• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Whitetail Bullet Selection 12.5" SBR 6.5CM

loveha

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jul 31, 2018
    NW Lower Michigan
    I will start by saying I didn't buy this rifle. It's a Christensen Arms MPP 6.5 Creedmoor I won during their product launch. First thing I did when I got it was SBR it.
    Sits in an MDT HNT26 chassis along with other usual things like a Leupold VX-5HD, NF rings and Nomad Ti. For a solid 7.5 pounds total.

I have been using it whitetail hunting past few years off and on but yet to get something with it. It does sub half MOA 3 shot groups with factory Barnes 120gr TTSXT ammo at 2390FPS. Not what I would call fast, and slow for a solid copper to do it's best work if my research is correct. I have read 1800FPS is the slowest, but performance is obviously not great on opening up completly.

I'll have my reloading bench complete this spring. What would be a good bullet choice for a 12.5" 6.5CM for whitetails in northern Michigan? My average shot is 100-300 yards where I hunt. I'm thinking I would be better off with a 100gr bullet, and see Nosler has a couple options. Barnes also has a 100gr option but solid copper. Or should I go up to a 140 lead core bullet and go the slow but heavy route? I see in 140gr my choices really open up. I honestly have no idea idea which would be best, or just stick with a 120 and just go lead with the Nosler Spitzer? Or am I just over thinking things? I'm just trying to make sure I have good terminal performance.

I’d just go with whatever gives you minimum expansion velocity at 300 yards. Most cup and core bullets will work just fine. ELDMs generally work good on deer. Figure lighter is better so you don’t have to mess with dialing as much. Maybe 120 ELDM. Assume 1800 FPS minimum expansion velocity for cup and core bullets. 2k for coppers

I will start by saying I didn't buy this rifle. It's a Christensen Arms MPP 6.5 Creedmoor I won during their product launch. First thing I did when I got it was SBR it.
    Sits in an MDT HNT26 chassis along with other usual things like a Leupold VX-5HD, NF rings and Nomad Ti. For a solid 7.5 pounds total.

I have been using it whitetail hunting past few years off and on but yet to get something with it. It does sub half MOA 3 shot groups with factory Barnes 120gr TTSXT ammo at 2390FPS. Not what I would call fast, and slow for a solid copper to do it's best work if my research is correct. I have read 1800FPS is the slowest, but performance is obviously not great on opening up completly.

I'll have my reloading bench complete this spring. What would be a good bullet choice for a 12.5" 6.5CM for whitetails in northern Michigan? My average shot is 100-300 yards where I hunt. I'm thinking I would be better off with a 100gr bullet, and see Nosler has a couple options. Barnes also has a 100gr option but solid copper. Or should I go up to a 140 lead core bullet and go the slow but heavy route? I see in 140gr my choices really open up. I honestly have no idea idea which would be best, or just stick with a 120 and just go lead with the Nosler Spitzer? Or am I just over thinking things? I'm just trying to make sure I have good terminal performance.
    Berger 140 Elite Hunters would be ideal for your setup... Still get good speed being only 140 grains, and plenty of velocity to expand at 300 yards.

140 or 147 ELD-M, 143 ELD-X. Max range is whatever yardage is 1800 fps or more. Among the most reliably killing bullets you can use.

I'd look at what the 6.5 Grendel guys are using and go off of that as a baseline.

I had great luck in my Grendel on hogs with the 123 SST, 120 TSX, 100 TTSX. The 120 Nosler BT was good on <150lb pigs, bud didn't really do great on the 250lb'ers.

Have only shot one deer with a Grendel, and it was the 123 SST. Worked like a charm.

With varget
    123 SST
    123 Scenar
    120 Nosler BT

With H4350
    120 TTSX BT
    140/147 ELD-M, I wouldn’t use the 143 ELD-X at those speeds

I'd look at what the 6.5 Grendel guys are using and go off of that as a baseline.

I had great luck in my Grendel on hogs with the 123 SST, 120 TSX, 100 TTSX. The 120 Nosler BT was good on <150lb pigs, bud didn't really do great on the 250lb'ers.

Have only shot one deer with a Grendel, and it was the 123 SST. Worked like a charm.
    Same. I've killed several deer and pigs with 123 SST that was only doing 2350 at the muzzle from a 12" 6.5G. Even got a great wound channel on a pig at 320 yards. That would be my choice.

Reactions: diggler1833
    With varget
    123 SST
    123 Scenar
    120 Nosler BT

With H4350
    120 TTSX BT
    140/147 ELD-M, I wouldn’t use the 143 ELD-X at those speeds

Why not use the ELD-X? It holds together better (less splashy) and has slightly better penetration (thicker jacket) than the M.

Thank you for the replies. Basically, just about anything lead is what I gather. I'll probably still do 100gn or 120gn still, just a lead bullet.

Thank you for the replies. Basically, just about anything lead is what I gather. I'll probably still do 100gn or 120gn still, just a lead bullet.
    My choice would be a 100 gr or 125 gr Nosler Partition.