• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Who has made a stock from scratch?

jevonniespapi

Private
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2009
I'd like to get a new stock... who wouldnt? But with prices... nuf said.

I am looking for info and pics on anyone that has built a stock from nothing or modified their existing stock to make their rifle more accurate, shootable, etc.

I was thinking: creating a skeleton of aluminum cut and machined with home tools, then cover in fiberglass to create the ergonomics..... who am I kidding!!!

Please post your thoughts.

Re: Who has made a stock from scratch?

I have built a few from walnut. One was from a square block and the other was from a zero inlet roughly contoured blank.

I would never do it again and I cant think of anybody who has enough free time to want to do one.

The problem is you need the correct tools and that can get expensive.

I will try to see if I have pictures.

Mark

Mark speaks the truth!
I did it once, in my innocent youth, NEVER AGAIN!

Don B.

I also went down that path once upon a time. It is not worth the time to make one from scratch. The woodworking tools, if you go that route, are expensive and necessary. I also made a fiberglass stock. Building up the stock requires many long hours and after a day of work, the last thing I wanted to do was get covered in fiberglass resin.

I would look here http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcmillan-specials-stocks2.php for discounts on Mcmillans stocks or post something in the WTB section here. Something will turn up in the time it would have taken you to make one from scratch.

I've done a couple from just the square blocks of walnut. I don't do them for any one else anymore. I'll do them for some of my own rifles because can work on them whe I feel like it, and if it takes more time that's OK. This one was actually the second I did for this rifle. The first one got to the point of finish sanding and an inclusion was found in the wrist making the stock unusable = back to square one. Even now with the nelp of my mill start to finish I would have about 200 hours of actual working time to completely do a bolt gun stock start to finish.
DSC00936.jpg

100_1157.jpg

1000771z.jpg

Another member here made this stock, it's made from a single piece of T6, accepts AICS mags, weighs around 4.5 pounds, this stock is the prototype for more to come

Did an English walnut stock, two actually, in gunsmithing school.

Took like 50 hours each. They're not worth what they're worth. 300 for wood, 180 for hardware, then bedding, finish..... About 500 in materials plus too many hours labor to count.

Never again!

I have all the tools, but not the know how. I think I will start with a ruger 10/22 stock for the first one though

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
1000771z.jpg

Another member here made this stock, it's made from a single piece of T6, accepts AICS mags, weighs around 4.5 pounds, this stock is the prototype for more to come</div></div>

More info/pics? That looks like something I could get into.

And as for the wood working guys, i got it. Lots of work. Probably a heavy but beautiful end result though!

Id like to do this outa aluminum or other type of metal.

Its good to hear that Im not the only one with such a "crazy" idea!

I made a copy of a Manners T4/McMillan A5 from several layers
of plywood laminated together with Titebond II wood glue. Made a
undersize copy on a duplicator than wrapped stock with 3 layers of fiberglass boat cloth and resin. Wasn't a paying job, so I painted it with a sponge. Gonna get a makeover soon.

PlywoodStock001.jpg

PlywoodStockwfiberglass.jpg

PlywoodStock009.jpg

PlywoodStock008.jpg

Frankenturd.jpg

this is my current project its curly maple with cambodian ebony adj. cheekpiece. dropping in it a pre-64 action i put a heavy barrel on. hope you like it. going for a kind a classy bench look?
stock.jpg

Whose cheek piece is on that curly maple project?

Too many to list, many hours, some worth it, some not.

I've made several. Ranging from shaping a blank from scratch with a chisel and file to using a CNC milling center. This is for wood.

I've also recently began laying up molds for my version of the good ol M-40 stock that McMillan has been producing since the early 80's. Just a few changes in materials. Carbon, Kevlar, etc.

The latest effort has been in manipulating software to where a guy can order a stock with specific features. Drop, cheek piece rise, cast on/off, shadow lines etc and have one "adam/eve" model that can be manipulated into anything. Deceptively simple sounding until you start diving into it.

Just imagine an excell spreadsheet with all the components being listed and then used to drive a solid model in the computer. plug your variables and "poof" the stock is then altered for that particular customer.

Cool stuff.