• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

White Molle Gear?

jeremiahak

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2009
Fairbanks, Alaska
Does anyone know of a company that is making white molle stuff? I live where it is white most of the time. Am I going to be stuck trying to find a custom manufacturer?

Re: White Molle Gear?

What are you looking to get made? I might be able to help you out. PM me.

I really wish I could have a full kit in white that matched the gear set up I currently have. Molle plate carrier, various pouches, etc. I will shoot you a PM when I get off of work, and have the time to.

I've thought about the krylon thing, and I think it would work pretty well. The downside would be that the paint would have to be touched up regularly, but thats not that big a deal.

I never even considered bleaching some gear. I should look into that as well.

I have never under stood why you can buy white based camo's, but not LBE. Just doesn't make any sense to me.

Try it out on a sample piece or area to see if it will work before attempting to bleach the whole garment to determine its suitability for the application.

Dont bleach it... it's not going to be good for the stitching.
I'd probably paint it with white krylon or house paint, layer it on because it'll crack off though.

SORD did a trial years ago with white for MACWO but it never went anywhere, very little demand.

http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/product/snow-camo-gilly-suit-4243.cfm

Or put this on over your rig
laugh.gif

Start with a light color like Khaki or ACU and paint it. Maybe you will find a place for all the ACU in the world.

I don't know if I could bring myself to buy ACU, but it might be worth a shot.

I've of course considered wearing "over whites", or at least thats what we call them. That would work out fine, but it would make access to your gear more restricted. That may be a serious problem if you are in a situation where you need your gear quick.

This is all sort of a pipe dream. I just live in Alaska where it is snowy for over half of the year, and I think it would be nice to have the option.

Jeremiah

Over whites with a bleached vest or belt with pouches works OK in Alaska. While the environment is white, most areas you can find some veggies to bump next too for concealment.

Kelty makes a white pack but its spendy!

I too think a white Alaskan camo pattern would be useful and should be avail with MOLLE.

I am sure, someone can sew white MOLLE for you for the right coin.

I apologize for reviving an old thread, but it seems that there's not much information from experience on this matter...

If you want a "true" white set-up your only option is to buy or make it yourself. Government issued white gear is called "Arctic White" and you can usually find it in online surplus stores or occasionally on freebay. BUT because it's considered rare, it does cost more than the other readily available colors/patterns. The last complete set (rifleman's kit) in arctic white I came across was going for $150. There was also a DRMO auction for AW rifleman's sets (about $20/set), but what am I going to do with a palette of gear?

You can forget about trying to bleach the color out of existing gear because the Cordura nylon is manufactured with the color/pattern using acid based textile dyes. It's just designed to resist fading from everything including chemicals. I've experimented with a bunch of MOLLE gear and even a did week long soaking in a gallon of 100% undiluted bleach that did very little. At best you'll get some funky colors along the trim, but the overall color/pattern will remain.

My results from soaking in bleach (changes to trim color only):
Woodland - OD will turn a reddish orange.
ACU - Foliage Green turns lime.
DCU & Coyote - Tan lightens a little, but is still tan.

I've done this to SDS, Eagle/Allied, Blackhawk, Paraclete, and various other unbranded stuff. All with basically the same results. For those thinking that bleach will weaken the stiching? It's a good point to consider and does make sense, but I've never had threads break or dissolve from bleaching. MILSPEC gear is just designed to resist breakdown from chemicals far harsher than bleach.

To summarize any nylon MILSPEC MOLLE gear that you bleach will NOT whiten because the color and partterns are a permanent part of the material. So save yourself the time and effort...just buy it, make it, or paint it because bleaching will only get you some funky colored trim.

NOTES: RIT Color Remover does NOT work either, so don't bother the results are even less noticeable. A tip for those who want to try it out themselves? Go buy some black, brown, dark green, or navy RIT dye. It's how I "fixed" my bleach experiments. Just use 2-3 times the amount of dye to water mix that's on the box/bottle. If you still want to do it "cheap", find some old 1st gen MOLLE (canvas) gear...it will lighten to a off white color. But that's as close as you'll get.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info on bleaching....I guess I will just keep looking for the real deal rather than try to make a set.

The thing about the far north is there's basically four colors in nature in the winter, dark green, dark grey, slightly lighter grey and white, I suppose there's the tan grass until the snow gets deep too. Custom or paint would probably be best. Use a thin paint that will permiate and get into the fibers, test first some aerosols have brutal solvents. When you get above tree line your hosed in anything but white, small splotches of light colors will blend at long ranges, overwhites are lame for access, but you could cut slits and velcro or tie them to your pouches and holsters beneath to improve access. You could also make wraps of somesort for the gear you have, the beauty of MOLLE is there's an abundance of attachment points, neither will likely be "hi speed" looking but nothing effective is in the arctic. Of course those black rifles and handguns need krylon or a wrap too.