• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Who knows what "Semper Fi" means?

dangerdan87

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2009
Tyler, TX
So I am having an email conversation with a guy that does custom embroidery for some Major League Zombie Killer patches I am going to have made. At the end of my emails, I put "Semper Fi" as I am a Marine and it's second nature to me. Anyway, he started calling me "Semper", as if was my name
shocked.gif

Re: Who knows what "Semper Fi" means?

Semper Fidelis is Latin for "Always Faithful".

Yes I know what it means... I guess I though nearly every American knew what Semper Fi was and who it pertained to.

Either a case of post count bumping, a misunderstanding (see poster's location), or newbie/trolling.

But I would have expected that someone making "morale" patches geared toward military personnel would have known what that meant. But I am no longer surprised by the words of an under-informed or completely uninformed public these days especially pertaining to the military.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dangedan87</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I am having an email conversation with a guy that does custom embroidery for some Major League Zombie Killer patches I am going to have made. At the end of my emails, I put "Semper Fi" as I am a Marine and it's second nature to me. Anyway, he started calling me "Semper", as if was my name
shocked.gif
</div></div>

Respond back to the guy and tell him that you like to be called "Fi" not "Semper" as a hiden joke.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zeroed1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Either a case of post count bumping, a misunderstanding (see poster's location), or newbie/trolling.</div></div>

If your referring to "Jan"...he has been member longer than you have and has fewer post so my bet would be he is not concerned about bumping post count or a being a troll. My bet would be translation type thing
smile.gif

Thanks

You would think that just about everyone would know what it means by now, however... After graduation at Paris Island my mother and I were in the exchange and she red a t-shirt out loud "Semper Fee". Obviously she was corrected and the meaning had to be explained. Apparently our culture isnt as well known as we think it is.

Does your Mother speak French, Spanish, Italian or Latin fluently? I ask because Fidelis is pronounced "Fee-dehl-ees" in those languages. Ironic that the name Fidel, (as in the shit bag Castro) comes from the Latin; Fidelis.

I am not a Marine, nor do I speak Latin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does your Mother speak French, Spanish, Italian or Latin fluently? I ask because Fidelis is pronounced "Fee-dehl-ees" in those languages. Ironic that the name Fidel, (as in the shit bag Castro) comes from the Latin; Fidelis.

I am not a Marine, nor do I speak Latin. </div></div>

cliff.jpg

The first Data book was invented by the Peloponesians in an effort to maximize the accuracy of their slingshots...

Theirs had fewer mispellings however
laugh.gif

-Semper Ubi Mondus Sub Ubi-

"Always Wear Clean UnderWear" This is the best I can offer here, as I am not a Marine, nor do I pretend to be one on TV.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The first Data book was invented by the Peloponesians in an effort to maximize the accuracy of their slingshots...

</div></div>

that's right it was during the Battle of Buffaloes where the King of Cambodia was executed by Anti-Moulin Rougers

Semper Fi means many things. It can be an answer in the positive. It can be an agreement that two of you are looking at some asshat. It can also be used to give an Officer of Marines a positive answer that you understand(or see the second use). It can be used as a greeting or when walking away from a Brother. I suppose it has teh same meanings as Ooh Rah as well.
Semper Fidelis Fraterna

I felt compelled to participate in such an enlightening conversation.

"Semper Fat Bitches"

bikini2.jpg

I was not a Marine, but my brother was. In his opinion it is a term that should be respected and not taken lightly. Certainly it has no place on a tee shirt, with the exception of the few who earned it. Tom.

Well, if you are at Paris Island and have just graduated bootcamp i believe you have earned it. I have been a Marine for quite a few years so i am pretty sure i understand the meaning, the respect it deserves, and the history of the term in relation to the Marine Corps.

"When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults."

They'll get my trebuchet when they pry it from my cold dead fingers...

"Semper Fat Bitches"...........never mind, laughing to hard to type!

-Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ukdave28</div><div class="ubbcode-body">De oppresso liber

Before anyone asks.... it means "To Liberate the Oppressed" </div></div>

LOL, in what language? Definitely not in latin. Perhaps he meant something more like oppressantur liberare.

Sadly, that there is some shameful Latin, literally meaning, no it means nothing because the grammar is so bad, but reading it in an english mind says something like "Of/toward, I oppress, freedom." Basically it says something damn near opposite its intention. I can't believe nobody ever called BS on it before it became mainstream.

Nacho Libre, liberate the nacho's from the cheese!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The_Punisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nacho Libre, liberate the nacho's from the cheese! </div></div>

Finally.. someone that is insightful and intelligent.
These other posts are just shallow and uninspiring.

The Nacho was originally made by the Mayans but the recipe was stolen in a night raid by hungry Toltecs, who then gave it up to pushy Aztecs in a futile attempt at tribute.

The cheese symbolizes the smegma of defeat...