• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

White cerokote to reflect the sun

Maybe.

I'd have to look at the BRDF Function for each if you wanted an actual metric, but my hunch is the difference may be fairly negligible.

• Haha
Reactions: FredHammer
You're trying to reflect as much light as possible to also reflect the energy associated with it. Polished stainless reflects a vast majority of light which is why you can see images reflected in it. Cerakote of any color won't reflect as much. How much does any of this matter? Meh. I guarantee you'll drop more points due to literally any other factor.

You're trying to reflect as much light as possible to also reflect the energy associated with it. Polished stainless reflects a vast majority of light which is why you can see images reflected in it. Cerakote of any color won't reflect as much. How much does any of this matter? Meh. I guarantee you'll drop more points due to literally any other factor.
It's not about dropping points, it's about barrel life

Heat plus pressure equals barrel wear. This isn't a novel idea

Mirror polished steel finish would absorb the least radiated energy. To increase heat dissipation I believe you need to increase to radiating surface area (cooling fins)…or just piss on it! Lol

Last edited:
Heat plus pressure equals barrel wear. This isn't a novel idea
You are obsessing. They can be pitch black and what the black absorbs from the Sun is .000453657 of the heat being put into the barrel by firing.

You are obsessing. They can be pitch black and what the black absorbs from the Sun is .000453657 of the heat being put into the barrel by firing.
Yup, do football players obsess when they smear black shit under there eyes on a sunny day? It's a idea I had that I thought was worth talking about

Wrap the gun in aluminum foil. When people ask WTF, just reply, “I’m from the BearPit.”
1694747980777.gif

Sure thing Steven hawking
Ever notice how heat sinks are always painted white?

Me neither. They are either left as cast/machined or painted/coated/anodized black. (Sometimes reds/blues because looking cool matters…)

A barrel is a heat sink, albeit, not a very good one. It is transferring heat generated inside to the ambient air surrounding it. In theory, black would be the best for this. In reality, exterior color would never make a noticeable difference in barrel life.

Reactions: DairyDictator