• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who makes the best ambi charging for an ar

Depends if you are shooting suppressed or not as the AXTS (Rainier) Raptor sucks when it comes to gas redirection/management. If that isnt a factor then the Raptor is a great choice. Very ergonomic design.

+1 Rainer raptor. Also sold as the noveske ambi too.
Just awesome.

Have you seen the one that uses a detent instead of a latch? It also redirects gas like a gas buster. Maybe something to look at..

Depends if you are shooting suppressed or not as the AXTS (Rainier) Raptor sucks when it comes to gas redirection/management. If that isnt a factor then the Raptor is a great choice. Very ergonomic design.

+1. I used a raptor for about a year and a half and found it to be very well made. My suppressor was pushing a lot of gas past it so I started looking elsewhere and found the Armageddon Tactical GM-15. Been using it for a month or so and it works as well as the Raptor but also does a great job of redirecting the gas forward away from my face.
Charging Handle | Armageddon Tactical

Have you seen the one that uses a detent instead of a latch? It also redirects gas like a gas buster. Maybe something to look at..

That is the SLR Renegade... Looks interesting... I'm concerned about upper wear with it but they say it shows no more wear than traditional Charging handles

Ive always been partial to PRIs, but i also love the Armageddon CH. Damn near perfect design. Dimensionally, it really isnt much different than the AXTS. Its 1.8oz compared to the AXTS at 1.4 oz but it is fantastic at managing excess gas and is incredibly smooth. Additionally, the charging motion really isnt much different than the SLR in that youjust pull back on a solid handle and let the internal latching mechanism do its job. Whether youre pulling from right or left, the tactile feel is the same. I wont waylay on SLR as they make great products, but i couldnt stand the Renegade. The right-side gas vents are cut at too sharp of an angle to be as effective as a say, a PRI, and the taller rear section doesnt do anything to redirect gas even though that is whats suggested. Compared to the hood on the Armageddon that completely encapsulates the rear of the upper with a 45 degree hole at 6 oclock, it just doesnt even get close to being able to compare in the same light. The detent/spring design is just awful - or at least it was for me. It constantly got hung up on the receiver and wore the shit out of the upper in less than 4 mags through it. I could just see myself getting busted in the nose with that thing within another 100 rnds and the receiver was worn enough. Ive heard theyre coming out with another revision (mod 2) but havent seen anything official yet.

Out of the CHs ive used id take armageddon over anything else. (Not in pic are Troy Ambi, BCM Mod 44, & SLR)....
A11C9BAF-F96F-4264-92AE-AB96C6F09BDE.jpg

Yup, and if you shoot NTCH, the Raptor sucks too. BCM does not have this problem.

Ambi charging handles are Gucci gear. Even if your a lefty, it makes no difference. The way you pull the handle is with two fingers, so it doesn't matter which side the release is on.

Yup, and if you shoot NTCH, the Raptor sucks too. BCM does not have this problem.

Ambi charging handles are Gucci gear. Even if your a lefty, it makes no difference. The way you pull the handle is with two fingers, so it doesn't matter which side the release is on.

Or you could pull it with one finger, or you could pull it with the palm of your hand below the pinky finger. Both of these techniques benefit from an ambi chargin handle. I haven't dropped the rifle out of my shoulder and come across the back of it to pull the CH back with a finger on either side of it for years, it's inefficient. Might be Gucci gear for you, doesn't make it Gucci gear for everyone else.

Or you could pull it with one finger, or you could pull it with the palm of your hand below the pinky finger. Both of these techniques benefit from an ambi chargin handle. I haven't dropped the rifle out of my shoulder and come across the back of it to pull the CH back with a finger on either side of it for years, it's inefficient. Might be Gucci gear for you, doesn't make it Gucci gear for everyone else.

You don't have to drop the weapon out of your "pocket". If you can do it with a finger or palm, your going to be moving your face out of the way and breaking cheek weld anyway. Your strong hand side is doing 90% of the work as far as weapon positioning goes. Fliping one finger over the side is not a big deal. It also ensure you get propper purchase on the CH and can manipulate it reliabily. Try doing it one finger/palm fast and you will see what I'm talking about.

Maybe its different where you were trained, but the gun doesn't leave the pocket of the shoulder when doing remedial action or reloads. Well it could, but its really inconsequential and wouldn't make a difference if u were runing ambi or a normal CH.

Yea its cool to have and it looks neat, but for practical purposes its really not needed. I dislike the raptor beacuse of geomotry. I shoot NTCH, and with the swept wing of the Raptor, it makes you put your face closer into the weapon. Sounds like a training, not an equipment issue.

For suppressed guns, PRI or a silcone bead is the way to go.... but your always going to have gas blowback no matter what CH you run. It's the nature of the beast.

Last edited:
You don't have to drop the weapon out of your "pocket". If you can do it with a finger or palm, your going to be moving your face out of the way and breaking cheek weld anyway. Your strong hand side is doing 90% of the work as far as weapon positioning goes. Fliping one finger over the side is not a big deal. It also ensure you get propper purchase on the CH and can manipulate it reliabily. Try doing it one finger/palm fast and you will see what I'm talking about.

Maybe its different where you were trained, but the gun doesn't leave the pocket of the shoulder when doing remedial action or reloads. Well it could, but its really inconsequential and wouldn't make a difference if u were runing ambi or a normal CH.

Yea its cool to have and it looks neat, but for practical purposes its really not needed. I dislike the raptor beacuse of geomotry. I shoot NTCH, and with the swept wing of the Raptor, it makes you put your face closer into the weapon. Sounds like a training, not an equipment issue.

For suppressed guns, PRI or a silcone bead is the way to go.... but your always going to have gas blowback no matter what CH you run. It's the nature of the beast.

I manipulate it reliably with one finger whether I have the rifle in my strong shoulder or support shoulder so the ambi comes in pretty handy and allows an identical manipulation of the CH regardless of which shoulder I'm shooting from. For my practical purposes it is a huge advantage to have as much of the rifle set up ambi as possible as I practice to run the rifle both ways when needed. I can pull the CH just as fast as you'd like it pulled, with one finger and with less movement than if I were trying to flip a finger over the top of it.

I have no gas blowback with GM-15 and I'm running a 12.5" barrel and Surefire SOCOM M556-RC. Perhaps there is something to some of the "Gucci gear" that's out there.

Last edited:
I manipulate it reliably with one finger whether I have the rifle in my strong shoulder or support shoulder so the ambi comes in pretty handy and allows an identical manipulation of the CH regardless of which shoulder I'm shooting from. For my practical purposes it is a huge advantage to have as much of the rifle set up ambi as possible as I practice to run the rifle both ways when needed. I can pull the CH just as fast as you'd like it pulled, with one finger and with less movement than if I were trying to flip a finger over the top of it.

I have no gas blowback with GS-15 and I'm running a 12.5" barrel and Surefire SOCOM M556-RC. Perhaps there is something to some of the "Gucci gear" that's out there.

Adjustable gas block? Tuned gas system for shooting suppressed?

Just curious

Neither. 12.5" BCM upper, carbine length gas system. Runs great and no more gas to the face with the GM-15.

+1. I used a raptor for about a year and a half and found it to be very well made. My suppressor was pushing a lot of gas past it so I started looking elsewhere and found the Armageddon Tactical GM-15. Been using it for a month or so and it works as well as the Raptor but also does a great job of redirecting the gas forward away from my face.
Charging Handle | Armageddon Tactical

Just received an Armageddon gm-15. Gotta say, pretty impressive engineering. Haven't shot it yet suppressed so I can't comment on gas blow back but I don't think a guy could go wrong with either the Armageddon or the Raptor. Both are solid.

Thanks for the lead guys! Appreciate the knowledge here...... Well most of it.

Last edited: