• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Who’s bushing firing pins?

Reactions: Average guy
Except that you will now have non-factory headspace, which may be fine if you load your own ammo and adjust for it, but...

It is important to note that part of this procedure involves a cleanup pass on the face of the bolt. This will alter the headspace dimension of the rifle slightly. With the recent implementation of our new milling center and probing, we can now control this tolerance quite well.

Expect your headspace to grow by .0005"-.0015" when working with a "healthy" bolt that is free of fire check damage or long term use.

Except that you will now have non-factory headspace, which may be fine if you load your own ammo and adjust for it, but...

It is important to note that part of this procedure involves a cleanup pass on the face of the bolt. This will alter the headspace dimension of the rifle slightly. With the recent implementation of our new milling center and probing, we can now control this tolerance quite well.

Expect your headspace to grow by .0005"-.0015" when working with a "healthy" bolt that is free of fire check damage or long term use.
depending on the cartridge, SAAMI specs give you around 10thou of range in headspace.....assuming you arent coming in at an upper limit, you should be fine to remove .5-1.5thou safely.

you can double check it with a no-go gauge once you get it back

This also takes care of the "crooked headspace" problem that plagues factory rifles!
Bush with confidence!

Jerry Stephenson
I think his name is "carlsbad" here on SH, it is on other forums at least. I think it's $90 shipped for R700 style bolts, and my experience is his turnaround and communication were remarkable. No changes to headspace, though I'm sure he could recut the boltface while he's in there if you want a skim cut.

He "fixed" the sewer pipe of a firing pin hole on my Factory CZ that cupped CCI 450s at starting pressures, and now I can get away with full pressure rounds with "thin cupped" CCI 400s now.

I've also had good experiences with Chad at LRI as mentioned above.

527-bushed.jpg

Reactions: calshipbuilder
I had Short Action Customs perform their guided firing pin work on a .223 ackley that was piercing primers. Worked out great.

That’s what their website says. When LRI bushed my AIAX I couldn’t get my calipers to read any different than fired brass from before the bush. I was super impressed.