• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which way should i go

biscuit74

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2013
Hello im new to lr shooting.I want to get a rifle that i can grow with.My question is should i buy factory target rifle out of the box or buy a rem 700 for $450 and have it built.Is a custom the way to go.My budget is around 2200.Any info would be a great help like gunsmith,etc.. thanks

buy a 700 in 243, 260, or 308.

Get out and shoot it.

As you get money and ide tify things through your experience that supplement your shooting, upgrade components.

The remington sps tactical AAC rifle is a superb start.

add a respectable base and rings, and a viper vortex PST.

You can buy one hell of a nice rifle for 2200 in the for sale section here. I did and haven't regretted it once. Try to figure out what you want and when you see it, jump on one. Not too long ago, i saw a few very nice gaps come through for right there around your price range. They were nice rifles and ready to roll after you throw a scope on them. That is what i would do if you can find what you are looking for.

buy a 700 in 243, 260, or 308.

Get out and shoot it.

As you get money and ide tify things through your experience that supplement your shooting, upgrade components.

The remington sps tactical AAC rifle is a superb start.

add a respectable base and rings, and a viper vortex PST.

Exactly what he said. Also, if you aren't a reloader then which rifle you pick really isn't going to matter so much.

If you are restricted to factory ammo, whatever rifle you buy will never be up to it's utmost potential. That's not to say that there isn't good retail ammunition out there and there is, it's just that you won't be able to "tweak where necessary".

Get a nice R700 platform (extremely modular) and save the rest to start building your reloading components.

i would go with a Savage rifle. decide the range and purpose of the rifle(paper or hunting or both). research the calibers that you are interested in and make a decision. Savages are very easy to change out the barrels and accessories if you wish to change calibers down the road and fairly inexpensive to boot, saving you money for other things like scope and stock.