• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

who make a pistol AR lower.....

Re: who make a pistol AR lower.....

Stripped lowers are transferred as "other" and can be built as a rifle or pistol if it's never been built as a rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TMK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stripped lowers are transferred as "other" and can be built as a rifle or pistol if it's never been built as a rifle. </div></div>

THIS. The newer 4473 allows for this designation. The old 4473 only differentiated between "Long Gun" and "Handgun." The new forms have a new category titled "Other" which covers stripped receivers. But...be advised...you will have to be 21yo to purchase a stripped receiver now because of this change.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TMK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stripped lowers are transferred as "other" and can be built as a rifle or pistol if it's never been built as a rifle. </div></div>

THIS. The newer 4473 allows for this designation. The old 4473 only differentiated between "Long Gun" and "Handgun." The new forms have a new category titled "Other" which covers stripped receivers. But...be advised...you will have to be 21yo to purchase a stripped receiver now because of this change. </div></div>

That's very nice to know.

If I happened to go this route, could I have a pistol lower with a 7.5" upper on it and still possess my rifle classified lower or is that now a gray area since I'm in posession of what *could* be an SBR even if I never put the SBR upper on the rifle lower?

From what I've heard it's okay to have both pistols and rifles, but you just better not have a pistol upper and rifle lower without also having a pistol lower.

I think the way they justify that is if you didn't have the pistol lower, the only possible use to you of the short upper is the illegal assembly of an SBR; whether you do it or not.

All of this is of course all those fancy four and five letter acronyms YMMV, IANAL, etc.

Oodin is right, be very careful about not having a pistol upper before having a pistol lower or they can warp it into intent.

Also, make sure to not install a stock or vertical foregrip of any kind on the AR pistol, they'll put the smack down on you. Not saying it's right, just saying it can happen.

-matt

thanks guys.

i just want one for my motor cycle saddle bags.....

it seams that all my buddies are getting biger and bigger guns to carry......just think i'll one up them

model one has pistol lowers i believe, in their catalog i saw pistols. what about lowers that are stamped "multi caliber"? are they both rifle and pistol? just curious

Spikes makes a pistol lower .