• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which weapon?

prairiefire

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2010
Nebraska
I realize that there are many choices for home defense weapons. Of the three listed, which would you choose: SBR'd 300 BO, SBR'd 9mm (rifle - not handgun) or PS90? Trying to decide. I have a short barreled 12 gauge which seems quite handy and of course my bedside VP9 - but I want input on the three rifle choices....

My thoughts are for home defense rifle you want the shortest, biggest bore possible. 12 guage fits well in that role. If it's going to be an AR out of your choices I'd pick 300 BO with TESTED ammo and mags.

AR Pistol in .300 BO or "braced" pistol. You could get some lawyer on your butt about building an SBR specifically meant to kill people...I know, we all hate lawyers. Just make sure you kill the perp.

Buy a AR pistol from Primary arms. Its already put together as a pistol and you don't manufacture it, so no intent to circumvent the NFA. They are selling a 10.5" 300 pistol right now for $549.00

220 SMKs out of a 300 BO would be perfect for home defense! Provided it run perfectly at the range, not a fan of malfunctions for home defense weapons.

The PS90 is an interesting choice too. I've never owned one but shot one a bit. They are very handy. The 300 seems like a good choice as well. It's America though, so, get all of the above plus a good 100 pound German Shepherd.

I'd go with the 300 suppressed.

However, the best self defense weapon is the one you have access to and have extensively trained with.

I'd go with the 300 suppressed.

However, the best self defense weapon is the one you have access to and have extensively trained with.

Rerun gave you the best advice. I am just adding on to it.

300 BO and the suppressor. With TESTED SUBSONIC, high expansion rounds. Also, maybe a trijicon sight (always on, no batteries), so you won't be fumbling in a rush to turn shit on. Adrenaline can play havoc with fine motor skills, training is the key though.

I would go with the 300 BO SBR. Training and proficiency with the weapon would be the key for me.

ps90 could be good if neighbors are a concern.
I saw a carnik con video a while back that showed the rounds becoming harmless after a couple sheets of dry wall or something.

Environment matters a lot... Out in the country from contact range to 300yds with no neighbors I'd pick the blackout. If I didn't need more than 50 yds range I'd pick the 9mm if it was reliable. I'd pass on the ps90. I don't have experience on those but don't think it's a good answer for most questions

Well i picked 9mm SBR. 10.5 inch barrel. (Wouldn't hurt if it was a little shorter.) Longest wall to wall distance inside my house is 27 yards. Inside 50 yards i can keep all 32rds (glock mag) in a baseball sized circle as fast as i can pull the trigger. If i slow down (but as fast as i can engage) i can hit a 1 inch dot 80+% of the time. Using a red dot. With buis. I practice with it a lot and if you are in my house i am 99% sure I can hit you in the eye ball with it (or any other single point on your body). I have a 300 BO SBR and for me it seems a little much for the distances i would be dealing with.
also building a SBR for home defense is not the same mindset as building an SBR to kill someone.
Also 9mm AR's are not gas guns. They are blow back operated. The bolt and bolt carrier are one piece and the bolt has no locking lugs. Just like a 22lr semi-auto