• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Who dabbles with braiding 550 cord?

Re: Who dabbles with braiding 550 cord?

Slings & "Watchamacallits" are available. I could really crank down on the knotting where there would be minor stretch. Take a bit longer. I still have a few more months of "downtime" , especially with the surgery I have in July so it might be good therapy ? Currently only have coyote brown but am thinking of ordering a OD braid (NOT 550).

I really don't remember. It's been a few years. Depending on how tight someone wants the knotting and how long, could probably have a belt finished in a matter of hours(NO Interruptions, of course).
What makes this different / unique compared to the "cobra" braid is that my knotting can be UNDONE just by undoing a knot and a tug. Gives you spare cord if needed, that is why I started making the "whatchamacallits".

I have tied watch bands for my "outdoors " watch.
I also tied a monkey fist around a 1/2 inch ball bearing, that becomes a lanyard with a round braid, and a slipknot out of a square slide, for a wrist band/slung-shot. One piece. Of course it is just a key fob. ; )
I also make a David and Goliath type sling out of one line, with a small monkey fist at one end, and a sliding loop at the other, and a basket in the middle, or use a separate leather, or tire rubber pouch. Lots of instructions available on the interweb, just for doing a search.

For me the hardest part (watch band) is getting started, and (sling or anything else) the monkey fist gives me fits! I too demand to be left alone while braiding.

Several of the old guys hereabouts, braid rawhide into ropes (lariats), and other useful items. It is a fading skill out here in the west.

Got a guy here at work that ties goose heads or something like that (Turk head) (Nautical knots) out of colored 550 chord.

I gave him one of my bamboo flutes and he did a great job on it.

I'll post a pic later when I can find it.

Right now NMCI is as slow as dial-up.

Lanyards for duck calls, predator call lanyards, lanyards for rangefinder and binos, slings, belts, bracelets, dog collars, watch bands, zipper pull tabs, wrap knife tangs, and a host of other things. I love the stuff, I find something new to use it on all the time.

im a macrame a holic. if theres cordage of any kind handy im tying decorative or useful knots in it. slings,handle wraps,belts,belt overwraps, rappel harness seats, you name it. i figure cordage is field useful so i like to attach any extra i find to any other gear in decorative ways as to hump it.

I've always liked the blade handles done in a nice 550 trashy ensemble. never really did much with it but sure as hell always had a roll in my assault ruck.

probably the craziest thing I've seen is a buddy make a rope out of it,using an assload of pieces braided with one end loose leaving a shit ton of single strands. He then took those single strands and tied them all over to grass, yup you read correctly GRASS. With so many multiple grass "tie downs" it split the load and he clipped in and reppelled from it, pure craziness. He said it was a trick taught when he went to mountaineering school in vermont.

and wth, when yer outta cordage in a pinch just braid ye olde butthairs and aussie on down yo.

This, I can do.
smile.gif
I made a bracelet for a friend of mine in Afghanistan. Found a few places to order some really cool colored cord too. His was desert friendly though.

Note the lanyard on the upper knife with the square braid and skull on the end. The custom blade on the left has one in straight black. If I could find some red and some white 550 cord it would make for a cool set of key fobs for my truck and two bikes The Skull lanyards came from a guy who does them but I'll be danged if I can find the site.
I made some pretty cool stuff out of 550 cord while doing time in OEF VII in the tower as my original job of overwatch Perimeter NCOIC
When there is absolutely nothing going because it's Ramadan, things got too darn quiet so I had some dog tag chains and 550 cord to bide the time with

CatO9s.jpg

Collectioni.png

I do a little bit, did a sling for my model 700

I found this blog awhile back and have made a few things , not nearly enough to justify the 6000 feet of 550 cord I ordered .............

Stormdrane

Hey Switchblade.

Hope item #1 was just decorative and not for getting locals to admit the truth LOL

I have built a few duck call lanyards..
keeperstopknot.jpg
for a Wounded Warrior benefit
RookieDetail.jpg
this one is in Finland somewhere..
whistle.jpg
dog whistle add on
white-1.jpg
early work,..the white cording shows mistakes easier..

On a bit of a break now,.. burned my hand

John