• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Whidden Sizing Die Questions

weazer

Private
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2005
Edgerton, Ohio
Ok, so I'm having issues with a Whidden 6.5 Creed bushing sizing die. Dies, were bought used. I have 10 once fired cases from my one rifle and about a 100 once fired cases that were gifted to me.

I started out with the once fired from my rifle, using the shoulder bump gauge included I'm at 1.520 to 1.522 on the Hornady brass. I set up the die and sized a few to 1.519 to start. The few I sized were consistent. Here's where to me it gets confusing I tried sizing some of the gifted Hornady brass and starting out they are 1.526ish they vary. But, ran through the dies they only go down to 1.523 and they vary depending on the starting length. So my main question is shouldn't they go all the way down to the 1.519?

I re adjusted the die to try to get the Gifted brass down to the 1.519 which I did, but when I tried one of the once fired from my rifle it pushed it clear down to 1.516. So I'm really confused at this point. It seams that it only sizes down .003-.004 from the starting length. I thought it was my calipers, so grabbing a new on from work to check it. I'm sure being new to reloading I'm over looking it, any advice is appreciated.

Press is a Forester Coax

I would guess you are getting spring back from the brass when trying to push it back that far at one time. Might try bringing it down in two passes. Annealing may help as well when doing the two pass sizing.

Super glad you posted this challenge. I have the exact same situation ahead of me. I bought about 1000 pieces if once fired brass, so it will be interesting what measurements I come up with. BTW, I‘m just starting reloading too.

I would guess you are getting spring back from the brass when trying to push it back that far at one time. Might try bringing it down in two passes. Annealing may help as well when doing the two pass sizing.

Glad you suggested that, I was wondering if that could be the case. I can anneal them, that might help as I don't really know the history on that brass. If its going to be an issue, I'll just put those gifted ones away and use only once fired. I was just getting some brass processed while it was crappy out.

It's not an issue after you get it sized once and fire it in your chamber. I would prep it and run it if I could make it work.

Yup. Spring back is too much for one pass. Once you get it all fired through your rifle I’m guessing you’ll have no issue.