• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who here has modified their AI magazines?

thefitter

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 10, 2010
Guy at the range said some people drill out the spot welds and remove that forward plate.

Anyone ever do that? Pics? Procedural advice?

Thanks

Re: Who here has modified their AI magazines?

I have never done this to my AI mags, but just wanted to share an option with you. Im sure someone will chime in here and give you the ins and outs of removing the forward plate.

Another option is to check out Alpha Mags. They have mutiple versions some with and some without the forward plate, allowing you to load longer.

http://www.alphaindmfg.com/

Yeah, I have seen these. I ordered a similar item from Midway that turned out to be crapola. I'm sending it back.

Now I think I'd rather try and modify one of the 3 that I already have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thefitter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, I have seen these. I ordered a similar item from Midway that turned out to be crayola. I'm sending it back.

</div></div>

Man would the anti-gunners be pissed if they knew crayola was making hi-cap magazines!

Just wanted to chime in and say that you may want to check the feed ramp on your action to see if that would require modification if you were to remove the front plate of the mag (i.e. bullet tip gets caught under ramp).

The alpha mags ARE gaining in popularity, but I've seen even the latest mags not function properly in a surgeon bottom metal. MOST guys have no problems with them, though. It would be nice to have a short 10rd mag like those.

It's not difficult to do, after removing the spot welds just back up the holes with a piece of brass before welding to prevent burn through.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brasscow</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thefitter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, I have seen these. I ordered a similar item from Midway that turned out to be crayola. I'm sending it back.

</div></div>

Man would the anti-gunners be pissed if they knew crayola was making hi-cap magazines!

Just wanted to chime in and say that you may want to check the feed ramp on your action to see if that would require modification if you were to remove the front plate of the mag (i.e. bullet tip gets caught under ramp).

The alpha mags ARE gaining in popularity, but I've seen even the latest mags not function properly in a surgeon bottom metal. MOST guys have no problems with them, though. It would be nice to have a short 10rd mag like those. </div></div>

Sometimes I don't pay attention to the spell check.
crazy.gif

I could understand feed problems if I was using longer rounds but I did not even get to those. And it never was the first round, and these rounds worked fine in a standard AI mag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thefitter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brasscow</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thefitter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, I have seen these. I ordered a similar item from Midway that turned out to be crayola. I'm sending it back.

</div></div>

The alpha mags ARE gaining in popularity, but I've seen even the latest mags not function properly in a surgeon bottom metal. MOST guys have no problems with them, though. It would be nice to have a short 10rd mag like those. </div></div>

Sometimes I don't pay attention to the spell check.
crazy.gif

I could understand feed problems if I was using longer rounds but I did not even get to those. And it never was the first round, and these rounds worked fine in a standard AI mag. </div></div>

Then why do you want to mod the mag?

ProductShots2.jpg

MagazineMods026.jpg

MagazineMods032.jpg

Too be able to load longer rounds.

Although I'm starting to wonder if I need to with this rifle. All the longer rounds I shot today sucked.

I'm loading some shorter ones to see if they do any better tommorow.

I checked FGMM and they measure at the ogive 2.100, Hornady 2.040

I'm also starting to wonder if I'm going about this out of sequence.

Thanks for the pics!!

remember if you do the mod and run a max COL the bullet tips will hang up under the bottom of the feed ramp requiring you to cut a small radius at the bottom of the feed ramp for bullet tip clearance

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thefitter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Too be able to load longer rounds.

Although I'm starting to wonder if I need to with this rifle. All the longer rounds I shot today sucked.

Thanks for the pics!! </div></div>

First single feed until you find the length that works best. Then determine if you need to mod the mags.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thefitter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Too be able to load longer rounds.

Thanks for the pics!! </div></div>

First single feed until you find the length that works best. Then determine if you need to mod the mags. </div></div>

Yes, thats where I'm at now... thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">remember if you do the mod and run a max COL the bullet tips will hang up under the bottom of the feed ramp requiring you to cut a small radius at the bottom of the feed ramp for bullet tip clearance </div></div>

Any pics or tutorial on doing this?

I boughta 300WM AICS mag for my.30-06. I need to put a spacer in the back to lighn rds up with well & want to open up feed-lip to take longer COL rounds. Who's done this & what should I look out for? PS. Mauser K98 action

I just drilled out the welds and epoxied a feeler gauge in place of the thicker brace.

I did the mod and for me it was a big pain in the ass. I dremeled out a notch in the feed ramp to accommodate the longer rounds but it never seemed to be enough. I just kept making it bigger and bigger. In the end I regret it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Impulse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did the mod and for me it was a big pain in the ass. I dremeled out a notch in the feed ramp to accommodate the longer rounds but it never seemed to be enough. I just kept making it bigger and bigger. In the end I regret it. </div></div>

So it never worked right? Did it have any adverse effects?

100_4241-1.jpg

100_4233-1.jpg

100_4234-1.jpg

In the top one you can see the tip of the bullet kicked to the side because the action is round. The plate is in the mag.

Also second one you can see how much length can (may be needed) in the action itself.

Third is the plate itself and you can see the split of the mag walls.

This is my 7mm-08 with 162gr Amax. The little notch is what the gunsmith gave me, it was not enough. I used a carbide cutter in a air grinder and it works but my smith saw it and was mad I didn't give it to him!! He will tune it up better later. My advise is to drill out the 5rd first and see how it works, you will see two little indents on the front of the mag. Drill as close to the center as you can and jump sizes of bits untill the plate pops loose with a flat blade screwdriver. It is not hard, I welded mine but they are not pretty. Any smith worth a shit can do the mag mods, the feed ramps will take some trial and error from my experience.

FWIW: remove the bottom plate as few times as possible. Mine was on and off alot and now the detent is not always enough to keep the plate on. I use white electrical tape with my name on it!!! Mine is a runner not a stunner!
wink.gif

Hi there, I've done this recently. Drilled spots, factory plate 2mm (0.787") thick,
after some variant I've found ruler from hardened steel 0.5mm (0.197") think
to cover holes. Some Dremel job, glued with epoxy, as result COL now +0.06" (+1.5mm)
from standard, approx. 2.94-2.95". Hope this helps.

aics-mag-1.jpg

aics-mag-2.jpg

aics-mag-3.jpg

aics-mag-4.jpg

aics-mag-5.jpg

aics-mag-6.jpg

aics-mag-7.jpg

aics-mag-8.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dallas320i</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi there, I've done this recently. Drilled spots, factory plate 2mm (0.787") thick,
after some variant I've found ruler from hardened steel 0.5mm (0.197") think
to cover holes. Some Dremel job, glued with epoxy, as result COL now +0.06" (+1.5mm)
from standard, approx. 2.94-2.95". Hope this helps.

aics-mag-1.jpg

</div></div>If you use a drill bit smaller than the weld, it does a better job and leaves a small enough hole that you can fill with a Tig or Mig with a little talent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hill billy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you use a drill bit smaller than the weld, it does a better job and leaves a small enough hole that you can fill with a Tig or Mig with a little talent. </div></div>You may try
smile.gif
I was trying smaller holes, 4.5mm first time, no luck to remove plate even with good force, using small steel chisel between mag body and reinforcement plate (which removed) with a hammer. I did not want to change front side mag geometry, after some visible strains I've decided to use large drill bit with no problems. Holes filled with epoxy and painted black, everything is accurate and acceptable for me.

I cut mine from the inside, with a Dremal, takes alittle longer, but no welding. I just wanted to try it, for the guys that do not have access to a welder. It can be done, that plate is just thick. More than one way to skin a cat.

Are those Alpha mags only in 10 round? it doesnt seem to say anywhere.