• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

which would be more accurate

H_Talon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2012
lost wages, nv (Vegas Baby :-)
I new here so sorry if this has been asked
before...

a free floating bolt tube rifle or a A10 ...

7mm-08, 8.5 twist, 20" stainless barrel,
just for argument the trigger within 0.001%
the same weight and crisp.

let's even say the chamber was cut by the same
reamer and smith at the same time, same stainless
material, same everything.

add the same lot of ammo ...

yes I'm looking to build a 7mm-08 (even though
I do like the 7mm wsm )in either the 700 rem
action or an A10 .. I don't shoot over 200ish
normally but I want a rifle with the legs to
carry to 1000. (if I decide to go there :)

I'm sure this has been asked before but has
anyone done any testing ???

just wondering :)

H_Talon

Re: which would be more accurate

Bolt rifle will be more accurate 95% of the time, 5% of the time it will be equally as accurate. Has to do much more with the shooter and the ability to handle the recoil impulse than anything else.

Go with the bolt rifle.

ditto on the bolt action accuracy,just depends on how accurate you need,a good accurate ar can shoot better than most people are capable of...

Both are limited by the shooter's ability. It is easier to shoot a bolt-action, so usually a newbie will shoot the bolt-gun better.

Interesting threads these type are. Most times it's said that more money spent on components and gunsmith will equal better accuracy. I will agree that you do have to get quality proven components and they have to be put together correctly but I won't agree that you have to spend double or triple over a quality cheaper gun to shoot just as well.

I've been shooting some form of competition since the mid seventies and started with total junk when added to no skills led to pretty poor performance. As time went on skills increased and also quality of guns. Scores went up accordingly but there was always a few that didn't have top end stuff that would consistently kick butt week after week at the matches. I can only imagine how they would have done with higher quality tools to do the job.

Sorry for the rant but it's really easy to get caught up in the "buy once, cry once" thing and spend really big bucks when a really good upper mid range tool and really good skills can trump big money spent on guns and little real range time to equal it out. It's hard to say which combination will ever be the "most accurate" when a bigger factor is the person operating it.

At our 1000 yard matches there is everything from basic hunting rifles in the wrong caliber to really high end customs that with scopes run near $10,000. It takes a few matches but you'll start to see that a decent gun with a shooter that spends quality time practicing will nearly always be at the top. You can have a gun that will shoot 1/4moa in one persons hands and 2moa in anothers with fliers all over the place.

This may not pertain to the original OP question but go to a couple matches and watch shooters that are putting rounds down range a few times a month in practice and matches and see what they are using. Then you know first hand what is working and needed instead of what some are buying for bragging rights saying what the guns can do.

Yes, a lot of custom gun builders build great guns that are very reliable and will drive tacks in the right hands and there are also some out of the box guns that will duplicate their results in the same hands. You have to be comfortable in your purchase and have total confidence in your equipment, if you have doubt in your equipment then it usually shows in your and it's performance.

I'd say go bolt gun to start off with, usually newer shooters do better with a bolt gun at first.

Good luck in your purchase, hope whatever you get pokes one lil hole for you.

Topstrap

i guess my question should have been if all things were equal ... and i'll add same shooter, time of day etc ,..
is one platform better than the other,,

H_Talon

Bolt action all the way. Semi autos end up costing more to be as accurate.