• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who lives in Georgia?

dannydifalco

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2011
New York
I may be moving here late next year. Havent decided on a town! But see ALOT of you live here. So i was curious whats some nice rural, low crime, nice, active towns, with alot of shooting ranges/clubs. Thanks!

Re: Who lives in Georgia?

The surrounding areas outside Atlanta.....they'll have plenty of ranges, plenty of shopping/businesses/recreation, but be far enough away from the crap that comes with a big city....

I live in NW Ga. Lots of open space and proprty isn't too bad for what you might pay.

Great state to live in. Move here 17 years a go.

North Georgia is the place to be. Ellijay, Dahlonega, Hiawassee, and higher. Beautiful scenery, very friendly people; just make sure you learn how to drive in the mountains before coming down, otherwise people will hate you. I live outside of Atlanta, and it's a nice area with plenty to do, but the mountains are just so much prettier and nicer.

That being said, if you want super long ranges 1000yd+ you'll either have to drive to middle/south GA or live there. Middle/South Georgia has a lot of hog hunting, some fantastic long ranges, and plenty of rural lake areas which are quite beautiful, it's just very flat and brown.

The middle GA area has some nice places to live and usually there are a few large tracts of land available.

There is a 2400 sq ft 3 br with full mostly finished basement on 7 acres next to me that will be sold soon for "in the neighborhood of 120 K"
The neighbor --me-- has a 200 yd range
Just out of Dallas.

Nice area

I live outside of Savannah. Relatively decent place to live, but there isn't really shit for long range shooting around here. A couple of indoor ranges that I've never patronized that seem decent, but for LR rifle? Get out your gas card, cause you're gonna need it driving miles upon miles to a range that extends beyond 100 yards.

Put it this way, I'm so damn frustrated with the lack of a place to shoot LR, that I've all but hung up my LR rifles and have focused almost exclusively on USPSA.

Fort Gordon in Augusta has a 900yd range, but they have a caliber resitriction of nothing above 300RUM if memory serves. There is the Carolina Star range in Aiken, SC (close to Augusta) that goes out to 500yds with no restrictions. There is Cool Acres Sporting Camp in Swainsboro that goes out to 1200yds. A coworker of mine is working on a 700+yd range with some people in Millen that will have no restrictions.

Augusta is okay if you have to live there, but I don't personally like it. Swainsboro and Millen are both very rural and I like both towns, but you'll be limited when it comes to class III dealers. The closest I know of for those areas are in Waynesboro and Savannah.

Waynesboro has a Class 3 dealer? ??? There are 2 Class 3 s that I know of in Augusta.

Columbia country is where I live, just ourside of Augusta. I work at the range on fort gordon. I know a class three dealer 10 minutes from my shop. If you need info on my range, call 706-791-5078.

Our area is a nice place to live and play, just dont move into Augusta........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrfudd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Waynesboro has a Class 3 dealer? ??? There are 2 Class 3 s that I know of in Augusta. </div></div>

A couple in the augusta area, a buddy of mine is a class three in Millen, 14 miles south of waynesboro.....

Athens and sorounding area is very nice ! College town with plenty of stuff to do ! Gun ranges real close gun site hills 800 yards and elberton gun club ! And a bunch of good gun smiths to boot ! APA, Acurate oridances , Robert gradous , Dixie precision just to name a few..... Isaac

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captain zeke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Athens and sorounding area is very nice ! College town with plenty of stuff to do ! Gun ranges real close gun site hills 800 yards and elberton gun club ! And a bunch of good gun smiths to boot ! APA, Acurate oridances , Robert gradous , Dixie precision just to name a few..... Isaac </div></div>

+1

Im in Newnan ga, a growing town that just built a new hospital and cancer centre. we are 30 min SW of the atl airport, 2 hour from www.gunsitehills.com and 1.5 hours from Hard Rock 600-1000yds.

OK. Live in Roswell but grew up in Eatonton/Putnam County.

Have pasture range out to 800 meters and a range on national forest land out to 1000 meters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wolvenhaven</div><div class="ubbcode-body">North Georgia is the place to be. Ellijay, Dahlonega, Hiawassee, and higher. Beautiful scenery, very friendly people; just make sure you learn how to drive in the mountains before coming down, otherwise people will hate you. I live outside of Atlanta, and it's a nice area with plenty to do, but the mountains are just so much prettier and nicer.

That being said, if you want super long ranges 1000yd+ you'll either have to drive to middle/south GA or live there. Middle/South Georgia has a lot of hog hunting, some fantastic long ranges, and plenty of rural lake areas which are quite beautiful, it's just very flat and brown. </div></div>

+1 (;

East Cobb (NorthEast of Marietta, GA) has the best schools in the state if you have kids,
otherwise, the long ranges are in South GA unless you hit the Rome area, then you are within driving distance to Alabama.
or if you want your kid to be a Major League baseball player, East Cobb is where you want to be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelman303</div><div class="ubbcode-body">East Cobb (NorthEast of Marietta, GA) has the best schools in the state if you have kids,
otherwise, the long ranges are in South GA unless you hit the Rome area, then you are within driving distance to Alabama.
or if you want your kid to be a Major League baseball player, East Cobb is where you want to be. </div></div>

Except Sprayberry. I went there, and it was terrible.

I am in the Columbus/Ft. Benning Area. The range in Blakley is about 1.5 hrs away. You can shoot on Ft. Benning with CRC gun club. We have monthly matches from smallbore to F-class. Fl. is not too far either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wolvenhaven</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelman303</div><div class="ubbcode-body">East Cobb (NorthEast of Marietta, GA) has the best schools in the state if you have kids,
or if you want your kid to be a Major League baseball player, East Cobb is where you want to be. </div></div>

Except Sprayberry. I went there, and it was terrible. </div></div>

Sprayberry is NOT East Cobb....

Actually I just finished an expansion to Sprayberry.
Sprayberry is good if you are into the music program.

I am in the Walton district now.
Kids go to Faith Lutheran (private) & probably will until they end up at Walton.

+1 on the Athens area.
I lived there for 3 years.
(part of that time just outside of Lexington)
great area.
Highly recomend.

Should of probably added more info to this! I am 20yrs old. No kids thanks god! I am getting an apartment!
WANTS
-Rural area
-Close to water/florida
-shooting friendly
-Has some job opportunities.
-Low crime
-cheap to live

Valdosta , Savannah or maybe thomasville.. realistically atl is a 4hr drive to the state line. Move a little further south to McDonough and you are within an hour to atl and macon

I sure anywhere is fine it all looks the same to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DannyDifalco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Should of probably added more info to this! I am 20yrs old. No kids thanks god! I am getting an apartment!
WANTS
-Rural area
-Close to water/florida
-shooting friendly
-Low crime
-cheap to live </div></div>

Moultrie, Thomasville, Cairo, Blakely, Arlington
all pretty good.
Not many high paying jobs there though but they do have a low cost of living.
They do have jobs there.
It may be worth doing a job search in the different areas & doing a drive through before deciding on a location.
What kind of job are you looking for?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parallax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thinking of a move to warmer more useful winters myself... does Georgia tax public pensions ? </div></div>

Call my CPA
Michael Marks
Marietta, GA 30066
770-973-7755

He'll be able to tell you.
Smart guy, great with the tax laws.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelman303</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DannyDifalco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Should of probably added more info to this! I am 20yrs old. No kids thanks god! I am getting an apartment!
WANTS
-Rural area
-Close to water/florida
-shooting friendly
-Low crime
-cheap to live </div></div>

Moultrie, Thomasville, Cairo, Blakely, Arlington
all pretty good.
Not many high paying jobs there though but they do have a low cost of living.
They do have jobs there.
It may be worth doing a job search in the different areas & doing a drive through before deciding on a location.
What kind of job are you looking for?</div></div>
Good idea on the job searching! And im looking for any type of job which is hands on. Guns involved is a big plus! My life goal is to get my FFL and open a gun store and range.

in that case, try Butler, GA
you have Barrow hardware which is a huge gun dealer.
or
Athens, GA has Franklins
it's Georgia, there's guns.

Lived in South GA all but 2.5 years of my life. A little town between Thomasville and Valdosta. Plenty of places to shoot. I couldnt take the rush of anywhere near Atlanta but I agree the rolling terrain is nice. If you live in South GA, you are smack in the middle of awesome hunting and and hour away from the Gulf. Best of both worlds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelman303</div><div class="ubbcode-body">in that case, try Butler, GA
you have Barrow hardware which is a huge gun dealer.
or
Athens, GA has Franklins
it's Georgia, there's guns. </div></div>

You forgot Clydes, it's right across the street from Franklins and just as big, and they're a class 3 dealer as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And their prices on ammo are on helluva lot better.

Bought my AAC "Cyclone" from them. </div></div>

Damn, can't believe i forgot about that....

I haven't purchaced anything but reloading componenets & shotgunshells for several years. Not sure about ammo prices these days.
I haven't been to Athens in 2 years for anything but business at the Merial pharma plant there.
I don't get around there as much as I used to. There used to be a little pawn shop on the south side of Athens (headed toward Crawford/Lexington) that was pretty good.

I live in Gordon County. 45 mins from Chattanooga and 45 mins from Atlanta. Born and raised here.

when it cools off a bit, we should have a S.H. BBQ for GA/AL members (all welcome of course).
There's a great gathering over in the midwest, why not have one on the east coast. I am a member of Floyd County Wildlife Club up in Rome. I'm sure they would be glad to host such an event.
(lots of stuff there, google it)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelman303</div><div class="ubbcode-body">when it cools off a bit, we should have a S.H. BBQ for GA/AL members (all welcome of course).
There's a great gathering over in the midwest, why not have one on the east coast. I am a member of Floyd County Wildlife Club up in Rome. I'm sure they would be glad to host such an event.
(lots of stuff there, google it) </div></div>

I second the motion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steelman303</div><div class="ubbcode-body">when it cools off a bit, we should have a S.H. BBQ for GA/AL members (all welcome of course).
(lots of stuff there, google it) </div></div>
Sounds like a good plan

I spent 6 months at Ft. Benning for basic training in 2008 and just went back last week for civilian work, all I can say is compared to Colorado, that state sucks! Hot, humid, ticks, chiggers, rattlesnakes, water moccasins, gators, crime, mud, etc. etc. I'd be happy if I never was east of the Mississippi again...granted there are loads of good people in the east, but the land is not for me!

Give me the Rocky Mountains everytime!

P8010316-1.jpg

P6220479.jpg

20500141565.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I make a mean pot of brunswick stew.
</div></div>

No where near as good as my Wife makes it. Of course it helps that she was born and raised in Ga.

Got this guys picture while I was out there. I decided to sneak up on him. Then realized 10 feet away was uncomfortable close.

colorado2012194.jpg

Run as far as you can from Atlanta like Luke said. There are alot better places to live besides the ATL. I would start lookin at Colorado and go west from there. I live here and worked all over the US and it sucks to come back to the ATL. The only thing that keeps me here is my family.

Just moved to Georgia 4 weeks ago from Nevada for work. Live in Covington, work in Jackson. Will be looking for a place to shoot in the near future.