• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos Who made this??

bigwill214

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2010
Redmond, OR
Ok I got this barrel from a local shop and was told it was from Hart. Of course I jumped and got it. Now after the fact I find out from Hart that it is not one of theirs. So my question is who made it? It is .30cal 14tw. Any help in identification would be great.

Re: Who made this??

Well my guess on what characters stamped mean are...

C=Chrome Moly
5=#of lands
7=caliber or maybe even contour but would think caliber

However, that is just a wild assed guess. Numerous makers stamp everything but their birthday on some. Obermeyer, Krieger, Bartlein, Rock, Shilen,Douglas and Border are to name a few. Some I have seen with little info would be Gary Schneider who marks them similar to yours. Also Hart is skimpy on specs they stamp. If Hart said it wasn't theirs I would believe them. Found a blank on GB awhile back I was sure was an older Hart but seller listed it as a Shilen. Sent a pic the seller posted to Karen and she went out of her way to find an older employee that confirmed it was indeed a Hart.

If it isn't a Schneider then it could be some lesser known such as Half Moon, Schultz(no longer in business) or a Lawerence etc. or????? Never had a Lilja, so don't know how they mark theirs. How old is it? Is it chrome moly or perhaps stainless?

Next one with any experience who sees your pic may know instantly whos it is or you may never find out if the seller don't know!

Send a pic to Gary Schneider, may well be your best shot and it is his.

Sorry for more confusion.

Respectfully,
Dennis

I've got the stamped end of a Shilen barrel from a Mauser I pieced together with a friend back in the late 90's.

It's marked with "Shilen" "SM" "308" "S" "7" "B" "10"

I'm thinking that if it was a Shilen, it would have more info stamped on it.

I know it doesn't answer your question, but it could eliminate one from the list. Good luck on the quest. I hope it turns out that you have a good barrel in your possession.

Hi not sure it is strange not to have the calibre and twist rate on it as mentioned mabe it is chrome molly and is it a 5 grove? it does also look like a No7 profile. If a 30 cal 14 twist it is good for a 308 or larger up to 155gr projectiles so is usefull but if it is chrome molly then you would have to get it blued or coted to stop rust.

just curiour what price did you drop into it?

There are a lot of manufacturers that made barrels over the years so it might be hard to trace. also do you have a bore scope? is it hand lapped? if so it would be worth shooting you could cut it back to 20" and have a heavy short stiff barrel to blast with if the price was right.

Your best bet is to call some of the barrel makers and ask them. I would start with Lilja, Krieger and Shilen. I'm pretty sure that your barrel is not one of these but one of these guys might know whos it is. Another option is to call a couple of custom action makers, they would most certainly have an idea since they constantly fit barrels as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brutas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mark Chanlynn? </div></div>

It's not Mark's - I just asked him. All of his are stamped with a serial #, caliber, twist & "Made in the USA" on it.

Ok so far from your help on here and a few emails we can check off that its not: Hart, Shilen, broughton, Mark Chanlynn, Krieger, Benchmark, Lilja, Lothar Walther, or Schneider. Gary Schneider suggested maybe Wiseman so I will try to contact them next.

The search continues....

Had a McMillan/Weisman back in mid 90's on my first 308 but can't remember how it was marked. Got it from Brownell's. My understanding is Wiseman is no longer makeing barrels???? Don't know how Atkinson marked his either???

Guess I should have stated that I had read somewhere he was no longer making blanks for rebarreling hand held rifles! Read threw your link and didn't see where an individual or smith could purchase anything for hunting/target etc just test barrels.