• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing white tail round selection for 7mm?

upjeeper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2005
Madison, WI
I likely won’t have my new .308 by deer season next week and I’m not sure I really like the idea of using a .223 for white tail so I’ll likely use my 7mm next week for deer season.
I’m not too worried about shot placement since most shots taken will be within 150 yards.

So my question is what do you guys recommend to make the least damage to meat (if I’m not taking a head shot) – am I better off with a smaller faster round or a larger slower round?
What would you guys recommend for minimal expansion (NOT FMJ)?

Thanks

Re: white tail round selection for 7mm?

140 GR. Barns TTSX stopped a bull elk, running directly at me, in his tracks with one shop at 125 yds out of a 7mm STW, without tearing up meat

thanks. so a lighter faster round with controlled expansion is the cleanest choice?

i think the key is controlled expansion

Shot placement trumps bullet slection. I wouldn't take a questionable shot even with the TSX.
My .02 cents.

I kinda like the sst's at a moderate speed. I'm shooting the 162 at about 2850 in my 7 mag. The sd is high enough that it gives pretty reliable expansion at most distances. If I were to run it up to 3200+ it would probably blow up, but I havn't had that with the speeds i'm shooting it at even at close distances.

If your shooting at a 150 yards or so, just use what's worked forever in 7mm, a 140gr Nosler Partition. Heck, a factory Remington Core-Lokt will do what you want at that distance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SMACK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your shooting at a 150 yards or so, just use what's worked forever in 7mm, a 140gr Nosler Partition. Heck, a factory Remington Core-Lokt will do what you want at that distance. </div></div>

Your basic wally world stuff will work just fine, Winchester Silver tips have always been good too.

If your not horn hunting shoot for the face save the meat!

The people that think that is cruel and unusual are wrong, if you can make the shot, if not don't, stalk closer!

If not shoot an amax and put it high in the neck, the quick expansion will sever the muscles and break the neck and or spinal cord, the shot of impact will be tramatic but everyone likes STEW MEAT!

Or worst case pick up the stick and string, I've never seen a rifle shot deer that hasn't been damaged by a bullet wound, the hemoraging effect the bullet causes is what the bullet was designed for to cause significant damage to the intended target allowing quick retrieval of your game. Look at any bullet manufacturer and they will exlain how the bullet will perform upon impact and what game they prefer you to hunt with each bullet. There is a reason the military shoots FMJ, you have a chance!

If all else fails shoot for the face.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Engine22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shot placement trumps bullet slection. I wouldn't take a questionable shot even with the TSX.
My .02 cents. </div></div>

1+

The the vital organs. If broadside right behind the front shoulder 1/3 up the body.

The 7mm is a lot better choice than the 223!

Heat is still the #1 cause of meat spoilage

.223 is a very distructive round, which is why the military uses it. I am a .308 man myself but within 150 yards I LOVE my 30-30 round out of my model 94 winchester! Lots of take down power, light, and no better hunting rifle in my opinion.

10xBuilder

139 or 154 SST or 139 Interbond or some sort of Barnes TSX type deal will do the job no problem on top of any case like a 7-08 or larger. Heck a 7mm BR would do the duty too, though I've yet to hear of someone dragging their BR rig out to walk around the woods with it.

I'd take the 7mm of whatever flavor you have and just shoot whatever you want with it. They'll all go down, put the shot on the 3rd rib behind the shoulders and you won't ruin the meat and the punctured lungs will take the animal out very fast.