• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which would you buy?

pepperbelly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2006
Fort Worth, Texas
I am facing a small decision soon. I am selling my brother my DPMS SASS .308. I didn't shoot it much and won't really miss it. I had planned on buying a Remington SS Milspec 5R .308 for long range precision shooting. Today I was thinking that I have had .308 long range rifles and have never shot past 200 yards. That's the longest distance at my club's range that I can shoot. Years ago i planned on going to another range to shoot longer distances but that hasn't happened. Honestly, at 53 years old I may never shoot further. This makes me question the wisdom of spending $1k on a rifle for that purpose. If I get a chance to go pig hunting the longest shot would probably be under 300 yards.

There are other options. I have a Les Baer Police Special AR15 .223 and several .22 pistols, 1911s, a Garand, an M1 carbine, an Anschutz .22 rifle and several other toys.
I have thought about either an AR in another caliber or in another configuration like a varmint rifle. If this is a good choice- which and what caliber?
The other thing I have thought about is a suppressor for either a .22 pistol- Ruger MkII, or for my AR15. I really don't have a need for it and I would be starting from scratch. I would need to set up a trust and the cost of that plus the ATF tax stamp plus the cost of the suppressor might be more than I can spend, which is around $1k.
Or, I can go ahead and buy the 5R and hope to get out to shoot on a longer range. I have a good scope and rings. All I need is a Seekin's mount for it.

Jim

Re: Which would you buy?

find a longer rtange, whether it be in teh boonies or on a field where the big wire is, BUT FIND A RANGE. I got real tired of shooting 100M and found a 450M range close by. Then I found a farmer that said it was cool to shoot by the big wire towers...distance man, distance for...well, 600M while it lasted, then another guy brought in some stupid cows

I may try to find a place. I think I am just getting discouraged because of the short range I have. Hell, I shoot 200 yards with iron sights with my Garand, with 53 year old eyes.

Jim

Have an pre 5R .308 and it shot a 1.5 group with handloads at 300 meters. Aint nothing wrong with the .308 for distance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Didn't we already have this conversation? Back in 2008? </div></div>

Yes, but this situation is a little different I inherited a little money.
I am working on a way to get both the 5r and suppressor.
Just after that too I traded for a DPMS SASS. I ended up shooting it very seldom and am selling it to my brother.

Jim

Try talkin to farmers and you might find some longer ranges to shoot. If you aint wantin to deer hunt and wont be shootin at that time they will think about it more. Alot lease out land for hunting that dont get them much in the off time. And if you have the time to help out around the farm some you could very well be shittin in the high grass as all farms need more hands than they have.

Well my brother changed his mind and decided to not buy the SASS. It's actually good for me too. I really hated to sell it. I doubt I would ever replace it. The way it is setup with scope mount and bipod it would cost around $3800.00 (at full retail) to replace it. I can always buy a bolt rifle if I want one later. Considering that I probably won't be shooting over 500 yards, and usually less, this should be good for anything I want to do.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions,
Jim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Didn't we already have this conversation? Back in 2008? </div></div>

'and every month since.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Didn't we already have this conversation? Back in 2008? </div></div>

'and every month since. </div></div>

OK OK, I admit it, I am fickle.

This was something that came up when my brother finally decided to buy out my half of our dad's house since he didn't want to sell it in the current market. I thought I needed the extra money and he thought he wanted the SASS. I started looking into a replacement but it isn't necessary now.
I admit I really didn't want to get rid of the SASS- it's a really fun rifle. I got it in trade and the previous owner is like me, always trading around. He upgraded the rifle and it is pretty dang good. I got a pretty good deal in the trade taking into account what I had in what I traded him.
I also hate selling or trading something that I would probably never be able to replace because of costs.

Anyway, I beg forgiveness. I won't do it again- I promise.

Jim

Sort of. I didn't have the SASS then.

I think.

Jim

Tac Pro is just west of Weatherford, TX. Not far from Ft Worth. They go out to 1000 yards and you should keep your DPMS SASS .308 because that will reach out to 1000 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter McGavin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tac Pro is just west of Weatherford, TX. Not far from Ft Worth. They go out to 1000 yards and you should keep your DPMS SASS .308 because that will reach out to 1000 yards. </div></div>

I am keeping it now. There is a range near Dallas that goes to 500 yards. I will try that this year.
TacPro is supposed to be a very good range but you do have to qualify in stages I think before you are allowed to shoot at 1,000 yards. I need more practice past my range's 200 yards before I even try there.

Jim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pepperbelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter McGavin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tac Pro is just west of Weatherford, TX. Not far from Ft Worth. They go out to 1000 yards and you should keep your DPMS SASS .308 because that will reach out to 1000 yards. </div></div>

I am keeping it now. There is a range near Dallas that goes to 500 yards. I will try that this year.
TacPro is supposed to be a very good range but you do have to qualify in stages I think before you are allowed to shoot at 1,000 yards. I need more practice past my range's 200 yards before I even try there.

Jim </div></div>

Should take 11.4 mils to get there with your DPMS with 175 gr. Just go on a day when it's not windy and it's easy to get there. The main reason you need to qualify there is so your not launching bullets over the berm and into their neighbors property. If you have your elevation then it's just reading the wind.

I agree with all the postings about finding somewhere to shoot past 200 yards. For shooting inside of 200 yards, you don't need more than a 5.56x45.

After you do locate somewhere to shoot longer distances, then start considering the following:

1. What are the most common distances at which you will shoot?
2. Which cartridges have the best wind deflection and ballistics at that distance?
3. What is the cartridge with the best combination of accuracy and cost that
will allow you to shoot most accurately and cheaply.
4. There is no reason to buy a 338 Lapua if all you shoot is 300-600 yards as there are plenty of other cartridges that will work inside those distances. The same idea applies to other distances and cartridges.
5. Would "unusual" cartridges like the 6.5 Grendel in an AR15 platform meet your needs?
6. I believe that buying a rifle simply because you are interested in trying it out is a valid reason to acquire one. As long as YOU enjoy using the rifle, it is a good choice. Everyone has an opinion of what you should buy, and they are worth what you paid to hear their opinion. And that includes my opinions.

Researching which rifle/cartridge to buy is time well spent. Don't rush into buying something just because someone said it works for them. If my buddy can shoot at 1000 yards, but I only get to shoot at 300 yards, I don't need the same rifle that works so well for him at 1000 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree with all the postings about finding somewhere to shoot past 200 yards. For shooting inside of 200 yards, you don't need more than a 5.56x45.

After you do locate somewhere to shoot longer distances, then start considering the following:

1. What are the most common distances at which you will shoot?
2. Which cartridges have the best wind deflection and ballistics at that distance?
3. What is the cartridge with the best combination of accuracy and cost that
will allow you to shoot most accurately and cheaply.
4. There is no reason to buy a 338 Lapua if all you shoot is 300-600 yards as there are plenty of other cartridges that will work inside those distances. The same idea applies to other distances and cartridges.
5. Would "unusual" cartridges like the 6.5 Grendel in an AR15 platform meet your needs?
6. I believe that buying a rifle simply because you are interested in trying it out is a valid reason to acquire one. As long as YOU enjoy using the rifle, it is a good choice. Everyone has an opinion of what you should buy, and they are worth what you paid to hear their opinion. And that includes my opinions.

Researching which rifle/cartridge to buy is time well spent. Don't rush into buying something just because someone said it works for them. If my buddy can shoot at 1000 yards, but I only get to shoot at 300 yards, I don't need the same rifle that works so well for him at 1000 yards.
</div></div>

I already have the SASS. I have been loading for it- .308 and have a few hundred 175gr SMKs.
The reason I started this thread was that I was going to sell the SASS to my brother when he bought out my half of our dad's house. He changed his mind and it wasn't necessary.
I really need to find a longer range to shoot. My club's range goes to 200 yards and I will be spending most of my time there. I can just shoot at smaller targets until I can go somewhere else. Eventually I would like to shoot steel plates at longer range, but realistically I doubt I will shoot past 600 yards unless it's at TacPro just for fun and bragging rights.

Jim

Haltom city gun club?

Topgun is about 1:30 east of you and goes to 500. I go out there fairly often.

Liberty hill goes to 1,000. There's no reason to be limited to 200 around here now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Haltom city gun club?

Topgun is about 1:30 east of you and goes to 500. I go out there fairly often.

Liberty hill goes to 1,000. There's no reason to be limited to 200 around here now.
</div></div>

Yes, Haltom City. I have been a member there since my father joined in about '65.
When I get a chance I will see about going to Topgun. Hopefully with some of ya'll as coaches. Until then it's 200 yards. At least HCRPC is close to me. I can practice there until 200 is a gimmee.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter McGavin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">@ pepperbelly

I go to Top Gun, normally on Fridays, give me a heads up if you wan to meet up and shoot. </div></div>

I may take you up on that offer. I work Mon-Fri 8-5, but I have been known to play hooky now and then- thank God for comp time.
If I get a chance I will get in touch with you.

Thanks,
Jim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">find a longer rtange, whether it be in teh boonies or on a field where the big wire is, BUT FIND A RANGE. I got real tired of shooting 100M and found a 450M range close by. Then I found a farmer that said it was cool to shoot by the big wire towers...distance man, distance for...well, 600M while it lasted, then another guy brought in some stupid cows</div></div>

i fuckin hate cows...................

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pepperbelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I may try to find a place. I think I am just getting discouraged because of the short range I have. Hell, I shoot 200 yards with iron sights with my Garand, with 53 year old eyes.

Jim </div></div>

There was an old Marine who shot everyone to hell during the CArlos Hathcock matches at Cherry Ridge a few years back with irons and an old Garand...hahahaha, even beat guys with $6k guns too! Shoot, I beat some guys with $6k guns with my $1500 rifle there too, but that old Gyrene kicked major ass!

We have a couple of old Marines in my club. They are very nice and helpful but remind me every time we shoot that I am a civilian and they are/were marines. One served in Korea and Doc can spank us all.

Jim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pepper...M, yes, M, Marines, never m.
Semper Fi </div></div>

I know that. Damn sticky shift key.