• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Who makes a single stack, HAMMER fired 9mm?

springerjb

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2010
Ephraim, UT
Besides the Sig 225 what options do I have for a single stack, hammer fired DA/SA, 9mm with a 3-4 inch barrel?

Re: Who makes a single stack, HAMMER fired 9mm?

S&W 3913: totally underrated, fine weapon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">S&W 3913: totally underrated, fine weapon. </div></div>

Yeah, I wish they were still producing those. I can't find one to fondle.

Any 9mm 1911 is a single stack and hammer fired 9mm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any 9mm 1911 is a single stack and hammer fired 9mm. </div></div>

But none of them are double action. The far majority are single action and a very few are double action only.

Makarov, P-64, P38

Just for fun check out a CZ 2075 Rami if you can find one. In 9MM I think they are 10 and 14 round mags. .25 inches wider than a single stack Ruger, S&W Shield plus you get the Alloy Frame.

The Sig 239 or S&W 3913 as already mentioned are pretty solid leaders for compact, hammer fired single stack 9mms. Beretta also made a 92 Compact Type M I believe that was a single stack.

Of the group, the 239s will probably be the easiest to find. A 239 with a short reset trigger in 9mm is a VERY nice pistol to shoot and shoot well.

-Sean

S&W 3913 or 908 were the first things to pop into my head. I love the 3913, but I really wanted a wrap around Crimson Trace set up for EDC. Eventually I went with the Kahr K9. Pretty happy regardless.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Karsten</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just for fun check out a CZ 2075 Rami if you can find one. In 9MM I think they are 10 and 14 round mags. .25 inches wider than a single stack Ruger, S&W Shield plus you get the Alloy Frame. </div></div>

Awesome gun but not a single stack.

I think the smith and wesson 952 could be a nice choice for a super high end solution.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MadKap</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the smith and wesson 952 could be a nice choice for a super high end solution. </div></div>

Except it only comes in a 5 or 6" barrel, the OP wants 3-4".

Why do people keep bothering to post without reading or thinking???

Thanks for keeping things on targe KSwift.

So it looks like I should suck it up, sell a kidney, and buy a Sig. And then sell the other kidney to buy some Sig mags. And then get used to the weird decocker and way-way back slide release and the fact that it weighs as much as a Ford Fiesta. Maybe I need to give double stack another look...

What's the reason for must have hammer fired DA/SA. Just not sure why this options are so important.

Just thinking it holds the S&W Shield out which is a good choice for the size of gun your looking for. Just not hammer fired DA/SA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MadKap</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the smith and wesson 952 could be a nice choice for a super high end solution. </div></div>

Except it only comes in a 5 or 6" barrel, the OP wants 3-4".

<span style="font-weight: bold">Why do people keep bothering to post without reading or thinking???</span> </div></div>

Answer that and you win yourself the big bunny!

uVT18.png

BTW, I've dealt with the seller before, GTG:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=306945832

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KHOOKS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's the reason for must have hammer fired DA/SA. Just not sure why this options are so important.

Just thinking it holds the S&W Shield out which is a good choice for the size of gun your looking for. Just not hammer fired DA/SA. </div></div>
I just don't feel comfortable carrying a striker fired handgun with a 5-6lbs trigger pull with a round chambered. I've carried a Kahr CM9 and Glock 26. Just never got totally comfortable with them. I suppose I'm old school and prefer a hammer and a stiff first shot trigger. And I'm not a revolver guy...so here I am looking for single stack, hammer fired 9mms.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mtneer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And I'm not a revolver guy...so here I am looking for single stack, hammer fired 9mms.</div></div>

Take a peek one above your last post. That looks to be a foreign return of some sort (CAI stamp), and the seller is local to me.

Your want for a DA is understandable...but if that's the case, why does it absolutely HAVE to be DA/SA? Could you live with double action only? The Ruger LC9 would fit the bill then. Lightweight (17oz), single stack, slim. Great for carry. BUT, double action only.

So it's cheaper, lighter, and slimmer than you're other options...but comes down to personal preference, and if you could be satisfied with DAO. If not, ignore me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdogsbeware</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So it's cheaper, lighter, and slimmer than you're other options...but comes down to personal preference, and if you could be satisfied with DAO. If not, ignore me. </div></div>

Cheaper is FNG if it doesn't deliver acceptable quality, and slimmer and lighter are FNG if they make recoil an issue. DAO isn't the be-all and end-all of trigger pulls, either, and as was said upthread, so eloquently, this is about what the OP is looking for, not validating <span style="font-style: italic">your</span> tastes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdogsbeware</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your want for a DA is understandable...but if that's the case, why does it absolutely HAVE to be DA/SA? Could you live with double action only? The Ruger LC9 would fit the bill then. Lightweight (17oz), single stack, slim. Great for carry. BUT, double action only.

So it's cheaper, lighter, and slimmer than you're other options...but comes down to personal preference, and if you could be satisfied with DAO. If not, ignore me. </div></div>
I'm not completely opposed to DAO but would prefer DA/SA. The LC9 has a 6.3-6.5lbs trigger. Which IMHO isn't enough for a DAO. The upside is that I could buy two for the price of one Sig 239...and that way I'd at least get two magazines.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mtneer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...and that way I'd at least get two magazines. </div></div>

Don't sweat the magazines. It isn't like they're rarer than hen's teeth. If we were talking P225 here, I might be a little concerned.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mtneer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...and that way I'd at least get two magazines. </div></div>

Don't sweat the magazines. It isn't like they're rarer than hen's teeth. If we were talking P225 here, I might be a little concerned. </div></div>
Yeah, I wasn't worried about finding them. I was more complaining that it's just crazy that neither the Sig 239 or the Ruger LC9 includes a second mag. Especially considering the price of the Sig.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=lda+9mm

Para LDA 9mm </div></div>

Double action only, not DA/SA.

All the incorrect responses are giving me a headache just reading them...</div></div>

actually the LDA is LDA.. it's not DOA, SA, or DA in any pure or true sense

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DAO isn't the be-all and end-all of trigger pulls, either, and as was said upthread, so eloquently, this is about what the OP is looking for, not validating <span style="font-style: italic">your</span> tastes.</div></div>
I agree, I happen to dislike DAO. And while a fan of Ruger, I dislike the LC9. But it fit the criteria; lighter than a sig, single stack, 9mm, hammer fired. Had nothing to do with my tastes, trying to help the guy. And yes, I did read he said DA/SA, but since the OP also said it was simply because he didn't like striker fired, I figured it was worth a shot suggesting DAO.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mtneer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm not completely opposed to DAO but would prefer DA/SA. The LC9 has a 6.3-6.5lbs trigger. Which IMHO isn't enough for a DAO.</div></div> You got me there, I didn't know it was that light. I'm out of ideas then haha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdogsbeware</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DAO isn't the be-all and end-all of trigger pulls, either, and as was said upthread, so eloquently, this is about what the OP is looking for, not validating <span style="font-style: italic">your</span> tastes.</div></div>
I agree, I happen to dislike DAO. And while a fan of Ruger, I dislike the LC9. But it fit the criteria; lighter than a sig, single stack, 9mm, hammer fired. Had nothing to do with my tastes, trying to help the guy. And yes, I did read he said DA/SA, but since the OP also said it was simply because he didn't like striker fired, I figured it was worth a shot suggesting DAO. </div></div>

NP, Pdog, and sorry if I seemed froggy. There's been a good bit of misdirection in the thread. Frankly, I've only shot one example of what I thought was a decent DAO, H&K LEM in a P2000Sk, and the magazine release on it was absolute crap under my fingers. Dropping and swapping was an absolute PITA, so it went the way of all things that didn't quite make it.

No longer made but Beretta 92 Compact Type M is a single stack 9mm DA/SA. They run about 500-700, come up pretty frequently on berettaforum.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mtneer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mtneer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...and that way I'd at least get two magazines. </div></div>

Don't sweat the magazines. It isn't like they're rarer than hen's teeth. If we were talking P225 here, I might be a little concerned. </div></div>
Yeah, I wasn't worried about finding them. I was more complaining that it's just crazy that neither the Sig 239 or the Ruger LC9 includes a second mag. Especially considering the price of the Sig. </div></div>

With the LC9 you also get a Promo code for 20% off Ruger accessories and that includes mags.

Then Galloway has a line of performance parts to clean up the trigger pull, reset bar, springs, SS guide rod, upgraded hammer and a few other parts the make the little pistol more user friendly.

http://gallowayprecision.com/ruger-performance/lc9-performance-parts/

Karsten

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Karsten</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mtneer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mtneer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...and that way I'd at least get two magazines. </div></div>

Yeah, I wasn't worried about finding them. I was more complaining that it's just crazy that neither the Sig 239 or the Ruger LC9 includes a second mag. Especially considering the price of the Sig. </div></div>

With the LC9 you also get a Promo code for 20% off Ruger accessories and that includes mags.

Then Galloway has a line of performance parts to clean up the trigger pull, reset bar, springs, SS guide rod, upgraded hammer and a few other parts the make the little pistol more user friendly.

http://gallowayprecision.com/ruger-performance/lc9-performance-parts/

Karsten </div></div>

I'm not sure that I'd base a decision to purchase a firearm solely on the number of gimme magazines that came with it, and certainly not one that required a goodly number of upgrades to make it user-friendly.

Veer_G,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: veer_g</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not sure that I'd base a decision to purchase a firearm solely on the number of gimme magazines that came with it, and certainly not one that required a goodly number of upgrades to make it user-friendly. </div></div>

Okay, got it....You only buy perfect out of the box firearms that you don't up grade in any way....You are one lucky person to have found so many that you didn't want to improve here and there to suit your needs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Karsten</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Veer_G,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: veer_g</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not sure that I'd base a decision to purchase a firearm solely on the number of gimme magazines that came with it, and certainly not one that required a goodly number of upgrades to make it user-friendly. </div></div>

Okay, got it....You only buy perfect out of the box firearms that you don't up grade in any way....You are one lucky person to have found so many that you didn't want to improve here and there to suit your needs. </div></div>

No. Buying a pistol with the possible intention of using it for self-defense means being willing to buy the extra magazines that may not have come with it in the box. I'd sooner buy a superior pistol and have to outsource three or four extra magazines than accept an inferior one because of its inducements. I have no issue with the idea of upgrading pistols through replacement of sights and grips, but self-defense pistols "out of the box" should meet a minimum standard of immediate usefulness. By your description, it would seem that the pistol you tout does not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any 9mm 1911 is a single stack and hammer fired 9mm. </div></div>

But none of them are double action. The far majority are single action and a very few are double action only. </div></div>

Sorry, I didn't read close enough. I never imagined single action would be a negative, and if you think it is, I suggest you reconsider.

I'm not a huge fan of Sigs, but my main beef with them is the DA system and the grip width. A single stack Sig wouldn't be so bad. And the P239 is just that (but it's already been mentioned).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Karsten</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Veer_G,

veer_g said:
I'm not sure that I'd base a decision to purchase a firearm solely on the number of gimme magazines that came with it, and certainly not one that required a goodly number of upgrades to make it user-friendly. </div></div>

Okay, got it....You only buy perfect out of the box firearms that you don't up grade in any way....You are one lucky person to have found so many that you didn't want to improve here and there to suit your needs. </div></div>

Never mind...This forum used to be about helping other but I haven't been active so maybe it is time to get banned again.

Giving someone an opinion and input should have been just that.

Maybe you need to come clean and tell the OP that Your choice Is the only choice

Just to clean up the thread and provide a bit of of clarification. I prefer DA/SA because I don't like having to think about a manual safety and I don't mind two trigger pulls. But I might give DAO another look.

Other than putting a NY1 or NY2 trigger in a Glock I wouldn't do any trigger work (or have it done) on a weapon carried for self defense. No point in making DAs and civil attourneys jobs easier if you are unfortunate enough to need to use your sidearm in self defense.

I wouldn't let the number of mags be the deciding factor when purchasing the right handgun. But the fact that a new Sig 239 currently costs $700-800, ships with one mag, and new mags cost $45. That's just insulting.

I got the the local gun shop this weekend and got to handle a 239 (I've got some experience with Sigs, just not the 239). I think I've ruled it out based on grip width, weight, and price. So I might be back to considering double stack firearms...

Thanks for the input. It is most appreciated.

There is absolutely no evidence that a light trigger has ever been an issue in any case, criminal or civil. I've not seen a single opinion mentioning it, just a bunch of armchair quarterbacking on forums.

Read through the posts and seen that a S&W 3913 was mentioned. You are correct in that they are a very underated firearm. One that wasn't mentioned was the Sig P6. At one time I owned a P239 but did not really care for it. I still have my P6. The grip on the P6 fits my hand very well. Personally, I think that there is some difference from a P225. I took a P226 barrel and sent it to Total Automation to have it fit and threaded for the P6. It is a great little single stack 9mm. Just can't wait for my Osprey to get here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is absolutely no evidence that a light trigger has ever been an issue in any case, criminal or civil. I've not seen a single opinion mentioning it, just a bunch of armchair quarterbacking on forums. </div></div>

Chavez v Glock Actually, there is. This is just the latest. Granted it's in Cali that the family is just suing everyone with deep pockets, but this case is pretty much all about trigger pull.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Simmy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Read through the posts and seen that a S&W 3913 was mentioned. You are correct in that they are a very underated firearm. One that wasn't mentioned was the Sig P6. At one time I owned a P239 but did not really care for it. I still have my P6. The grip on the P6 fits my hand very well. Personally, I think that there is some difference from a P225. I took a P226 barrel and sent it to Total Automation to have it fit and threaded for the P6. It is a great little single stack 9mm. Just can't wait for my Osprey to get here. </div></div>

Yeah, if I could find a 3913 locally I'd check it out. Finding them these days is the real problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mtneer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is absolutely no evidence that a light trigger has ever been an issue in any case, criminal or civil. I've not seen a single opinion mentioning it, just a bunch of armchair quarterbacking on forums. </div></div>

Chavez v Glock Actually, there is. This is just the latest. Granted it's in Cali that the family is just suing everyone with deep pockets, but this case is pretty much all about trigger pull. </div></div>

I'm talking about a case regarding a self defense shooting. Of course it's relevant to products liability. It's a critical issue there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mtneer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is absolutely no evidence that a light trigger has ever been an issue in any case, criminal or civil. I've not seen a single opinion mentioning it, just a bunch of armchair quarterbacking on forums. </div></div>

Chavez v Glock Actually, there is. This is just the latest. Granted it's in Cali that the family is just suing everyone with deep pockets, but this case is pretty much all about trigger pull. </div></div>

I'm talking about a case regarding a self defense shooting. Of course it's relevant to products liability. It's a critical issue there. </div></div>

"...Partridge filed the trigger mechanism of his pistol to lighten the trigger pull so that the gun would have "hair trigger action"; <span style="font-weight: bold">the trial court specifically found this modification of the gun to be a negligent act, creating an exceptionally dangerous weapon</span>." STATE FARM MUTUAL AUTOMOBILE INSURANCE COMPANY et al., Plaintiffs and Appellants, v.WAYNE E. PARTRIDGE et al., Defendants and Respondents.

Granted it's a 1973 case about auto insturance (long, strange story) and not self defense but modified/"light" triggers are the low hanging fruit for lawyers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mtneer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mtneer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is absolutely no evidence that a light trigger has ever been an issue in any case, criminal or civil. I've not seen a single opinion mentioning it, just a bunch of armchair quarterbacking on forums. </div></div>

I'm talking about a case regarding a self defense shooting. Of course it's relevant to products liability. It's a critical issue there. </div></div>

"...Partridge filed the trigger mechanism of his pistol to lighten the trigger pull so that the gun would have "hair trigger action"; <span style="font-weight: bold">the trial court specifically found this modification of the gun to be a negligent act, creating an exceptionally dangerous weapon</span>." STATE FARM MUTUAL AUTOMOBILE INSURANCE COMPANY et al., Plaintiffs and Appellants, v.WAYNE E. PARTRIDGE et al., Defendants and Respondents.

Granted it's a 1973 case about auto insturance (long, strange story) and not self defense but modified/"light" triggers are the low hanging fruit for lawyers. </div></div>

Again, that is a tort case, not a self defense issue. A lighter trigger is a VERY significant issue in a tort case, where the issue is the amount of precaution taken.

In a self defense case, you're already conceding that you shot the guy, and saying that you're legally justified in doing so. Considering you're conceding that you shot the guy, conceding that you shot him with 3 pounds of trigger pressure versus 5 is irrelevant.

If you manage to accidentally shoot someone, that's an entirely different story. A heavier trigger is less likely to trip unintentionally.

Well I'm old school, so I like the German trio that was born from a German police contract in the 70's (I think), that being the Walther P5, the Sig 225/P6, and the HK P7. Also even older than that is the HK P9S. All really high quality handguns that are turning into collector's pieces. I'm partial to the Walther P5 myself. Of course all of these are going up in price, so good luck finding one for a decent deal...

Rohrbaugh R9. I carry one.