• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who here has a swimming pool

Many years ago while on a construction job the house I rented had a pool. I quickly found out I liked the idea of having a pool a lot better than I liked having a pool. That fortunate lesson saved me a lot of money.

Thank you,
MrSmith

Reactions: 91Eunozs
Looking at pool price quotes. Requested automatic pool cover and that option is $16,000. Does that sound correct?

I'd recommend finding a friend who has a pool. They are more expensive to upkeep than you plan for, they are more work than you ever imagined and sometimes they make your house more difficult to sell.

Reactions: jolofree
Do a splash pad / ‘beach’ and water feature
I build inground, Gunite pools. The whole pool is a water feature.

Don't stick your face into the skimmer or reach into one before checking for snakes. Rattlesnakes like to take a dip, swim around and can't get out and use the skimmers as a rest stop.

Pool equipment is hard to find now thanks to the globalist's manufactured pandemic which shut manufacturing down on things like pumps and lights and you'll probably have to search to complete your equipment list.

I’ve gotten more ass at houses with pools than houses without. Just saying.

Just something about a well lit, clean body of water that makes a woman want to strip down.

I’ve gotten more ass at houses with pools than houses without. Just saying.

Just something about a well lit, clean body of water that makes a woman want to strip down.
Thats why I was joked about putting "Specializing in fuck pools and spas" on my business card.

I'd recommend finding a friend who has a pool. They are more expensive to upkeep than you plan for, they are more work than you ever imagined and sometimes they make your house more difficult to sell.
This^^^most lenders look at a pool as a liability. Also doesn't add much value to the house. A $100K pool may only add10K to the property value.

Good info guys. Appreciate it. Looks like we’re going to change the depth from 3.5-8ft down to 3.5 to 6-7ft. None of our friends have 8ft deep pools. Seems that would make it harder to play volley ball, basketball etc

Decided on Hayward heat pump, Hayward Saltrite chlorinator, Hayward DE 60 filter, and a 1.5-2hp Hayward pump. Slide as well.

Our installer is pretty adamant about 1 skimmer and 1 return jet. Our steps are coming off the end of the pool. He says that’s all we will need to keep the water circulating in a rectangular shaped pool. And that putting an additional skimmer and return jet in won’t help filter / circulate the water. That it will just add unnecessary holes in the liner and more plumbing expense. I kinda agree….but every oool I’ve ever been in had more than one return jet. 🤷‍♂️

We are in ours every day from April to October (and in the hot tub the rest of the year). Water has always been and always will be an integral part of my life.
1656430352231.jpeg

Looking at pool price quotes. Requested automatic pool cover and that option is $16,000. Does that sound correct?
yeah that's very much in line even with the metro Boston market

i work in very high end residential landscape. its amazing how much the price of a pool has increased in the last 2 years...and they still can't get them in the ground fast enough

if i were to do a pool:
saltwater
gunite with pebbletech
swim jets
autocover
spa with seperate equipment (i'd much rather have a traditional hot tub thats actually comfortable to sit in though)
equipment in bunker
wet set real stone patio completely surrounding it

yeah that's very much in line even with the metro Boston market

i work in very high end residential landscape. its amazing how much the price of a pool has increased in the last 2 years...and they still can't get them in the ground fast enough

if i were to do a pool:
saltwater
gunite with pebbletech
swim jets
autocover
spa with seperate equipment (i'd much rather have a traditional hot tub thats actually comfortable to sit in though)
equipment in bunker
wet set real stone patio completely surrounding it
Does the Pebbletec make it harder to keep clean, as compared to straight gunite?

Pebbletec/pebblesheen lasts longer than plaster. Plaster can fail within 5-7 years if chemicals aren't maintained well or can last up to 12-15 with proper maint. But it often will require acid wash/polish after awhile.
My understanding is pebble tec/sheen can last 25-30 years.

In Texasc county assessors claim 50% of pool cost adds to the value of the house after a few years. I've heard the same from real-estate agents.
10% seems very low for return on investment. With massive pool costs increases, I don't know if that value ratio still stands.
In Texas, I think it's generally a selling point for most people. But there are definitely no-pool/require-pool shoppers.

For those with a pool, you have to get one of these:

Lots of fun, so much so I landed up getting another one so we can race... works great in the ocean for snorkeling and scuba diving also.

Pebbletec/pebblesheen lasts longer than plaster. Plaster can fail within 5-7 years if chemicals aren't maintained well or can last up to 12-15 with proper maint. But it often will require acid wash/polish after awhile.
My understanding is pebble tec/sheen can last 25-30 years.

In Texasc county assessors claim 50% of pool cost adds to the value of the house after a few years. I've heard the same from real-estate agents.
10% seems very low for return on investment. With massive pool costs increases, I don't know if that value ratio still stands.
In Texas, I think it's generally a selling point for most people. But there are definitely no-pool/require-pool shoppers.
in MA pools generally lower property values oddly enough

Any of you guys use the automation systems? To control your pump, filter, heater, salt chlorinator systems and set schedules etc?

Had one, biggest thing for me is run it at the right temp. A pool should be refreshing, the times you will enjoy it the most are after a workout, after yardwork, etc. Too often I hop in someones pool to find they are running it at 90deg. in the heat of the summer. 83deg is perfect summer pool temp, brisk and refreshing for the first few minutes then all day comfortable after that.