• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Who likes shooting coyotes at 800+ yards?

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    Apparently I do. And set up differently this year with a 6.5 Creedmoor instead of a 308.

Finishing up load data and dragging this out into the desert/mountains for those daytime coyotes that think they're safe since they can't hear/see/smell anything bad. And it seems to work out just a bit shorter at night with the clip on and a PEQ2A on the side.

M24A2 with correct marked long action, PCR built
    6.5 Creedmoor 24" Krieger with correct M24 crown work
    MARS rail
    Badger M24A2 bottom metal
    HSPrecision PST026
    Nightforce F1 with Horus H58 (1 of 3 used in the MK13 trials)
    Piggy saddle
    Manfrotto 055 tripod with bike handle head and QD mount
    HOG sling for use with tripod
    Paint done by Shortbus (still need to paint the optic)

Attachments

• M24A2.jpg
      M24A2.jpg
      84.5 KB · Views: 19
    I took a guess this year on one that wouldn't come in, he just sat there, and I guessed 1200yds. I missed. I only missed by about 5ft when I expected to miss by a bus length so I felt pretty good. I've only gotten actual hits to 400yds. I have a lot more success here hunting point blank in the thick brush and in washes. I hope you roll a whole pack at 800 in their den before they know what hit em. Good luck!

Apparently I do. And set up differently this year with a 6.5 Creedmoor instead of a 308.

Finishing up load data and dragging this out into the desert/mountains for those daytime coyotes that think they're safe since they can't hear/see/smell anything bad. And it seems to work out just a bit shorter at night with the clip on and a PEQ2A on the side.

M24A2 with correct marked long action, PCR built
    6.5 Creedmoor 24" Krieger with correct M24 crown work
    MARS rail
    Badger M24A2 bottom metal
    HSPrecision PST026
    Nightforce F1 with Horus H58 (1 of 3 used in the MK13 trials)
    Piggy saddle
    Manfrotto 055 tripod with bike handle head and QD mount
    HOG sling for use with tripod
    Paint done by Shortbus (still need to paint the optic)
    I missed one by an inch or to last winter at 897 yds. With my 243 ackley .The wind got me. Bullet hit the gut pile he was eating and he took off.

I have had good results with a 22x47 lapua with the 80 grain vld at and past the 800 mark. I have been using the 6x47 the last couple years and this year will use the 243 AI. Good luck to you and nice set up.

I missed one by an inch or to last winter at 897 yds. With my 243 ackley .The wind got me. Bullet hit the gut pile he was eating and he took off.

Missed by an inch at 897 yards... ;) Your eyes are a helluva lot better than mine for sure. Are you sure it wasn't two or three inches? Helluva poke regardless. I hope to shoot one at 1008.5 yards, but the terrain in most of the areas I hunt are not conducive to such feats of markmanship & luck. Plus my rangefinder on snowy backgrounds does not work so well sometimes.

Missed by an inch at 897 yards... ;) Your eyes are a helluva lot better than mine for sure. Are you sure it wasn't two or three inches? Helluva poke regardless. I hope to shoot one at 1008.5 yards, but the terrain in most of the areas I hunt are not conducive to such feats of markmanship & luck. Plus my rangefinder on snowy backgrounds does not work so well sometimes.

Could have been more. I know it was close. I could see through the scope when his head whipped as the bullet went by. U want to be my spotter next time?

i`d like to try coyote hunting , there`s a swamp about 25 miles from me and my son has calls and mojos maybe i`ll give it a go. i have a 308.set up with nightforce atcar.i just need a bipod. or do i need a shooting stick. what do think...

German, have you actually dropped them at the longer ranges you are shooting at yet or just educating them?
    Got any coyote pics of any shot at that range.?
    Ive shot more than a handful at the 550-600 yard line in the last 40yrs, BUT I still like them under 150 yards and running into my calling.

German, have you actually dropped them at the longer ranges you are shooting at yet or just educating them?
    Got any coyote pics of any shot at that range.?
    Ive shot more than a handful at the 550-600 yard line in the last 40yrs, BUT I still like them under 150 yards and running into my calling.

Wonder how many handfuls you've educated in 40yrs, then? Truck-fulls, more likely. As in 100yd dump trailer kinda truck-fulls.
    No one on Planet Earth can claim to have killed every coyote that has heard calls made on their stands, so "educating" coyotes becomes a sobering inevitability.

IMHO, if a coyote hangs up at distance, its already seen/smelled/heard something it didn't like...AKA "educated". Otherwise, it would have come to the call in the first place. If ya got the gear, skills and the time to set up for a long shot, I say go for it!

Ever bump a coyote on the way to a stand, then make the stand anyway? What about all the coyotes you didn't know you bumped? Are any of those coyotes any less "educated", than if they were shot at? A nose full of 'human' will turn a coyote inside-out faster than any gunshot will...

What about idiot callers who crank up the pup distress on every stand, then wonder why their area gets burned out to calling? It ain't because of gunfire, I can tell ya that!

What about the coyote(s) that escape when multiples show up? Aren't those coyotes gettin' advanced level Ph.D schooling?

What about the coyote(s) you never see on stand???

Guys who imply that they don't "educate" coyotes are full of shit.

Just sayin' I don't see any harm in further "educating" a hung up coyote by taking a calculated shot with a capable rifle. If anything, you're potentially cleaning up a mess by removing that fucker from the area...

^^^ Oh I know Ive educated more than a hand full in that time, maybe not a semi trailer full, but then again its very possible that it could be even more as the ones you never see or hear can be more than a train load & only God knows about those. Id be an Obama liar if say Ive never missed. I have missed at less than 50 yards even.
    You are right on the points above and Id bet $3.89 everyone of us who call coyotes have done more than 2 of your statements.
    How many as you said have heard a sound and went the other way w/out never being seen....hundreds or more
    When German does get out and has them at 800+ yards Id still like to know if its missed/dead or an escape.