• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who has a watch they like?

throughout history I made it a game to go to wally martinez and buy the cheapest ass 2.99 craptastica watch they had, it became fun to find the cheapest turd and wear it for a while, you might be suprised at long some of those shit tings will last.

Anywho this past Christmas my wife got me a new watch as a stocking stuffer. She picked it cause it has a ballistic calculator in it and thought i'd love that. Ive been wearing it since and I do really like it, ive beat the piss out of it on ranges and in the field and it's doing fine so far. It's a 5.11 "field ops".

5.11 Tactical Field Ops Tactical Military Watch | Official 5.11 Site

the one complaint i have is the date isnt on the main time screen, other than that i like it alot

I've looked at these in the past and kind of wrote them of as a gimmick.

Is it a pain in the butt to input data, and are they accurate compared to your other ballistic software?

I'll echo diesel geek on the Sinn suggestion. Also, maybe a used seamaster pro. Quartz version would be cool and used probably in your price range. If you can stretch, a seamaster with the 1120 movement, would be great. It is an older watch so it would need to be used.

Stay away from watchuseek or your wallet is going to steaming.

I've looked at these in the past and kind of wrote them of as a gimmick.

Is it a pain in the butt to input data, and are they accurate compared to your other ballistic software?

loading your data is pretty simple. I'm not sure on accuracy quite yet as I got it while here in Kimchi land and havent used that function much, I did use it once on leave just to toy with it using my 308 but was only out to 250 and it seemed to be right on the money, but again thats a common cal at short distance so I can't give a difinitive answer yet.

I did use the compass in it when the wife and kids and I were exploring one of the largest cities in the world and got turned around, the map app on the phone was spinning and not showing us which direction was north so i used the handy dandy watch and we made it out without getting assraped

I'll second that.
I wear a G Shock Mudman everyday and if you work outside with your hands, you don't feel like you have to protect it. I can only imagine what a Rolex would look like on my wrist after 6 weeks.

Many people have worn a Rolex everyday for 20-30-40 even 50 years. They are pretty sturdy.

Im currently in the watch market my self as the Fossil took a dump on me after a battery swap. At this point while I would love to invest the coin into a Luminox I must resist if I want to build a .260 Remington Match Rifle. How do the Titanium case Citizen Eco-Drives do? At this point I am looking at the Nighthawk.

Since everyone's talking about the Rolex, here's PVD sub that my company gave out.

Favorite all time watch has to still be a Omega Seamaster - especially the new 8500PO - Will post some pictures when I get to the house.

They need another employee? lol

I have a deep sea that I love, but some of the PVD watches have caugh my attention. Just don't want to have my DSSD coated and haven't pulled the trigger otherwise.

Nice piece!

Im currently in the watch market my self as the Fossil took a dump on me after a battery swap. At this point while I would love to invest the coin into a Luminox I must resist if I want to build a .260 Remington Match Rifle. How do the Titanium case Citizen Eco-Drives do? At this point I am looking at the Nighthawk.
You can definitely count on the Citizens. I did have one have an issue with one several years ago when fairly new; the crown jammed up when I was changing the time entering into a new country. Citizen did take care of it at least and I gave it to a friend who wears it to this day. I believe they are the best value in quartz watches today, and I doubt I will ever go back to a traditional battery powered watch again. My old Seiko dive watch was a bitch to get it changed and resealed/certified every three years.

I did use the compass in it when the wife and kids and I were exploring one of the largest cities in the world and got turned around, the map app on the phone was spinning and not showing us which direction was north so i used the handy dandy watch and we made it out without getting assraped
I had to do the same in the middle of the night in Paris a couple months ago. Fucking phone wouldn't connect to the GPS for shit and I had a shady as fuck cab driver I was about to punch in the back of the head.

If you want a watch you can wear diving, buy a dive watch. If you want an automatic, the Seikos are a good jumping off point. I like the Citizens w/ their Eco-drive, hopefully they'll flesh out their Ti dive watches a little more before too long (RIP Tizilla.)

I wear a Breitling Chronospace Automatic as my every day.

Last Xmass, my girlfriend got me a Casio Edifice Atomic -- It's not too bad. ~ I've beaten the shit out of it and it keeps coming back for more.

A buddy of mine has a Tag, doesn't swap it for anything and he's beaten the shit out of it...Think he paid $800...It's the Formula F1.

I'm a diver and a watch fan. I think the SUUNTO D6I would be a perfect watch for what you've described. It's a full dive computer with NITROX and the option of air integration. ~$1,000 for the compute/watch only and ~$1,300 with air integration. Even if you have a dive computer it could be a backup if your primary goes down.

Watch functions:
12/24h
Calendar clock
Dual time
Daily alarms

Dive:
Altitude adjustment
Ascent rate monitor/alarm
Audible alarm
Compass
Deep Stops
Dive planner
Full decompression data
Log book memory
Maximum depth alarm
Operation mode Air
Operation mode Free
Operation mode Gauge
Operation mode Nitrox
Operation mode Watch
Personal adjustment
Safety stop
Suunto RGBM algorithm
Temperature display
Lifetime history Freedive
Lifetime history Scuba
Ascent time display Up to 199 min
Dive time in seconds and minutes In free / gauge mode
Maximum depth display 150 m / 492 ft
Profile sampling rates in seconds 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 30, 60 s
Wireless air integration Optional

NITROX:
CNS% + OTU calculation (OLF)
Gas switching during dive
Max PO2 adjustment 0.5-1.6
O2 % setting Up to 3 gases containing 21-99%

Compass:
Bearing tracking
Cardinal directions
Declination setting
Guided calibration
Heading in degrees
Tilt compensated compass
3D digital compass

Other:
Adjustable backlight duration
Matrix display
Menu-based user interface
Selectable metric/imperial units
Sapphire crystal glass
Backlight type Electro-luminescent display
Operating temperature 0°C - +40°C / 32°F - +104°F
Storage temperature -20°C - +50°C / -4°F - +122°F
Water resistance 150 m / 492 ft
Weight 113 g / 4 oz
USB for PC/Mac

Last edited:
I am looking to get a new watch and hope you guys can help me out. The problem is, every manufacturer claims their watch is the best, and I have no idea whose full of crap and who actually makes a good durable watch. Luminox is out of the question, because I own one and it sucks.

In a perfect world, i would like a watch that was accurate in time, very durable, water resistant enough for Scuba diving, had good illumination, and a compass and altimeter would be great but not a must.

Let me know what you have and like, or what you've heard is good. I would like to stay under a $1000.00

Any input on the subject would be appreciated.

I wear a British Army CWC G10 watch that I traded with a Brit in Afghanistan. Awesome watch, very well built and understated looks. You can buy them used for about $100 or new from the manufacturer for about $500.

I wear a British Army CWC G10 watch that I traded with a Brit in Afghanistan. Awesome watch, very well built and understated looks. You can buy them used for about $100 or new from the manufacturer for about $500.

I have one simular to your its made by Citizen with a stop watch, date and the 24 hour have which you use as a compass and it never needs batteries because its powered by the sun and the reason I bought it because I had a Rolex seadweller 4000 and the factory F ed it up and bent the second hand when it was only 2 weeks old and it would never keep good time, 3x times I took it back so thats now gone, and I have had all the top brands but this Citizen has been faultless and the reason I got it is because I never have to take it to a jewellers But for shooting I have the Suunto Vector, it has 3 alarms a stop watch a timer, Altimeter A Barometer and it logs the weather pressure changes and its set for absolute pressure and it has a built in compass as well as tempreture it has logs and settings in all modes and i have had it for about 16/17 years and the best bit I can change the Battery myself by just using a coin, Its big but it is very light, I See Mark Warlburgh Had one in that movie Shooter, Guess I'm a Trend Setter,lol
I bought one of the first one that came to the UK and the thing is all Black and the back light is Bluey/Green so it dont light up the place at Night.

John

Last edited:
Here are mine. 2 Lums and 2 Breitlings. I bought the Lums and the wife bought the Breitlings

1378069113_zps707c7708.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I'm a diver and a watch fan. I think the SUUNTO D6I would be a perfect watch for what you've described. It's a full dive computer with NITROX and the option of air integration. ~$1,000 for the compute/watch only and ~$1,300 with air integration. Even if you have a dive computer it could be a backup if your primary goes down.

Watch functions:
12/24h
Calendar clock
Dual time
Daily alarms

Dive:
Altitude adjustment
Ascent rate monitor/alarm
Audible alarm
Compass
Deep Stops
Dive planner
Full decompression data
Log book memory
Maximum depth alarm
Operation mode Air
Operation mode Free
Operation mode Gauge
Operation mode Nitrox
Operation mode Watch
Personal adjustment
Safety stop
Suunto RGBM algorithm
Temperature display
Lifetime history Freedive
Lifetime history Scuba
Ascent time display Up to 199 min
Dive time in seconds and minutes In free / gauge mode
Maximum depth display 150 m / 492 ft
Profile sampling rates in seconds 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 30, 60 s
Wireless air integration Optional

NITROX:
CNS% + OTU calculation (OLF)
Gas switching during dive
Max PO2 adjustment 0.5-1.6
O2 % setting Up to 3 gases containing 21-99%

Compass:
Bearing tracking
Cardinal directions
Declination setting
Guided calibration
Heading in degrees
Tilt compensated compass
3D digital compass

Other:
Adjustable backlight duration
Matrix display
Menu-based user interface
Selectable metric/imperial units
Sapphire crystal glass
Backlight type Electro-luminescent display
Operating temperature 0°C - +40°C / 32°F - +104°F
Storage temperature -20°C - +50°C / -4°F - +122°F
Water resistance 150 m / 492 ft
Weight 113 g / 4 oz
USB for PC/Mac

Eh, as a diver I've found that people who use watch/computers generally just want to show off that they've got one of the expensive ones. I can't say I've ever seen someone with one of those do anything remotely requiring those additional features. And as many transmitters as I've seen shit the bed I wouldn't even bother with AI. I can get a better computer for less money and still have enough for a watch that'll stay dry as deep as I'll ever go.

That being said, I wear a Suunto Core All Black every day and I dive a Vyper. If I do any diving requiring actual deco or any similar considerations I'm on a Petrel with VPM-B. The Suunto watch computers are a waste of money in my mind. Master of none and all.

Last edited:
I have a lot of watches that I really like, but they're pretty spendy. Also, I'm a traditionalist and not into fancy electronic features. In fact, all of my watches are mechanical, except for one.

That one watch is a G-Shock. You can throw it against a wall and it will probably be fine. About 13 years ago I asked a buddy who's a SEAL about one of those watches claiming to be a navy seal watch and whether they really used one. He had never heard of hit and said they give him a G-Shock and had they had cases of them. The only thing they didn't like about them was the bright backlight. Too bright if you're worried about your position being revealed. Not a concern for me.

If I were to get a fancy computerized watch with a bunch of features it would be something like this based on the reliability of my G-Shocks (I too lost one to a chewing dog, however):

PRW2500T-7 - PRO TREK, Mens, Digital, Altimeter, Barometer, Compass, Watch | CASIO America, Inc.

I have a friend who has one of those Tissots that someone mentioned and it and all the fancy features still work after a few years now. Good looking watch and he was able to get a great discount on it. Quartz movement, of course.

A watch that I've long wanted, and closer to your budget than the usual fare from Rolex and Omega, is this Seiko Marine Master:

Seiko PROSPEX SBDX001 Marine Master Professional 300M Dive Watch | eBay

I don't think Seiko imports their high-end mechanical watches to the US so you have to get them from someone who resells them here. I think the quartz version is about $800 less. Maybe you could find a used one in your price range. Keep in mind this Seiko is if you are interested in your watching being a high-end watch and special. Which I assumed from your $1,000 budget. If function is your concern there are lots of watches that should be great. Some are discussed here and include the Casio I linked to in the beginning.

This forum has all sorts of information about watches: TimeZone

The Seiko I linked to is, by all accounts I've read, a magnificent watch and would be quite exclusive as few other people here would have one. You'll have instant cred; even with watch snobs.

Do note the size of some of these watches. If you have a slender wrist some of these giant watches that are so popular today can look cartoonish.

And before you ultimately pull the trigger do a little research to see if people are having problems. The more gizmos on these computerized watches probably means there's more to break.

Last edited:
I'm not a frequent diver so I don't know exactly how useful some of the features are, but you might try looking at Ripcurl. I surf a lot, and by that I mean an average of probably more than 14 hrs/week, and while I've had many watches, most as gifts, the one watch I've kept has been a Ripcurl Titanium Tide I got about 10 years ago. I've never gotten into more expensive watches as I didn't want one to become damaged or lost, but nearly all other watches I tried leaked, rusted, or broke down to some extent. That watch has been through countless beatdowns in 20ft surf, sub-zero blizzards, nearly anything you could imagine and has never missed a beat, except for the two times the battery has needed to be replaced. It offers tide profiles for all over the world, possibly including the Great Lakes, I can't remember, displays relative height, current height and direction, moon phase, chronograph, and digital compass on top of D/T. I also prefer the thin, smooth profile, as it was designed to be very comfortable under a wetsuit. I still have a G-Shock, but I hate the damn thing because of how bulky it is. I would be very surprised if you ever break the seal on a Ripcurl, whereas I've seen nearly every other brand under $500 leak sooner or later after some abuse. Some food for thought.

I wear a Suunto Ambit 2 Sapphire as my everyday watch, I owned the original Ambit before this and recently upgraded. Its an absolutely incredible watch, I train with it everyday of the week with a heart rate strap and track all my workouts, worn it on week + long backpacking trips, free diving, hunting, fishing, shooting, to work everyday, you name it. Its rugged, its plumb full of useful instruments, looks good, and is comfortable to wear. I have a couple of other watches including a Rolex Sub-M and some fancy Nixon watches, but they hardly ever see the light of day. The suunto is my go to, plus Suunto customer service is second to none.

Pic (those arn't scratches on the crystal, actually lint - its a true sapphire crystal so it takes an act of god to scratch it.

I'd have to agree Seiko makes great durable watches and many models .. I have my J-SAR (Marathon) great watch very cool but not for everyone .because they are very big . My finer go to watch is my SINN 756 UTC-S just about as cool and and do everything watch but higher end and then my stand by vintage ROLEX that was handed down to me. BREVE oyster that went though the KOREAN war with my Uncle manual wind and over 50yrs. later still still running and beautiful.
look at the SEIKOs' I'm sure you can find a great cool durable watch with them. and if you would like to upgrade I'm selling my SINN it is show room condition all tegimented. antimagnetic and a whole lotta other great features.

I like Tagheuer and have had a few.

That being said, the two best watches I've had that have "computer gizmos" and have withstood daily beatings and extended adventures are the CASIO G-Shock MUDMAN and the SUUNTO VECTOR.

Marathon JDD

Since 2004 I have worn and loved my Marathon SAR. The only two things I wished for were better lume to tell time at zero dark thirty and the day/date so I knew what day of the week it was when all the days blend together. Well the new Marathon Jumbo Day Date (JDD) delivered in every way. Its a BIG watch but nearly perfect.
MARATHON%2BBilingual%2BDIVER%2B02.jpg

With a fairly inexpensive mod you can add in black day/date wheels and then the watch is perfect.

925808d1357417600-marathon-jdd-automatic-modded-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357417596.439788.jpg

I recommend the Tissot T-Touch Race. Sapphire crystal, steel case, compass, tritium on the hands, back light on the digital part, 100 meters water resistant, and strong rubber band. At around 550, it's a steal for the features and the styling (if you like it's styling). Some places you can get it for less during a good sale.

Marathon SAR.

Tougher than nails.

RMD

Attachments

• standard.jpg
    standard.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 23
Thanks everyone for the help. I think i will do what most have done here and just get more than one watch. I'm now deciding between one of the Casio's mentioned, or one of the Sunnto's. Then look at an Omega, Seiko, Sinn, Marathon, or Tissot after. No Rolex in the immediate future for this guy. :)

Thanks again!

Thanks everyone for the help. I think i will do what most have done here and just get more than one watch. I'm now deciding between one of the Casio's mentioned, or one of the Sunnto's. Then look at an Omega, Seiko, Sinn, Marathon, or Tissot after. No Rolex in the immediate future for this guy. :)

Thanks again!

I dont know if I said but the pressure on my Suunto Vector always gives Absolute Preassure/Station Pressure which is great for shooting.

john

have had good experiences with mine...

Breitling Super Avenger (Daily Wearer)
207115_10101026125468364_395887525_n.jpg

Breitling Navitimer World
969019_10101667624738684_1160862333_n.jpg

Graham Chronofighter 2OVAS
998060_10101667624853454_1812702022_n.jpg

I also make watch straps in my spare time
429061_10100675503657284_859869972_n.jpg

I have not seen TAG mentioned yet so i will do so. Also I work at a Jareds for the past 2.5 yrs while finishing college and tell ya the formula 1 TAG be ur closets bet to get Swiss Qualities with a much more fare price then a Rolly or other similar high end. Screen Shot 2013-10-01 at 10.54.19 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2013-10-01 at 10.55.25 PM.jpg

One of these Im just showing off as it is 7 grand and extremely hard to find. the blue is my Aquaracer that is not far over a grand and it really great especially for the value

Mine is the best! Water proof to 10,000m and shock proof too. Works in some TZs as long as you know your bearing. Never needs batteries. Apparently, with the iPhone flash, it is almost noon. Ya, lunch a second time today!
adynapa2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

Jt

I'm assuming this uses tritium or some such for illumination as the sun would be very dim at 10000m ;-)

for 25 years G shock, atomic, solar - it comes off the wrist about 3 times per year - I pick whatever one has the largest display - they last 5 to 7 years before they do not hold a charge - I have seen some condensation near the end of life when the temp is around 0 - in another 25 years I will unlikely have 1000$ in all of them

I have also used the same wallet for 37 years, re did the stitching and changed the outside leather

Sounds like you have the digital/compass/alti model figured out. Also, don't dismiss Highgear. They may not be as desired as a Suunto or Casio, but mine has been beaten on and gives a more accurate alti reading than any other I've owned.

And when it comes time for an Analogue, be sure to check out the classic Seiko Monster. It may not be as nice as a Sinn, but it's tough as nails, keeps great time and has some of the best Lume in your price range. And you'll save enough $$ to buy two.

image-26.jpg

i wear a Gshock about 99.9 percent of the time, i have a sieko i wear when i go out just cuz my gshock doesn't really impress. I just ordered a Resco, really nice, good story. check em out

Resco Instruments ? Welcome