• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

who makes a good front rest

Re: who makes a good front rest

What are your needs? If you are going to compete in benchrest you need a really good front rest. If you are just working up loads a sandbag would be fine. The best on the market as far as I'm concerned are the SEB, Farley, and JJ Industries Ultra Front Rest. There are a lot of rests that are more than adequate for most uses. Caldwell makes inexpensive rests that will work just fine for most peoples needs. Your needs determine which would be best for you. For the middle of the road I would go with either Sinclair or Hart.

Sinclair is good or farley if you want the best.
also talk to 257 speed he had a nice base for sale a couple of days ago that would take a sinclair top.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...972#Post1534972

I was gonna buy this rest from him but totaly blew my wad on X-mas. I have a sinclair and have been very happy w/ it.

Since you are planning to use it for competition I recommend more than an entry level rest. Therefore I would disregard then cheap stuff like the Caldwells. For F Class I do not believe there is any real benefit in a coaxial rest. In fact it can be a liability. Since you have a single point of aim I believe stability is the primary asset. A coaxial rest allows rapid change of aim point but it also allows rapid inadvertent change in aim point. For F Class my vote goes for stability over mobility. Because of this, I have chosen to go the non-coaxial route for F class competition. I believe that a Sinclair or Hart rest will work just as well as any for F Class. I do believe a windage adjustable top is helpful and would recommend one. If you want to spend more and "get the best" I believe the JJ Industries Ultra Front Rest can't be beat. I also believe that you can shoot just as good scores with the Sinclair or Hart rests.

I use the Caldwell Lead Sled myself with 4 25 lb. bags of shot in the trays. The setup is rock solid.

i use a lead slead for sighting and load development but i dont elieve i can use it in competition.

Nope not legal. The front and back support have to be separate.
42769vette, are you shooting F/TR or F Open? I assume F/Open since you're looking for a front rest. What chambering? I shoot both. I have a 260 built on a Savage target action I built but have been able to shoot yet due to surgery. I have a Barnard based 6.5x47L coming. I have both a Seb and a JJ Industries Ultra Front Rest. I use the Seb for VFS benchrest but prefer the JJ for F Class. I believe the coaxial rest is a liability for F Class.

Bob Pastor makes a phenomenal rest in addition to ones already mentioned. Google "the viper rest". Bob is one of the good guys.