but the Shilen was $92......DEFINATELY worth the price.....my .02
Nimrod

The jewel has a small anvil inside that pivots on a pin. Pressure down through the trigger will split that anvil. $35 fix,but about a six week turn around to jewel. That is killing a jewel. That being said, you keep your pressures in check they are a great trigger.
Rob

I always preferred the wider shoe as well. But after using a Jewel for a while, I love them. Now I have 4 Jewels & 2 old Shilens. The others are mostly stock with some parts replaced with custom parts.

I have a Timney... not a fan to be honest... Feels the same as my X-Mark Pro :S

Tried a CG and fell in love... feels like my Anschutz air-rifle trigger.

Now i have this...

just out of curiosity, what are the finishes like on your CG triggers?
My one is a dull grey finish, even on the shoe... i was expecting black and gold and was suprised to see a grey unit turn up... im actually concerned as the finish looks like the type to rust up easy... perhaps I'm stressing over nothing.

A7B5E8D1-8BDC-41B5-94FB-5F174A3AB3BB-1797-000002A515DC53D8_zpsf117d593.jpg

Last edited:
I started off with a Jewel and then tried a Timney. I found I greatly preferred the straight knurled cylinder design of the Timney. This design just connects with my brain better...it makes more sense to me. I can find it and assess where I am on it, get on the right spot, and work it, even at 8 ounces. I can work it very fast in combination with rapid bolt manipulation and have never had any problems firing before I am ready. It works better with my shooting style (very firm grip, lots of rearward pressure on the stock). The Timney's position is adjustable front and back, so I can adjust it to my hand position, plus it can be rotated.

I have found that being able to use this feedback from my finger is very useful in staying in the right place, using a light touch and getting the job done.