• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Who can do a bolt knob fast?

rogue308

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 29, 2009
TX
As in, I ship the bolt out Monday and have it back by Friday. Anyone know a 'smith?

Re: Who can do a bolt knob fast?

Mid Tennessee gunsmithing. Give Brandon a call and tell him your time frame. Tell him Coletta sent you.

If I can't find a TX 'smith in the next day or so I'll get it out that way.

Sounds like I have an alternative to Guns & Leather now. Comes in pretty handy right about now. Coletta, it appears he is just setting up shop here. What work has he done for you?

Give Keith a call at Phoenix Customs Rifles. I seems pretty fast even when you don't ask him to be. If you ask him, who knows how fast he can turn it around.

BC

If you are local to the San Antonio area I can take care of Remington or Savage over a weekend. Sounds as if shipping is your enemy here. overnight both ways will be needed.

knob7stw2.jpg

Thanks for the help and PM's. I didn't realize how easy these are to do. I looked into it and it looks like I have the tools. Hopefully two hours tops and I can knock it out.

If you rifle is a savage its cheaper to just buy another bolt handle than send it off. I think most are under fifty.

Rogue I dont know where your loctaed in Texas but if its around the DFW area I would suggest Gene Williams. He has turned out a bolt handle job for me in two days.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rogue308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the help and PM's. I didn't realize how easy these are to do. I looked into it and it looks like I have the tools. Hopefully two hours tops and I can knock it out. </div></div>

I just got the dies in the mail to tackle this job myself and will be attempting soon. Any tips would be much appreciated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pflyinguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rogue308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the help and PM's. I didn't realize how easy these are to do. I looked into it and it looks like I have the tools. Hopefully two hours tops and I can knock it out. </div></div>

I just got the dies in the mail to tackle this job myself and will be attempting soon. Any tips would be much appreciated. </div></div>

Where is the info on this? Assuming I can do it to a rem700. Id like to see if I can myself before shipping off. Id rather do it myself anyways!

If you do the install yourself, go with a 5/16x24 knob. Like a Badger, or I could make one of mine that thread size for you.

That way, you can turn/sand/grind your existing(factory) knob down to .312" and run a 5/16x24 die down it, then screw on the knob. Careful work, along with some epoxy and paint when done, and you can make it look good even without a lathe or mill.
If you DO have a lathe or mill, you're golden.

As long as you leave the handle alone above the factory knob, no matter what happens if you dont like it I can cut it off and install one the way I was taught and it wont be effected by the prior work.

Any guys that want to try it at home, feel free to give me a call with any questions. Id be glad to try to help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keith at PCR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you do the install yourself, go with a 5/16x24 knob. Like a Badger, or I could make one of mine that thread size for you.

That way, you can turn/sand/grind your existing(factory) knob down to .312" and run a 5/16x24 die down it, then screw on the knob. Careful work, along with some epoxy and paint when done, and you can make it look good even without a lathe or mill.
If you DO have a lathe or mill, you're golden.

As long as you leave the handle alone above the factory knob, no matter what happens if you dont like it I can cut it off and install one the way I was taught and it wont be effected by the prior work.

Any guys that want to try it at home, feel free to give me a call with any questions. Id be glad to try to help. </div></div>

PM sent to you Keith. Thanks for the info

v75dfc.jpg

Finished product... not too difficult, a steady hand with a cut off wheel and a bench grinder, a buddy with the right size die handle, and some patience.............

I have used mid TN gunsmithing for a while. He has bedded, cut, crowned, threaded, parked, cerakkoted, lapped, trued, reamed, fabricated, ..., and consulted on a lot of stuff for me. Top notch guy. If I can dream it he can build it.
Soon to add laser engraved

I did mine in about an hour with a vise, hacksaw, 12" file and a die. Looks about like the one I paid to have done professionally. YMMV

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pflyinguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
1zcmnh5.jpg

14xmlpe.jpg

1589ysz.jpg

Decided to try to tackle the job myself this afternoon......</div></div>

Good on ya'

Not so hard once you just decide to do it, you know?

Pheonix custom rifles can, sent mine on a Monday had it by Friday and he does great work,

I am thinking of upgrading mine also , what did it cost total including shipping??