• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which way to go: 700 SPS Tac or 700 SPS Varmint

CharlieTN

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2010
Tenneseee, USA
I am just about done saving up the funds to purchase my first long range rifle. As this will have to be a project that I upgrade as I go I am down to pretty much 2 basic rifles.

1. 700 SPS Tactical in 308

2. 700 SPS Varming in 308

Here is my game plan. Get the rifle, put a basic scope on it, a bipod and shoot the crap out of it as I learn. Eventually will upgrade the scope, bipod and the stock to something better but will have to be content with the basic rifle for now as funds are very limited.

I like the feel of the 700 SPS Tactical but can get the 700 SPS Varmint for roughly $75 - $100 less. Is the stock on the SPS Varmint that much worse than the Hogue on the SPS Tactical? How about the extra 6" of barrel length, will it be a big bonus or a hinderance.

I need a bit of guidance.

Thank you,

Charlie

Re: Which way to go: 700 SPS Tac or 700 SPS Varmint

i would say if you plan on building it later on i would get the sps varmint at 100 dollars cheaper and and put that 100 bucks toward a good trigger job. imo if your going to start shooting long range you dont want to play with a 7# trigger

I bought a used SPS varmint that shoots quite well. Although before it sent a round downrange I took that pos stock off an dropped it in a BC Medalist (apx $200) stock.

Here is the game plan.

Purchase basic rifle, get a basic scope/mounts, put on a decent bipod to start with. There is a possibility that I might hunt with this setup as well.

As the funds come in then I will replace the scope first, then bases and rings, then stock and probably eventually trigger. By that time hopefully I will be shooting good enough that might consider a barrel upgrade but that will be seen.

My dilemma is this. If I get the 700 SPS Varmint it comes as a combo with a cheap scope (replace immediately with a decent mildot) and some basic bases and rings. If I go with the 700 SPS Tactical I have to get bases/rings and a scope to start with.

The SPS Varmint is built on an ADL action with no floorplate. The SPS Tac has the drop floor plate.

Does this create an issue down the road with upgrading stocks to likely the B&C Medalist? I notice that they are listed for the BDL version. Would likely consider an upgrade to a DBM setup but considering that Is a chunk of change I would prefer to make that a separate upgrade. Can I simply purchase the parts to change the ADL to a BDL as I upgrade the stock?

Thanks for all of the guidance. I am very new to this shooting style but have been working on my skills with a rimfire trainer and am ready to jump up to a good centerfire.

Charlie

I wasn't impressed with the Hogue on the SPS Tactical. If you shoot of the bipod, the stock will flex enough to make contact with the barrel. I have an FN PBR that has a Hogue, but the stock is reinforced so there is no contact with the barrel... I wish Remington did that with the SPS Tactical stocks.

The SPS Varmint stock is plastic, but didn't seem like it flexed as much.

I've had both guns, and they are both capable of sub minute groups, so you really can't go wrong.

I recently bought a SPS varmint also and immediately replaced the trigger with a jewel and the stock with a mcmillan m40a1. As far as guidance between the two options it is my opinion that both offer a fine platform for entering long range shooting and building onto after gaining skills and knowledge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WRENCHHEAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the SPS Varmint comes in BDL form.

this one right?
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-sps-varmint.aspx </div></div>

I'm looking at the combo they have at Dick's Sporting Goods on sale for $449. It's an ADL configuration. I'm sure that's how they kept the price down.

For now I'm not overly worried about the internal box magazine and may just go with the full blown upgrade to a dbm when the time comes to upgrade the stock. That would just make the stock upgrade take a bit longer.

Charlie

does the combo rifle come with the heavy varmint barrel? or standard?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WRENCHHEAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">does the combo rifle come with the heavy varmint barrel? or standard? </div></div>

Heavy barrel. It's identical to the normal SPS varmint except it is in camo and is ADL configuration.

gotcha! the adl reciever has got the same holes as the bdl so mounting to a bdl stock is no problem. the trigger guard is different. but if you decide to change out to a detach mag you'll be ok.

or you can find a bdl bottom metal here and use that for the time being. you'll also need a front screw in bdl length.

Had this "Tactical" for about 2 months now. Really like it. The 20" tube is handy and well balanced. I bought a 5r take off made by HS Precision and Nikon Monarch 5 X 20 Makes a good hunter also
003.jpg

First three shots with new stock
0012.jpg

I believe that the SPS Varmint may be the way to go. I can upgrade the scope first, then the bases/rings, then work on saving the pennies for the stock/dbm bottom metal while shooting it.

I also have to factor in the cost or reloading equipment (something I've done quite a bit of in the past) as well.

Thanks,

Charlie

i think you'll be happy with a 26" i've got both lengths and prefer the longer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CharlieTN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking at the combo they have at Dick's Sporting Goods on sale for $449. It's an ADL configuration. I'm sure that's how they kept the price down.

Charlie </div></div>

Did any one else get the $125 off email offer from Dick's?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fw707</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CharlieTN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking at the combo they have at Dick's Sporting Goods on sale for $449. It's an ADL configuration. I'm sure that's how they kept the price down.

Charlie </div></div>

</div></div>

I wish, man that would be awesome.

Charlie

I’ve got both and will say this, if you are going to be hunting or carrying the rifle much get the tactical. If mostly for the range get the varmint. You will see a 100 fps gain from the 6 extra inches of barrel if you use 8208 or varget in both 155 and 175 class bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CharlieTN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe that the SPS Varmint may be the way to go. I can upgrade the scope first, then the bases/rings, then work on saving the pennies for the stock/dbm bottom metal while shooting it. </div></div>

I did the Dicks ADL Varmint route. I put it into a stock with a DBM so the lack of BDL bottom metal was no loss. The Dicks ADL is a good rifle to build on if your intention is to just drop the barreled action into a nicer stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fw707</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CharlieTN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking at the combo they have at Dick's Sporting Goods on sale for $449. It's an ADL configuration. I'm sure that's how they kept the price down.

Charlie </div></div>

</div></div>

Okay WTF, I put thousands a year on my Dicks Mastercard. Where is my $125 off coupon? I got a lame 20 off 100 coupon.

I perfer shorter barrels, went with the tact. But now I'm having the barrel replaced with a 18" bartlein tight bore 5R barrel.

If you ever plan on running a can think about the length it will add to an already long barrel!

Hey CharlieTN,
check your email.

I got the Dicks ADL varmint also. Starting my build with a Bushnell Elite 3200 scope, TPS rings, and rail. Learn to shoot from there. When funds become available I'll upgrade the stock.

I have both and the SPS Varmit stock is the worst mistake remington has ever made. I have a .308 Spst on the other hand and if you just loosen the front trigger guard bolt a hair and tighten the one in the rear it will raise the bore just enough to where it is free floated even with a bipod. As a matter of fact I performed a test this past weekend. I took the sps varmit stock off of the rifle and placed it in the spst stock and was hitting .75 " groups at 100 yds. I then put the rifle back into the sps varmit stock and fired 2" groups with everything the same. SPS Tactical all the way. Just make sure that you can fit a dollar bill in between the stock and the bore before you buy it bc Remington sometimes over tightens the bolts which results in a less accurate gun. just my 2 Cents

That's the direction I took, Charlie.

Removed the barrel/action and took the stock to my oscillating drum sander and free floated the barrel. The barrel IS NOT free floated as it comes from the factory and there are a couple of molded bosses that come into contact with the barrel. You could probably accomplish the same thing with a Dremel or something like it.

It's a good shooter.

Going to finish the build later this month.

Already have the scope.

Gotta get rings, base, stock, trigger and DMB.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aimsmall55</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have both and the SPS Varmit stock is the worst mistake remington has ever made. I have a .308 Spst on the other hand and if you just loosen the front trigger guard bolt a hair and tighten the one in the rear it will raise the bore just enough to where it is free floated even with a bipod. As a matter of fact I performed a test this past weekend. I took the sps varmit stock off of the rifle and placed it in the spst stock and was hitting .75 " groups at 100 yds. I then put the rifle back into the sps varmit stock and fired 2" groups with everything the same. SPS Tactical all the way. Just make sure that you can fit a dollar bill in between the stock and the bore before you buy it bc Remington sometimes over tightens the bolts which results in a less accurate gun. just my 2 Cents </div></div>

Never tried this but I will on my .223

I have both the SPS-V and the SPS-T AAC-SD.

I would say it comes down to price. If you can get the SPS-V for substantially cheaper than the SPS-T, then go for it.

If you can get a SPS-T AAC-SD, then go that route. It's a better option than either the SPS-V or SPS-T.

If you are serious about precision the stock on any of those rifles will need to be replaced. Not only because of the free-float or lack thereof, but because the comb on any of the stocks is too low for a proper cheek weld.

Neither stock is all that... I went with the tactical. But now looking back I wish I would have gotten the varmit for the extra barrel length considering I am running a b&c tactical medalist stock now. The Hogue stock didn't really float the barrel once you have a decent sized scope on it and use a bi-pod....

I have both as well as some customs, never shot my varmit but have put about 400-500 rds downrange with the tactical, I bought it because I live on the road and wanted a shorter bbl 308 that wasn't to expensive. I like the tactical alot, deff a 1/2 MOA gun out of the box (mine is atleast) bought it used but looked brand new. If I had to have one and only one I would choose the tactical. The shorter bbl is a blessing in a 308 to me, the longer bbls have advantages to me if I was shooting long range f-class or something like that. The way I look at it is I will take something else out if I know I will be shooting longer ranges but if I do take aout the 308 the shorter bbl gives me more than the longer bbl does, everything but speed. And 100 fps hasn't benifited me more than a handy lighter rifle. With the longer bbl you might not can get around or through the same spots as with the shorter version, then I guess the longer bbl will help,lol. I started with longer bbl rifles and have steadily shortened everything, THis is just me and here in Louisiana stalking might be more important than super long shots. I shot my tactical at 800 yds day before yesterday by the way and it did great, espcially with 168 smk's ( trying to go ahead and shoot the rest of em up) stick with 168 amax's 178 amamx's 175 SMK's bergers orsomething in those realms for longer ranges. I want to try the scenars but have yet to do so. Good luck

Go with the varmint if you want a shorter barrel you can have it cut, But I love mine, last year took a deer 485 yds with Nosler 168 gr ballistic tip she was dead right there it looked like a grenade went off inside her. I also use it on steel from 400- 1000 yds with 175 SMK and it keeps me smiling.

bshaw

Well, went with the 700 SPS Varmint. Came with a fine 4-12x40 "Remington" scope (simmons mfg) and some Leupold rifleman rings.

Now to save the pennies for a decent scope and some good bases and rings. Keeping in the budget requirements I will be going with the Weaver 20moa base and likely the Weaver 4-hole rings.

Thank you everyone for your help with this decision. I am a man of very limited means so I can't afford to make huge mistakes.

Charlie

Charlie,
For what it's worth, went down to the hunting club today and did a little shooting with my inexpensive (can you say "cheap", purchased at Dick's with the crappy scope which can be resold for $50 with mounts) Rem. 700-V ADL.

After zeroing, 1/4 inch shot group at 100 yards. The 5th shot was 1/2" low and 1/2" right, but I called it on the shot.

This was not on the bench. I was using the bipod and my fist as the inclination/declination device.

I think this rifle is really going to be able to shoot beyond my abilities. Every now and then even a blind pig will find an acorn.

5 shot group. Now this is the basic Dick's 700-V ADL. All I've done at this point is free float the barrel. The trigger pull must be somewhere around 3-5 pounds. Not icky, but just heavy.

Can't wait to see what this thing is going to do with the Jewell and a good stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Charlie,
For what it's worth, went down to the hunting club today and did a little shooting with my inexpensive (can you say "cheap", purchased at Dick's with the crappy scope which can be resold for $50 with mounts) Rem. 700-V ADL.

After zeroing, 1/4 inch shot group at 100 yards. The 5th shot was 1/2" low and 1/2" right, but I called it on the shot.

This was not on the bench. I was using the bipod and my fist as the inclination/declination device.

I think this rifle is really going to be able to shoot beyond my abilities. Every now and then even a blind pig will find an acorn.

5 shot group. Now this is the basic Dick's 700-V ADL. All I've done at this point is free float the barrel. The trigger pull must be somewhere around 3-5 pounds. Not icky, but just heavy.

Can't wait to see what this thing is going to do with the Jewell and a good stock. </div></div>

Thanks so much for the range report. I'm excited to get this project up and running.

The trigger on mine is in the same range as you listed. Absolutely no pretravel and only miniscule over travel.

Charlie

my two cents on triggers. You can spend a couple hundred on a good trigger, or find a smith that knows remington triggers.

The trigger is really going to make your stick shoot.

But, I have an expensive trigger and a factory trigger my smith worked over. It is a Xmark on a remington sendero 300 RUM. My smith has it breaking like glass at 1.12 lbs. No creep, Just breaks, and I only spent 65.00 for a trigger job. I was very pleased.

He also put a jewell on my custom, and I have to tell you it is one sweet trigger. 8oz.

So with that said, get a trigger or trigger job, and dry fire and dry fire.

Tip: get an old sock fill it with about a pound of dried beans and tie a knot in it. Makes a steady "elevation tool".

For $450 that's a great buy, Charlie. I did the same thing. Ditch that scope ASAP, and the rings, too. They are junk, maybe O.K. on your 22. Warne makes great rings for $35. Best deal on a cheap scope is Pentax Pioneer: same as Burris FF for only $100. If you have to wait to buy a better scope, you'll just be wasting ammo. I'm not kidding nor exaggerating. I think the bases are Leupold and just fine.

Your "ADL special" may still have the old-X trigger as well, which is NOT externally adjustable. So you pull the stock to do it. If you don't have a trigger scale, you can suspend water bottles with string to get it close enough: "a pint's a pound the world around." Be sure to safety check the heck out of it before and after gluing/locking the screw/threads.

Get some DevCon or MarineTex and stiffen that stock, and relieve/float the barrel. Use the extra to tacky the grip. Also pull the stock pad and add some fill, like hobby store 2 part epoxy mixed with baking soda, poured around garage scrap aluminum/fiber. While you're at it, might as well install some side swivels.

My smith cut and crowned it to 22", and I've noticed no difference in accuracy or recoil/blast, but a world better to carry and point. The $35 bolt knob DIY add-on is a great deal: buy it now. When you break the plastic trigger guard (like, ASAP), call Remington and they will replace it free with a steel one. Be sure to say you only ever torqued it to spec per their website FAQs.

So mine is maybe $700 all-up, and every penny was well-spent IMHO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CharlieTN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe that the SPS Varmint may be the way to go. I can upgrade the scope first, then the bases/rings, then work on saving the pennies for the stock/dbm bottom metal while shooting it.

I also have to factor in the cost or reloading equipment (something I've done quite a bit of in the past) as well.

Thanks,

Charlie </div></div>

I was in the same dilemma. I ended up getting the SPS-V, saved the money and got a B&C A-5, then a SS 10x42 (non-hd)and finally a bipod. It took a few months, but the thing is awesome now. All it needs is a trigger now. IMO get the new scope, then stock, then trigger. Alot of people might disagree, but that is what I would do. Also, for reloading, I started with a RCBS rockchucker, but get an electric scale and a trickler if you get the kit.

Heres what I was referring to earlier:
sps510.jpg

An what it's done:
sps.jpg

You can buy the BDL parts to "convert" it quite easily an fairly cheaply if you watch the FS section. I've done the ADL to BDL a few times. The mag idea is nice but not that big of deal for hunting/occasional rec shooting.