• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Who is Vortex

77Bronc

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2006
Louisiana
Without starting a firestorm, can someone tell me who is Vortex...seems they just popped up and everyone is just raving about them...Where are they made? Are they just the latest fad on the market? The Apple iPhone 5 of the day?

If you are really serious about your optics, is Vortex in the running?

Re: Who is Vortex

Vortex hasn't been around for decades like some manufacturers, but they are a very well established name. Their scopes are excellent value and quality for their respective price ranges, and they stand behind their product with one of the best warranties in the business. Perhaps most importantly they pay attention to the desires of the community and are making optics with features that people want at prices they're willing to spend. As far as I know, their optics are made in the Philippians with Japanese glass.

They're far from flavor of the week and they just keep making great stuff.

Actually Vortex has been around for a while, just not making scopes but selling them.

Eagle Optics

Their scopes are made in the same place as other well established brands, just to their personal specs. They do so well because they listen to the customer and react much quicker giving the user what they ask for. Every time you attend a bigger tactical match you'll find Scott from Vortex there, interacting, competing and listening to the guy on the range.

Lots of well known brands are chasing Vortex because of this...

The Razor line in made in Japan, and I love my 5-20 Razor HD. My friend has a Viper PST 4-16 and is very happy with it. Great company to deal with to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some of their stuff is Japanese, some is Chinese. </div></div>

Only the cheap entry level ones are Chinese, like the Crossfire series.

Who is Vortex?

IMHO, Vortex is a truly great American Company that
happens to make scopes and other optical accessories.
Excellent people at Vortex.

I'm impressed with the vortex psts I've used so far. I bought one to put on my 338 lapua. I'll get to use it next weekend and see how it works out. I would love to try a razor to get more elevation and even better glass.

Vortex makes some really good scopes for the money. I would hesitate to buy one, but would suggest the PST or Razor lines.

Bot one, 2 weeks later bot another one. I own Leupys, weavers,Burris and the vortex is the best value and qualty of the whole.

fwiw, the PST is Made (or atleast assembled) in the Philippines.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm impressed with the vortex psts I've used so far. I bought one to put on my 338 lapua. I'll get to use it next weekend and see how it works out. I would love to try a razor to get more elevation and even better glass.</div></div>

I have one of each, there is a huge difference between the two as far as controls, Z-stop, optical clarity, weight....(not only $$) I kinda wish the PST's EBR-1 was a option in the Razor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mdavlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm impressed with the vortex psts I've used so far. I bought one to put on my 338 lapua. I'll get to use it next weekend and see how it works out. I would love to try a razor to get more elevation and even better glass. </div></div>

+1 on the PST &TSR Viper Mike.
I thought Vortex offered the EBR1 in Razor......

I have a 2 crossfires, Viper and PST. I have had to use their CS twice. On the PST it was broken in delivery. The Crossfires reticule went south. In both cases Vortex had the scopes back in my hand in 7 Working days.
They kept me informed as to what was going on and then what they were going to do for me.
Next will be a Razor for me and I can't wait to spend the money!!!

Add the fact that they support our sport more than most other optic purveyors.

I would like to see the EBR 2 in the pst line instead of just the razor. That's the reticle I would like to try out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually Vortex has been around for a while, just not making scopes but selling them.

Eagle Optics </div></div>
So are Vortex and Eagle Optics the same? Several years ago I got a pair of Eagle Optics 10X40 (42?) Ranger binoculars. Good binocs. Was out deer hunting one day. Looked through binoculars to get a closer look at something. Immediately after I raised my rifle to look through the scope, a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14. Thought the resolution and image quality was better through the buckmaster. Just my subjective opinion at the time.
The only Vortex scope I have is a Viper 3-9X40 on a .270 Win hunting rifle. Good glass. But I've never put it side by side with the buckmaster.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Natty Bumpo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually Vortex has been around for a while, just not making scopes but selling them.

So are Vortex and Eagle Optics the same? Several years ago I got a pair of Eagle Optics 10X40 (42?) Ranger binoculars. Good binocs. Was out deer hunting one day. Looked through binoculars to get a closer look at something. Immediately after I raised my rifle to look through the scope, a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14. Thought the resolution and image quality was better through the buckmaster. Just my subjective opinion at the time.
The only Vortex scope I have is a Viper 3-9X40 on a .270 Win hunting rifle. Good glass. But I've never put it side by side with the buckmaster.
</div></div>

Yes Vortex is Eagle optics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Natty Bumpo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually Vortex has been around for a while, just not making scopes but selling them.

</div></div>

When you have a habit of buying the lowest models available, of course you won't see it as being stellar, but the company has different options and has so much more, especially at the higher end of the optics spectrum.

Value for the dollar is great. A huge plus (for me at least)is the warranty. It protects my investment. I had the eye piece upgraded (for free, who does that besides Vortex) on my RAZOR and out and back was less than a week. Great company to work with.

yeah vortex has taken the optics by storm. I think the real amazing thing is how they managed to get their product out in so many locations, they are very very good at marketing themselves, but this is all from a business prospective. in reality they are a marketing company that doesn't make anything to my knowledge. they just brand product that is normally made somewhere in asia. this isn't necessarily always a good thing because it makes it harder to control the end product. BUT I will say everyone raves about he customer service and when you send an email suggesting something a real person responds back quickly. I personally have trouble spending the big money on their high end stuff because I worry about it being phased out and heavily discounted and thus I loose my resale value. a buddy of mine without consulting me bought a vortex skyline spotter. he paid over $700 for it at the time. within 6 mos that model was being closed out for $450. with me and optics I upgrade when I can and when something else better comes along. I depend on retained value of the old optic to pay for most of the upgrade. I see this as hard to do with a vortex product. The viper line be it scopes or spotting scopes are very good optically. time will tell if they change and have models that are mainstays and don't change alot as they become a more established company. for what its worth vortex being a marketing company isn't really any different than most optics companies. but the ones that actually make the product like, leupold, nightforce ETC, oh wait nightforce just does assembly right?? anyway they seem to have higher resale values.

You got to be kidding?

Just a marketing company?

You just haven't been along for the ride evidently.

Unless marketing companies listen to their client base and then make scopes with the features their clients want.

I think the transferable VIP warranty if anything would keep their resale value higher

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You got to be kidding?

Just a marketing company?

You just haven't been along for the ride evidently.

Unless marketing companies listen to their client base and then make scopes with the features their clients want. </div></div>

its your money do what you want. I just gave my opinion of the company. I actually admire the company and how they have built it. I don't think a raw raw vortex was the subjective opinion that the poster asked for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outdoorsman9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the transferable VIP warranty if anything would keep their resale value higher </div></div>

it does, if you watch the classifieds the demand for the pst line keeps values near new and somthings the pst line is so hard to find that you will see them sell in the classifieds for new or slightly above new prices

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cummins cowboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yeah vortex has taken the optics by storm. I think the real amazing thing is how they managed to get their product out in so many locations, they are very very good at marketing themselves, but this is all from a business prospective. in reality they are a marketing company that doesn't make anything to my knowledge. they just brand product that is normally made somewhere in asia. this isn't necessarily always a good thing because it makes it harder to control the end product. BUT I will say everyone raves about he customer service and when you send an email suggesting something a real person responds back quickly. I personally have trouble spending the big money on their high end stuff because I worry about it being phased out and heavily discounted and thus I loose my resale value. a buddy of mine without consulting me bought a vortex skyline spotter. he paid over $700 for it at the time. within 6 mos that model was being closed out for $450. with me and optics I upgrade when I can and when something else better comes along. I depend on retained value of the old optic to pay for most of the upgrade. I see this as hard to do with a vortex product. The viper line be it scopes or spotting scopes are very good optically. time will tell if they change and have models that are mainstays and don't change alot as they become a more established company. for what its worth vortex being a marketing company isn't really any different than most optics companies. but the ones that actually make the product like, leupold, nightforce ETC, oh wait nightforce just does assembly right?? anyway they seem to have higher resale values. </div></div>

They have also go a long way out of their way to help customers. Changing the reticle to the EB-2R, the new eyepiece, etc. they look at their customers as a long term relationship and they invest in that.....

Vortex PST 1-4x that I have is stupid good, I use it on so many different weapons to shoot with. Zero stop, mil ret, illuminated, tough (I have dropped this one a few times), appears to track well (although I find myself using the reticle more than turning turrets).

I bet it has so many scope makers flipping out, that when I hold a scope now that is at the same price point, I just kind of go, why would I buy this?

My PST hasn't let me down yet, very happy. If that makes me a fanboi, put me in a speedo and hand me some pom poms.

Sooo...

If we aren't degrading the company by calling them a marketing company instead of an optics company we are "raw raw"?

Am I getting trolled?

You guys can call them what you want, but I have tried and enjoyed most of the high end optics. Not nearly as much as many here, but a lot relative to the general public.

Vortex is a great value. Their Viper binos replaced Leica binos I had and I dont feel I am giving up anything personally. Not just a great value at ~$500, but great glasses for everything I do. As good as any I have used.

Their PST scopes are maybe a notch behind the $3000+ scopes(when considering how heavy duty they seem to be built), but not far at all. And certainly a better value in my opinion. I havent had one of their razor scopes, but am getting ready to buy the 1-6 (would have already if they started with mil instead of the moa Miculek) for my 300Blk SBR.

If you use them, and evaluate them fairly, I dont see how anyone could come to any other conclusion. And then they have as good a warranty as a company can have. They pretty much make it risk free to try them out.

I just know that used Vortex PSTs never last very long at all on the sales board. So they must be doing something right.
I'm always a few hours late, but will keep looking.

When I compared my PST Viper to my Leupold
VX3 6.5-20x44 EFR- I then and there understood
just what an excellent value the PST really is.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MINITS iWitness</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They also just won binocular of the year with the Razor HD: http://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/Vortex8x42RazorHD-104.htm </div></div>

I love those glasses. I just picked up a pair a month or so back.

ETA- mine are actually the Viper HD, not the Razor.

I prefer my Razor HD right now to my Mark 4s
and my USO. I don't have a single bad thing to say about USO
just to be clear but I've been using my Razor more and I love it.

Seeing knuckleheads talk shit about Vortex just opens up the market for those who have been on waiting lists forever for the "shit" product.

You can shit the snowbird, but you cannot snow the shitbird.

I own 3 and will own them as my needs persist.

Vortex Viper PST. I have owned Nightforce before, and I can honestly say for the money, the PST handles the job very very well. Give Mike @ CSTactical a call, he will hook you up!!

DK

Vortex had a booth at Hunting show a while back, never seen them at one before. I was telling one of the guys working the booth how much I love my PST and how easy it was dealing with customer service. Guy gave me a free Vortex hat and said thanks for my business. Vortex is a good!

For what it's worth I haven't looked through one, but after days of research chose one simply for the features at what price it comes in at. Just be warned, there's a backorder on the PST scopes.

I actually got tired of waiting and decided to try to find an in stock scope with the same features... Most stuff I found came in at a grand or more.

I e-mailed the customer service to ask about the backlog as well after I hadn't heard anything for awhile from the people I ordered it from, unbelievable customer service from them. Was a nice change of pace over the form letters and such that I'm used to lately.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ubergeek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have a razor hd spotting scope. What a great hunk of glass! </div></div>

+1! I love the one i've had for a month or so.

I have 2 VV PST's FFP 4-16X50 and really like them. I usually buy Nightforce scopes but so far the PST's are working out fine. Time will tell if they will hold up as well as a Nightforce under normal, not adverse conditions. If they do they have a real winner.

I have 2 Razors in the EBR-2 reticle.

Great scopes... a few tradeoffs with them though.

The 35mm tube limits options for rings somewhat, especially if you want QD... non-issue for me though. The rings available in 35mm are great though, just limited.

The sight box gets very picky as you increase magnification.

It's large.

Some people whine about the turret size.

I like mine though and would buy them again.