• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hunting & Fishing Who hunts with Browning Rifles?

keith jones

Minuteman
Sep 14, 2010
Bulls Gap,TN
Been looking at some Browning rifles lately. How is the accuracy, and reliability of these rifles. I have been looking at A-bolt, and Browning Bar. Thanks.

Re: Who hunts with Browning Rifles?

I have a BAR and A bolt and they are good.

Killed a lot of critters with them.

I hunted with an A-Bolt II for 15 or so years up until this year. Great gun, no issues at all. Never missed a deer with it. Only recommendation is to not get stainless stalker. I had a problem with some surface pitting on my barrel back in the day.

I've used a .300WM BAR since about 1992 (for quite a while), although not always exclusively. There has been new toys to favor but I always seem to go back to it.

Decently precise and accurate where the POI groups have remained constant over time and use. I've never had to "chase a zero" per known load and the setup has remained unchanged since I got it setup.

The main comment I would make is how surprisingly reliable the feeding and ejection system has been over temperature and different factory ammo/loads. I trust it and that is a important aspect.

My father also runs one in .338WM and also for a few years longer than I. It's also very popular with him.

With the Browning bluing, it is not something you want to put away wet. My feedback is alittle dated in model year.

My current deer rifle is an X-Bolt in 30-06. Seems to do the job well for me. Accuracy is about 1" at 100. Zero issues with the rifle mechanically.

My dad has an A-Bolt in .270 and his is rock solid too. Can't really go wrong with a good Browning hunting rifle IMO.

While not a huge fan of auto hunting rifles, I have an older Belgian BAR that I would not hesitate to take on any hunt. If someone was looking for an autoloading hunting rifle, I think the BAR is the only logical choice. They are accurate and reliable.

I have owned an A-Bolt in the past and will not own another. Too many bolt guns out there that I would pick over the Browning.

FNAR is a BAR action. I have one and have sold many others and the accuracy is very good. They come with a MOA guarantee and they beat that easy.

I have a 30-06 Bar and a 7MMmag Bar both made in belgium.
The 30-06 is my hunting rifle of choice if I'm hunting the thick stuff never misses never had any hang ups with feeding.

The 7mm is a different story it stove pipes alot and dosen't feed all the time.
I think the big 7 is to much for the action and it is a bit tired
The frist 500 rounds the rifle worked without a hang up and then it went down hill.

Now I use a Browning Highwall in 7 mag for the long stuff.

i've hunted a blr for a long time, i don't find them to be great grouping rifles, but fine to hunt with

I have a abolt medallion 30-06 with a boss that shoots 3/8inch 5 shot groups at 100 yrds, that I have took through hell and back, also have a 308 blr takedown I think is the cats pajamas for a lever gun, to me for a factory hunting rifle you cant beat the quality of a browning

I had a A-bolt in 300WM that I bought used, but like new. No matter what I fed it, I could never get better than 1 1/2 in at a hundred yards. Damned near gave it away.

I had an A-Bolt Stalker for almost 18 years. It was originally a 270 Win that shot good. I had it rebarreled to a 3006 AI that shot great. I only got rid of it cause I "HAD" to have something else and needed to thin the herd.

I kind of wish I would have just gotten a bigger safe.

Used my stainless stalker in 300WM to harvest a cow at 590yds last week. Only tuned the trigger and added a mzl brake.
IMG_1737_zps0ae0bed6.jpg

My dad got me a browning a-bolt .270 boss when I was 12 Im 30 now and have been hunting with it every year since, Its a great gun with no issues. I also have an a-bolt in .308 with the bull barrel boss, a-bolt .22 , and a 7mm bar, the only negative thing I can say about the a-bolt is that there is not of options if you'd like to change out the stock for one.

Lots and lots of whitetail kills with a Belgian BAR in 30-06. One kill in Ontario was 365 yards, ranged. I have owned two, a 308 and this one. I highly recommend the pre-93 BAR's. They were both sub-moa rifles and have a M14 style gas system. Great deer rifles for New England where I live.

I have hunted with an A-Bolt Medallion in 270 with the BOSS since the mid 90's. It was my second centerfire rifle after hunting with a Model 94 as a kid through my mid 20's. It has been a reliable, accurate rifle. With factory Hornady and Black Hills 130gr ammo it consistantly groups under an inch. I can't count the number of game taken with it. I have custom rifles in other calibers now, but the A-Bolt still gets its fair share of use. The A-Bolt would be a fine choice.

The abolts are a good shooting gun, haven't had much luck with the bar even with hand loads best group I could get out of the .243 was 1.1 inch at 100 not great by any means. But who knows maybe I got a shitty one

I have an A-Bolt Stalker in 300 WSM I bought about ten years ago for a hunting gun. I've never had any issues with it, and it shoots the cheap Winchester hunting ammo just a hair above 1 moa. No complaints from me.

I bought an Abolt2 with the Boss in 25/06 for the wife, got both the brake and reg. Boss, built a load running 115gr Berger VLD's and damned if it isn't my favorite hunting rifle....when I can get her to give it up for a day......

BTW, 115VLD is SERIOUS whitetail medicine! DRT EVERY time.

I have used a Belgian BAR for 40 years...... in 30-06..... if you keep them clean and very LITELY oiled they perform great.I hunt in big timber in WI..no fences...no signs....wearing a compass..I still hunt .....the second shot on running deer is invaluable.....

Bill Larson- That is also where I hunt.

I want to start reloading for my 30-06 BAR but would like to use powder that I currently have on my reloading shelf however not sure If any will be suitable for a Semi-Auto 30-06. The 4 powders I have are H1000, H4831 SC, MagPro and 8208 XBR. Of these 4, the only one MFG that lists reloading data for 30-06 is 8208 XBR so this will be where I start- hope to start doing some testing this weekend with Nosler 165- Ballistic Tip Spitzers since these are also at home on the reloading shelf. Just was curious as to if anyone else was reloading for the 30-06 BAR.

Browning A-bolt stalker in 300wsm boss cr
Leupold Mk4 3.5-10
67.0gn of hodgon 4831sc with a 168gn Amax.Tiny tiny groups.
null_zpse356c757.jpg

I use a BAR in '06. They are made to shoot off of the shelf and anything will do, EXCEPT the "superformance" "minimag" loads are over-pressure. I'm currently loading 44.7 IMR 4895 under a 165 Sierra hollow point game king. Shoots right at an inch in my rifle. The spire point Gamekings are good too...

I use a BAR in '06. They are made to shoot off of the shelf and anything will do, EXCEPT the "superformance" "minimag" loads are over-pressure. I'm currently loading 44.7 IMR 4895 under a 165 Sierra hollow point game king. Shoots right at an inch in my rifle. The spire point Gamekings are good too...

Thanks for the info! What is the COAL with the Sierra's your loading to?

This is my A-bolt in 300 WSM bedded in a Richards Super Sporter Thumbhole stock. Naturally correctly fashioned with a LH action. Very accurate with my hand loads.
180 grain Nosler Accubonds on top of 65.5 grains of H4831SC

Coal = 3.185

I loaded up some rounds last night and am stopping at the range on the way home from work and will report back with findings:

BAR 30-06
IMR 8202 XBR 43.5 to 44.5 grains
165 Nosler Ballistic Tips Spitzers
Rem 9.5 primers in Rem and Win once fired brass
All loaded to 3.275'' COAL

IMR rates 8208 just a tad faster than the 4895 to im hoping my loads just under your 44.7 should be close.

Loaded up the same components this last weekend but charges ranged from 44-48 grains. Could not hold 3'' 3 shot groups at 100 yards. Later found my scope base was loosed once I got home- hoping for better results tonight.

I have a Browning Abolt II White Gold Medallion 7mm and its sick. My dad has a BAR 3006 thats from the 80s and he loves it. Very reliable and accurate

4 Belgian Grade II BARs 270 30-06 2x243s, 3 micro medallions 22 hornet , 22-250 , 7 mm08, 2x BBR Belgium fn action 264 win mags here at the house

yeah and they have all killed a lot of crap!

I have several brownings and they are good reliable guns.The one I have been hunting with for the last 10 or 12 years is a stainless abolt stalker in 30-06.It has not been one of the most accurate rifles that I own because browning has always had harmonic issues with there barrels.Now I reload and it shoots fine.I love the actions and the bolt throw on them.Mine has been all over the country and never let me down.I think they have improved the new abolts on accuracy due to other manufacturers guaranteeing 1 inch groups or better at a 100 yds.