• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Who does firearms finishing (Duracoat etc)

SniperCJ

Sky God
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2001
Dallas,TX
What Hiders, preferably in the DFW area, do good firearms finishing??

Need a shotgun done.

JC

Re: Who does firearms finishing (Duracoat etc)

Does it have to be a ffl to send compete weapons to be coated? If I ship my stuff to be worked on and returned to me does it involve any Uncle Sam involvement?

In DFW, I would recommend Andrew Quant, d.b.a. Atwell Tactical in Richardson or Jon David Whitson, d.b.a. JDW Manufacturing, Inc. (a.k.a. Shark Suppressors) in Plano or Adam Rodriguez in Fort Worth.

Anyone want to share those PMs? I'm in D/FW as well. I'll check out Atwell and JDW

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 02Silver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does it have to be a ffl to send compete weapons to be coated? If I ship my stuff to be worked on and returned to me does it involve any Uncle Sam involvement? </div></div>
Yes it has to be an ffl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 02Silver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does it have to be a ffl to send compete weapons to be coated? If I ship my stuff to be worked on and returned to me does it involve any Uncle Sam involvement? </div></div>
Yes it has to be an ffl </div></div>

Someone that keep's customer's firearmss overnight needs an FFL from my understanding.

To have your weapon worked on you can mail it directly to the smith/finisher and they can mail it directly back to you (no FFL transfer stuff happens, since there's no transfer).

[/quote]

Someone that keep's customer's firearmss overnight needs an FFL from my understanding.

To have your weapon worked on you can mail it directly to the smith/finisher and they can mail it directly back to you (no FFL transfer stuff happens, since there's no transfer). [/quote]

Got it...that is more reasonable I think.

Why don't you try it your self?

Iv seen a lot of sick home made coatings after a little practice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B. Melick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In DFW, I would recommend Andrew Quant, d.b.a. Atwell Tactical in Richardson or Jon David Whitson, d.b.a. JDW Manufacturing, Inc. (a.k.a. Shark Suppressors) in Plano or Adam Rodriguez in Fort Worth.
</div></div>

+1 on all accounts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

To have your weapon worked on you can mail it directly to the smith/finisher and they can mail it directly back to you (no FFL transfer stuff happens, since there's no transfer). </div></div>
A person has to be a registered FFL to receive firearms in the mail, it does not matter if it stays overnight, if it goes from state to state, the smith or painter has to have a ffl, the owner does not have to have one, since the firearm is already registered to his/her name. For example, if I want to have a firearm painted in my state, all I have to do is drive it over, I can NOT ship it to a non FFL holder even if they are in my state.
Hope this clarify's things.
-Felipe

I paid someone about $150 to paint my 700SPS-V barreled action coyote brown and it is peeling off the muzzle and around the ejection port and recoil lug area. I bought a duracoat kit from Laur for about the same money and got a better result in camo on my muzzleloader and have enough to do another rifle, plus I have the airbrush and tools I need from now on.
Their job:
PICT0032.jpg

Mine:
PICT0018.jpg

If not comfortable trying on your own, by all means support the guys on here. I got a lot of pride and satisfaction doing my own and plan to do several more now that I got my feet wet. It took several drinks of liquid courage for me to strip my rifle, after that it's all down hill from there,
crazy.gif
. I had rust issues and was at the end of my rope to fix them. If you plan to do a nice gun, practice on a beater or buy a throw away stock on the classifieds to practice on first.

I have hide member Da-Law-Dawg to do all my work , he is very, very good to, look him up and ask him to send you pictures of his work, Im sure he wont mind

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deh223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have hide member Da-Law-Dawg to do all my work , he is very, very good to, look him up and ask him to send you pictures of his work, Im sure he wont mind </div></div>

he does good stock texturing too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ipaintguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not "certified" but i do awesome duracoat firearm finishing work in saginaw /ft worth. check out my work at www.facebook.com/lineageairbrush </div></div>

dude, thats nice work