• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing who can build me a 50 whisper?

fast freddy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2007
P.C. Florida
700 style long action with 338 lapua boltface, stainless heavy barrel 18 inches, with deep flutes, threaded for a can with thread protector. in 50 whisper. how much and how long, will have the action.

Re: who can build me a 50 whisper?

If your willing to buy the reamer from Kiff (I think he calls his a .50 hush) anybody who can chamber can build it. The problem is getting a barrel with a fast twist.

50whispercopy.jpg

Dozens of them out there...some even match SSK's Brass perfectly. The problem is getting dies. JD wont let them out the door without a build or a...well you call him and ask.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AKA-Spook</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
50whispercopy.jpg

Dozens of them out there...some even match SSK's Brass perfectly. The problem is getting dies. JD wont let them out the door without a build or a...well you call him and ask. </div></div>

I know JD Pretty well. Spook is right JD wont let dies out unless you are buying from him. Here's a thought!! He can build you one!!!

Joe, JD has a rep for being a cranky sort, but everytime I've been on the phone with him ( even after hours) he's been really cordial and quite gracious with information... He's pretty obviously brilliant... Whats he like Really?

If I call him and he seems like he's in a bad mood, I hurry up and end the call. Then I call him again in a week. Usually I catch him in a better mood then.

I've had days where he talked to me for an hour. I've had days when I had to go within the first 2 minutes.

I think he's just moody.

if you want the tru Whisper as others have said he will do the work for you. The best thing if you go with him is he will give you all the data you need and supply the rifle chambered with dies ready to go. I spoke to him when working on my own wildcat with a 60 degree shoulder to get his ideas and even though it was my cartrige desighn and nothing was purchase through him he helped me with a few issues. What a top guy i am in Australia and he was prepared to share info and was glad to talk to someone with similar interests. I was not ripping any of his ideas though i understand he has problems when others make a sub round and call it a Whisper as that is his trademark.

I have looked at the 50 cal sub sonics and they are awsome but projectiles here are realy expensive and the 458 projectiles have more options. I am working on a fast twist 450 Marlin in a long action using Trail Boss it will make an amasing Sub sonic round with projectiles easier to get and a 18" barrel will be a great system.

Also if you need a supressor J D Jones can also sourt you out with it and you know it will work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AKA-Spook</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Joe, JD has a rep for being a cranky sort, but everytime I've been on the phone with him ( even after hours) he's been really cordial and quite gracious with information... He's pretty obviously brilliant... Whats he like Really? </div></div>

He is a great guy with more knowledge about the TC in his little finger then most could get in their head. Keep in mind that hundreds of people have tried to buddy up to him to gain his knowledge with either malicious or unethical reasons to further themselves off his hard work and back.

If you are upfront and fair in your request he will reciprocate otherwise don't waste your breath as he is a VERY smart and wise man to pretty much every trick in the book.

Check with CH4D for dies and Pacific tool and guage for the reamers. They are both listed as 12.7X48 if I recall correctly. Pac-Nor makes blanks with the proper twist rate. Buy the stainless as it won't rust from condensation that will be caused by the suppressor.

Frank

I second Collier rifles. He is currently building me one, 12.7x48mm Hush. So he has the dies so that will save you from having to buy a reamer, chamber gauges, etc. Mine is being done off a remington 700 so he;s opening up the boltface and installing a sako style extractor as well. He does great work. This will be my 5th gun he has done for me, and he has always done work way beyond my expectations.
His phone number is (706) 871-9520 if you want to speak to him on the phone.