• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who Do You Recommend For A Build

Hogg0494

Old hunter
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2018
Upstate new york
After getting into prs and long distance shooting just over a year ago looking to get a build done.I have a Tikka tac a1 and love it,but want a traditional rifle style to add.i have decided on a manners stock and in a 6.5 Creedmoor.looking for seriously accurate at 100yds if I do my part and steel out to 1,400 or so.i have read some good things about G/A Precision and Axial but would like some first hand info from hide members,feel free to give your opinions and recommendations,Thanks

You can honestly do a build yourself and save a lot of money and even more time. There are plenty of actions that have readily available prefit barrels. You can also get a manners stock with a gen 2 mini chassis from plenty of places in stock. Installing a trigger and a brake is very easy as well as mounting the action to the stock. You could ha e a complete build done in a matter of weeks. As far as actions go some of the top ones available now with prefit barrels would be

impact
Bighorn arms now called zermatt
Terminus Zeus
Curtis vector
Lone peak

Altus shooting solutions has I think every one of these in stock and can have a barrel for you within weeks. They also will have manners stocks, muzzle breaks, triggers, bipods all ready to go. I put my own rifle together with a prefit barrel and went 2 for 2 at a mile at a match with it.

good luck on what ever you choose to build what ever you get is sure to be a blast to shoot i love the 6.5 cm so far still wanting to try a few of the other 6mm rounds like the gt or br ,or any or all of them , but for now and the money till I can reload the 6.5 creedmoor is my new favorite .

Thanks for the info,i forgot to mention i will be shooting some type of factory ammo as i do not reload.i will give them a call.i would be looking for a smooth,slick action like my Bergara premier hunting rifle has(love that action)do you recommend a action and barrel?i was thinking of ordering all the parts and assembling it,but was not sure if there is more to it.

Crescent Customs- Tim Roberts aka Moon
A great rifle builder and when you call the shop you will talk to Moon!

Reactions: superde
If you decide to build at home there are a few required tools to consider when building your rifle, a good bench vise, a barrel vise, an action wrench that works with the action you purchased. GO and No GO gauges, a good foot pounds torque wrench and a inch pounds torque wrench .

Using Big Horn as an example, they have a mechanical ejector, their wrench does not require removing the ejector . Its not a big job to remove it but its a step you can bypass with the correct wrench.

I worked with Southern Precision (bugholes.com), Great customer service that I can not say enough good things about. I bought a Big Horn Origin action and later a Bartlein barrel finished at 24" and chambered in 6.5 CM with flutes just because I always wanted a fluted barrel.

The rifle has about $2400ish in it not counting the few tools I needed or the scope. It's fun and satisfying to build.

Stuteville Precision
TS Customs
Redbeard Gunworks
Crescent Customs
GAP
KMW
Exodus Rifles
Roberts Precision Rifles

All will do great work for you, and 4 have been in the game for over a decade.

I'm an Impact man myself. They are slick, and every barrel i've bought from Tate (Impact) in Dasher has been almost identical. After measuring the shoulder on fired brass, they have all been within .0005" - i've never had to adjust my sizing die through 7 barrels. I change my barrels with a barrel vice clamped to my kitchen table and a torque wrench.

The 6 creed barrel I got from Tate last year shoots Hornady factory 108's really well, for when I don't feel like reloading.

Last edited:
Reactions: kthomas
Long Rifles Inc.

While prefit barrels and DIY precision rifles are "in fashion" now, I also love and prefer the feel of a custom built rifle in my hands. I honestly think everyone should own several.

I’m a GAP fan first. For second choice, I’ve been very impressed with the rifles I’ve picked up on the classifieds that were built by Jon Beanland. I’d not hesitate to send him something.

I just received my new barrel from Brian Allan from A Team Precision yesterday and it looks great.

it’s absolutely worth the investment of buying a barrel vise and action wrench and changing your own barrel. You will still save a ton compared to a custom build. And when your shoot this barrel out you can change it out yourself. Of if you decide to change calibers you can do tje

impact actions are extremely popular and stutiville precision barrels off the shelf shoot great and are usually in stock.

I have a bighorn tl3 that is as slick and smooth as it gets and I love the controlled round feed and interchangeable bolt heads. Plenty of places can spin up a barrel for you with out ever seeing the action. I am very happy with that action.

I also just got in a Terminus Zeus action because I wanted to try a 60 degree throw with a 3 lug action. So far it looks and feels awesome but I haven’t shot it yet.

I have 2 manners prs 1 stocks with the gen 2 mini chassis and have no desire to use anything else. I’ve had an mpa chassis which was nice but just not for me. I also tried my friends foundation which is very nice but I really just liked the feel of the manners better. The benefit to the mini chassis is that you can just bolt your action in with a torque wrench and your done. Very simple.

I tried a triggertech diamond trigger and it is outstanding. If you want a single stage trigger I doubt there is a better option available. I prefer a 2 stage though so went with a bix n Andy tac sport pro 2 stage trigger. It is totally adjustable. Every aspect you can tune to your liking and their support and instructions are outstanding. You can even adjust sear engagement. If you go with a bighorn tl3 action they will actually time your trigger for you for free if you have them do it at the time of purchase. But you can definitely do it yourself.

there are a ton of muzzle breaks available and they all work well. PVA, APA, area 419. They will all work and you can install them yourself.

all in all if you ordered all of the parts you can get the rifle together in less than a half hour and I think it helps you know your rifle and help troubleshoot issues down the road should any arise. You can also bed your action into the mini chassis but that is a little more involved. I just bedded the Zeus into the manners and it looks awesome and the action fits in there like a glove.

bottom line is custom builds are great but with the actions today and prefit shouldered barrels available you can put a rifle together for a fraction of the price and fraction of the time that will shoot just as well as a full custom build. Some people wait a year for a custom rifle to be built.