• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

which upper would you get?

Re: which upper would you get?

I would go with the Larue. they are a great co to deal with and have great products

I have a DD now. It is a really nice upper. I like it better than my Colt, LMT, Bushmasters, and RRA. With that said the next upper I buy is either going to be Larue Stelth with a 18" barrel and 12" rail/ff tube or i am going to wait untill the fall and get a LWRCi SPR rifle when they come out.

I dont want to sway you away from a DD or Larue because those are amazing products, but have you thought of a MK12 Mod 1 upper? Just a couple more hundred. I have only seen great reviews.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: firefox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you had a choice to use, buy, dd upper or larue which one would you like to get? </div></div>

I'm sure either one would be a good choice-- but due to my recent experience with LaRue my choice would be a Larue stealth --good stuff

Both are good. I consider the LaRue line to be in a different catagory tho', a cut above the DD. The LaRue has a better barrel that will normally prove more accurate. Had an 18" Larue Stealth with a 13.2" rail that's beautifully made and accurate (traded to a friend) and just got a LaRue DMR-16 to replace it that I haven't used yet. On the flip side, I bought a stripped LaRue upper receiver to build a 3-gun rifle on and discovered that it was "dimensionally challenged" in the charging handle trench thereby affecting the tracking of the gas key. Worked fine during dry fit but wouldn't chamber or run at all. They made it good. Great guys, great service. Everything they make is first class. Love their scope mounts.
I do believe that Daniel Defense's M4 rails are the best out there, though. Vltor's uppers look to be first rate but I haven't yet used one personally. Their stripped upper receivers are probably the finest made and am currently running one on my 3-gun AR.
Have you considered either a Noveske or an LMT MRP (gas or piston)? Absolutely wonderful hardware. Hard to go wrong with any of these, really.
As far as POF goes, I've heard from both ends of the spectrum. Seems there is quite a bit of inconsistency rifle to rifle. Lots of good ideas, but I need accuracy and above all, reliability. I'm not sold.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: epdesign</div><div class="ubbcode-body">vltor as well here </div></div>

The Vltor MUR stands well above the rest in My Opinion,I have owned everything from the Colt and Armalite A2's in the pre-ban years to the trick billet uppers that started coming out several years ago.ASA makes a very nice side charging upper with the non-reciprocal handle on the left like an FAL,I also have a really HD upper with the side charging on the carrier which can also act as a forward assist.I looked at the different styles of MRP uppers and again,the Vltor VIS looks to have the best features,works with any MILSPEC AR bbl and the bottom comes off for cleaning.MEGA and LMT make quality MRP systems also.The Noveske is made by Vltor.

LaRue. You get alot of free swag and the CS is great as well. Oh yeah, and they make a good product I hear.....
smile.gif

I'd check out a Compass Lake Engineering or White Oak Armament uppers if accuracy is your main requirement. I think Larue and Daniel Defense are great but I think their are other uppers that are better. I've always thought the LMT MRP is really cool.

I would build one my self. The dd and larue are great but take the best from both. Use the dd rail because they are best and lightest on the market, put on a great barrel like a WOA. As far as upper and lower use a mega billet lower on a good custom upper like larue and you have damn fine rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deersniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">POF. Had a LaRue. POF is a lot more accurate.

-dan </div></div>

Will the POF piston upper fit on a standard lower? Because their 308 one requires a goofy proprietary front pin.

I own a few LWRC's and they are GTG, but I'm building my next AR from the ground up starting with a custom flutted/ Noveske barrel..food for thought. I'd build it if you got the cash.

Build it yourself. :]
I'm partial to Mega Machine Shop's receivers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deersniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">POF. Had a LaRue. POF is a lot more accurate.

-dan </div></div>

Will the POF piston upper fit on a standard lower? Because their 308 one requires a goofy proprietary front pin. </div></div>

Yes the 415/416 POF upper will fit on a standard lower. I have one of my POF's on a RRA lower.