• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Which Vortex Viper PST 6-24?

Jeeprider

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2010
PA
I'm looking to top off my new Tikka T3 Varmint .223 with some glass and the new Vortex Viper PST 6-24 x50 looks very nice. This rifle will be used for mostly paper punching and groundhogs from 100-500 yards. Which model would be recommended SFP or FFP with mil turrets or MOA turrets? Also should I mount this to a 20 MOA picatinny rail or 0 MOA? Thanks in advance.

Re: Which Vortex Viper PST 6-24?

What do you know? What do you have experience with?

If you are a beginner, go with FFP. Its easier to learn these days - particularly that you have indicated you deal with shorter ranges so the width of the reticle is not going to necessarily be a blocking issue for you.

Mil or MOA depends on what you are familiar with. Which system have you used and/or do you know? If you do not know either, then go with MOA. Its simpler to learn as it is intended to deal more closely with the imperial units we use in America.

I recommend you read this article:
http://demigodllc.com/articles/practical-long-range-rifle-shooting-optics/

The ads and awful formatting are distracting but the information is good, be sure you find and click on the link for the next pages. It took a moment for me to understand the flow and where to click my first time through.

I'm glad you mentioned this as I was thinking of upgrading to the PST and would have to make the sfp and Ffp choice soon. if I plan on shooting up to 1000 yards on max magnification, is reticle size a big deal? how big does it get at that distance. does it block out a 1moa target, a .5 moa target?

Always have a matching reticle and turret. Mil/Mil or MOA/MOA.

If you go with Mil/MOA, you will be doing the conversions all the time:
1 Mil = 3.43774 MOA
1 MOA = 0.290889 Mil

[Edit] Looks like all PSTs have matching reticle/turret. NVM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oddball-Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Edit: found Vortex' guidance on that so you can get it straight from them instead of my own SWAG at coverage of target.

Vortex says the lines should be about .06 mrads.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/uploads/web_manual_rfl_viper-pst_416f1-m.pdf</div></div>
Ok so that doesn't sound bad at all, thats less the 1/4 MOA at max magnifications(2 inches at 1000 yards). That's if I did my math right!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oddball-Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Edit: found Vortex' guidance on that so you can get it straight from them instead of my own SWAG at coverage of target.

Vortex says the lines should be about .06 mrads.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/uploads/web_manual_rfl_viper-pst_416f1-m.pdf</div></div> That is for the FFP 4-16. The 6-24 mil is .04 mils thick.

Scott

I chose the 6-24 FFP. It was my first FFP scope, and I think its pretty cool that its always accurate at any magnification.

<span style="color: #333300"><span style="font-weight: bold">Another vote for the PST 6-24x50 FFP in mils.
Unfortunately, mine's on backorder from CameraLand...</span></span>

I went MOA SFP. I never have to use my reticle for ranging and I like to shoot at small stuff. The SFP reticle at max magnification is smaller than the FFP reticle at max magnification.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TonyAngel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went MOA SFP. I never have to use my reticle for ranging and I like to shoot at small stuff. The SFP reticle at max magnification is smaller than the FFP reticle at max magnification. </div></div>

This is what I have, and I havent second guessed my decision yet.

Now I have always been very good and quick with anything math related so maybe thats why I like the SFP. But I love how thin the crosshairs are and stay that way.

Since the scope has indents @ 6,8,12, and 24x its not that hard to adjust for the magnification. @ 24 you multiply by 1, @ 12 multiply by 2, @ 8x multiply by 3, @ 6x multiply by 4.

Im actually on the fence with this too.
Im new to the long range thing so Im reading up on all this like there is no tomorrow. So heres a question. I understand MOA may be easier for a beginner but wouldnt Milrad be easier for the math challenged (at least it seems that way). Also the more I read the more everyone seems to be "going" to milrad. Is that true as well? Why is that?

Any availability of these in the FFP/MIL/ in stock or are they still backordered everywhere?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dog Doc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any availability of these in the FFP/MIL/ in stock or are they still backordered everywhere? </div></div>

I just ordered one from SWFA. It didnt say out of stock anywhere on the page or during checkout. But I'm not sure if their site does or not. Anyone know?

I ordered on from Webyshops last Friday and received it on Monday.

brownells says they have them, and there is a $25 off coupon so you get it for $888 shipped.

edit: SWFA IS out of stock, i cancelled my order

I ordered one a couple weeks ago from SWFA and thought it was in stock, because the site gave no indication that it was out of stock. Found out it was backordered, so called both SWFA and Vortex to find out a date. Vortex is waiting on an order, and expected the PST 6-24 FFP MRAD to be ready sometime in October. Both SWFA and Vortex were helpful and polite on the phone.

Brownell's didn't have them listed a couple of weeks ago as "in stock." It looks like they just changed their model number and have them listed as a "NEW ITEM" and in stock. Damn. Would have ordered through them and saved $150.
Regards,
-Dan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ddavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ordered one a couple weeks ago from SWFA and thought it was in stock, because the site gave no indication that it was out of stock. Found out it was backordered, so called both SWFA and Vortex to find out a date. Vortex is waiting on an order, and expected the PST 6-24 FFP MRAD to be ready sometime in October. Both SWFA and Vortex were helpful and polite on the phone.

Brownell's didn't have them listed a couple of weeks ago as "in stock." It looks like they just changed their model number and have them listed as a "NEW ITEM" and in stock. Damn. Would have ordered through them and saved $150.
Regards,
-Dan </div></div>

Saved $150 how? Is there a coupon I am not aware of? SWFA and brownells both have them listed at $899. I used a $25 off labor day coupon, but if there is a $150 off I'd sure appreciate it!

http://swfa.com/Vortex-6-24x50-Viper-PST-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P44559.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=42369/Product/VIPER_PST_RIFLESCOPES

Couldn't help myself. Don't want to wait til October, so I ordered one through Brownell's too.
-Dan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gixer6</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ddavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ordered one a couple weeks ago from SWFA and thought it was in stock, because the site gave no indication that it was out of stock. Found out it was backordered, so called both SWFA and Vortex to find out a date. Vortex is waiting on an order, and expected the PST 6-24 FFP MRAD to be ready sometime in October. Both SWFA and Vortex were helpful and polite on the phone.

Regards,
-Dan </div></div>

Saved $150 how? Is there a coupon I am not aware of? SWFA and brownells both have them listed at $899. I used a $25 off labor day coupon, but if there is a $150 off I'd sure appreciate it!

http://swfa.com/Vortex-6-24x50-Viper-PST-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P44559.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=42369/Product/VIPER_PST_RIFLESCOPES </div></div>

I have a dealer account through Brownell's and I had to pay Texas sales tax on the SWFA order. I like to support my state, but the sales tax on a $900 item adds up quickly!

I chose the sfp moa reticle bcause I also shoot some benchrest style matches with mine and I wanted the finer crosshairs. To me MOA math is easier than mil math.

Here is my "fuzzy logic" on my PST 6-24x50 FFP MOA purchase:

1. I know what 1", 2", 4", 6", 8", 12", ect are and can approximate the size of real world objects in those terms. I have no idea how to do that in milliradians. Nor do I like to divide or multiply by Pi.

2. I try to minimize the biological component as much as possible in shooting. Yes I can do simple math with my socks and shoes on (mostly), but start shooting on the clock and you find out really quickly that the K.I.S.S. method was developed for a reason.
wink.gif