• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Who Makes a Nice Spiral Fluted Barrel

Jig Stick

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
pretty simple question. So far I have only found Hart Barrels that does spiral fluting. im looking for a 26in light palma contour with 6 groove spiral fluting for a 6.5x47 build im doing.

Re: Who Makes a Nice Spiral Fluted Barrel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">kampfield custom </div></div>
Karl Feldkamp at Kampfeld custom does a lot of the spiral fluting for many well known gunsmiths. His work is second to none. ER Shaw's fluting is nice but their barrels are not what I would call top shelf.

could i send a light palma krieger barrel to kampfield and have them flute it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">could i send a light palma krieger barrel to kampfield and have them flute it?</div></div>

yes

a lot of the fluted barrels that i have handled personally seem to have semi sharp edges on the flutes. is there a way to maybe have it bead blasted to smooth off the edges? and if so, would cerakote still stick to it?

Tell Karl exactly what you want and he will make it happen. He answers the phone almost every time I call.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a lot of the fluted barrels that i have handled personally seem to have semi sharp edges on the flutes. is there a way to maybe have it bead blasted to smooth off the edges? and if so, would cerakote still stick to it? </div></div>

The metal work needs to be blasted before Ceracoating anyway.

Kampfeld's web site says that do to work load "spiral barrel fluting is temporarily unavailable". Has anyone spoke to him to know any different? Would also like a barrel done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just spoke with Karl. he said he will spiral flute for anybody who calls and inquires about it. Im ordering my barrel from krieger tomorrow, and shipping it to him as soon as i get it. he said his turn around time is about 1 week. Kampfeld Customs rulz! </div></div>
Told ya! He truly is one of the best. Now if I could convince him to build me a rifle I'd be a happy man.

i believe i told him first
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pickpick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> RW Snyder did two for a friend of mine. They look awesome. </div></div>
I am 99% sure RW Snyder uses Karl for fluting. And BigJoe, you spelled Kampfeld wrong so it doesn't count.

ER Shaw holds a patent for spiral fluting barrels.

A while back their lawyers were sending out cease and desist letters and threatening legal action to a bunch of smiths that were advertising spiral barrel fluting services.

Haven't heard about it at all lately. I never heard of anyone actually being sued by them or challenging it in court.

Hi contact Rock Creek they have Campfield do their spiral fluting and it is amasing in finish.

Rock will hook you up with the barrel you want and send it to you finished.

Great info guys nice work on this thread I was wondering the skinny on this myself. PG

I was under the impression that anyone who wanted to pay the "shaw tax" could get into spiral fluting but is it really worth the extra $30 most guys are adding? I dunno. However, I have seen Kampfield, Hart, Shaw and one local smith do spirals and Karls are by far the best I've seen with Hart second but John a close third and Shaw fourth. My local smith won't do them for anyone for a fee because he got that same cease and desist order and refuses to pay the shaw tax on a method he developed independently in his shop 20 yrs ago