• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Who Makes the best Glass???

Jericho941

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2009
Springfield, MO.
I'd like to see what people consider their top ten list of optics glass quality.

"1" being the best and "10" being the worst.

I haven't looked through most of the higher end scopes, so I can't fairly judge them, but others might.

This is probably gonna be a Ford Vs. Chevy type of opinion poll, but the answers should be interesting.

These are my thoughts

1. Ziess
2. S&B
3. Premier Heritage
4. USO
5. Vortex Razor
6. IOR Valdada
7. NightForce
8. Leupold Mk4
9. Bushnell
10.Vortex Viper

Re: Who Makes the best Glass???

There is no true ranking order for scopes, unless you are ranking them by price. You use what works for you and that is that.

I didn't mean to beat a dead horse with this thread. I am torn with the purchase of a new scope, and the scopes I am looking at, I can't get my hands on to do a side by side comparisons. This would give me a rough idea of what I'm looking for.

Sickness, thankyou for that link. I didn't see anything on there about the Razor, IOR, or NF. That said, I will have to re-read the thread as I know I didn't get it all in the first pass.

Glass is subjective to ones eye for the most part.

Glass is not the top selling point for me or most shooters. Tracking, repeatability, ruggedness, and function is.

Best glass to me means optical quality. The best that I have is S&B then Swaro., then German Zeiss. After that you drop down a full grade. Then the other scopes come in.

I will also add that I have not used USO optics, and I hear their glass is also tops, but I can not speak to it because of a lack of experience. I also have no experience with the Leica scopes.

However my best glass is S&B. Tom.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">make them stop....please make them stop..... </div></div>

LOL...

Mike @ CST

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J3RICHO941</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These are my thoughts

1. Ziess
2. S&B
3. Premier Heritage
4. USO
5. Vortex Razor
6. IOR Valdada
7. NightForce
8. Leupold Mk4
9. Bushnell
10.Vortex Viper </div></div>

Are these rankings based on your first hand experience? Did you get to look at these scopes side-by-side?

It would seem, that any list ONLY looking at glass <span style="text-decoration: underline">quality</span> should focus on Europe and Japan. I am led to believe all other countries are <span style="font-style: italic">far</span> behind their level.

A pretty meaningless thread unless you consider other thing that makes for a great scope....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSTactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">make them stop....please make them stop..... </div></div>

LOL...

Mike @ CST</div></div>

I'm with Chiller on this one........am thinking the best glass is one with about 4 fingers of a good scotch......

Okay, this wan't as good of an idea as I thought it was. I think I'll put this in my filing cabinet of things to not do again.

Live and learn
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J3RICHO941</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay, this wan't as good of an idea as I thought it was. I think I'll put this in my filing cabinet of things to not do again.

Live and learn
grin.gif
</div></div>

+1, Good idea
Be wary of finite inquiries like "the best" of anything.
There is no right and wrong answer just opinions.

Don't sweat it dude, yeah you should have read a little more before you posted a question like that....
This board is just like life..the jack asses who bark the loudest have the weakest bite...You ever met a seal who told you he was a bad-ass??....no you haven't because they don't have to...chat room commando's are what 80% of these guys who run their mouth the loudest are.

There are several sponsors of the hide who would be happy to listen to how you plan on using this scope, find out what your budget is and then give you some advice on what would be best for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AtownBcat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't sweat it dude, yeah you should have read a little more before you posted a question like that....
This board is just like life..the jack asses who bark the loudest have the weakest bite...You ever met a seal who told you he was a bad-ass??....no you haven't because they don't have to...chat room commando's are what 80% of these guys who run their mouth the loudest are.

There are several sponsors of the hide who would be happy to listen to how you plan on using this scope, find out what your budget is and then give you some advice on what would be best for you. </div></div>

One of the most true statements i have read on here in awhile.

BSA, best scopes around

I can't believe you guys left out the ultimate sniper scope, Counter Sniper. LOL

European hunters consider Zeiss #1 in optical quality and S&B #1 in ruggedness and reliability. I do not know whether it is true to the tactical stuff.

Here you can find a comparison test that a group of scandinavian shooters did (google translate, but the tables are more important anyway).

look at the most expensive cameras and the lenses they use. hasseblad cameras use zeiss glass and thats the top of the line in the camera world. its been to and still is on the moon, if you believe that whole moon landing thing. leica uses zeiss too. swarovski has made the finest crystal for EVER. you would have to think that scope makers that use glass from these sources would be some of the highest quality scopes around. i would think nikon would have decent optics if their line of nikkor lenses is any example. i have looked thru alot of nikon glass but never in a scope. and i have not looked thru any high dollar scopes, but its tough to beat the glass thats been refined to the highest level of perfection and been doing it for the longest time id imagine. can anyone verify that? the japanese stuff is top quality too, they make some of the finest medical optics for cameras and microscopes and at those magnifications, purity is a must

oh yeah, that has nothin to do with who makes the best scopes. well maybe a little

I own the best scopes because their mine. Any scope that is not mine is worthless because I can't use it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">look at the most expensive cameras and the lenses they use. hasseblad cameras use zeiss glass and thats the top of the line in the camera world. its been to and still is on the moon, if you believe that whole moon landing thing. leica uses zeiss too. swarovski has made the finest crystal for EVER. you would have to think that scope makers that use glass from these sources would be some of the highest quality scopes around. i would think nikon would have decent optics if their line of nikkor lenses is any example. i have looked thru alot of nikon glass but never in a scope. and i have not looked thru any high dollar scopes, but its tough to beat the glass thats been refined to the highest level of perfection and been doing it for the longest time id imagine. can anyone verify that? the japanese stuff is top quality too, they make some of the finest medical optics for cameras and microscopes and at those magnifications, purity is a must

oh yeah, that has nothin to do with who makes the best scopes. well maybe a little </div></div>

Axeman,

I think this is an example of a very common misconception about "glass". Everybody seems to think that the quality of "glass" is definded mainly by the raw material being used, which is only a very small part of the whole story. It's like defining the quality of a rifle mainly by referring to the maker of the barstock steel that is being used to make the barrel. I think in this case it is more obvious how small of a role the raw material plays for the outcome, the finished rifle. Of course good steel is a prerequisite for making a great rifle, but it is far from sufficient to have great steel barstock in order to make a great rifle.

Optical glass of various quality is a material that is basically available to anyone willing to pay market prices for it, and there are companies that will manufacture lenses from it to spec. This is where the routes of top notch and mediocre optics part. Image quality will depend on the right choice of glass types and the optical formula, meaning the shapes and positioning of the lenses. A scope made with the very best raw glass available, with lenses poloished to the highest standards and with the very best coatings ever developed will still produce a crappy image if the optical engineer did a poor job.

Of course, glass types do play a role, but it's not the case that fancy glass types are only available to few manufacturers, they are simply only used in high-end scopes that tend to be designed by skilled people simply because they are expensive (as raw material hand because they may be harder to work with during manufacturing) and it wouldn't make sense to create a sub-par design using expensive ingredients.

Of course, the proper grinding and polishing of the lenses and their accurate positioning relative to each other in the finished scope also play a major role when it comes to image quality.

If Leica uses "Zeiss glass", it's Schott raw material at best, and that doesn't mean the finished optics have anything in common with Zeiss optics, at least no more than ford and Chevy have in common if both get their steel from the same steel mill.

Of course companies who have been producing optics for a long time tend to accumulate a lot of knowledge about optics design, but that doesn't mean those companies have any exclusive knowledge that will put them in front of others by default. It really depends on the people doing the design, like it depends on a skilled gunsmith to make the most of great components.

Optical engineering is a science, maybe bordering on an art form because it requires so much skill and experience. It is not, however, black magic that requires fairy dust from a source only available to a select few like many companies would like to make you believe in their ads.

Our most valuable resource when it comes to optics design is not the glass types that can be bought on the free market (we do use the equivalent of what Zeiss calls "FL" glass in our scopes by the way, we have just failed to make a big buzz around that fact so far), it's the team of optics designers we cooperate with, including the guy who was head of optical and mechanical design for all binoculars, spotting scopes, cameras and camera lenses for 10 years at Leica Camera. That kind of experience cannot be replaced with the use of any kind of fancy "glass" as raw material.

Sorry about the rambling, but it's been itching every time I've been reading a reference to "glass" here.

I believe I understand what you're saying.

It is a combination of premium engineering and premium materials that make premium optics, the engineering side being more important.

Where does IOR fall into this? I know most people boast about IOR using Schott glass, but from what I gather, that might not necessarily mean they make quality optics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AtownBcat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">David S,
If you don't mind the asking..Who do you work for? </div></div>
Of course i don't mind. It's in my signature.
smile.gif

not this shit again!

what are we trying to do have a seeing contest? Or we gonna use the scope for what it's for. Top end glass is sooooo subjective but the controls, dependability, ruggedness, design are not and there in it is easy to see who leads the way.

I think you may want to decide what you are wanting to spend on a scope and that might dictate your choices at that price point.
Rthur

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J3RICHO941</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe I understand what you're saying.

It is a combination of premium engineering and premium materials that make premium optics, the engineering side being more important.

Where does IOR fall into this? I know most people boast about IOR using Schott glass, but from what I gather, that might not necessarily mean they make quality optics. </div></div> whatever faults an IOR may have, image quality is not one of them. They have great glass.

I bet that if we Nuked Iraq and used the glass formed from the melted sand we as a country could be rich as hell by making scopes out of said glass supply, of course it's Iraq so the quality would be questionable, so we'd have to sell them under a line such as countersniper.

"superior quality derka-glass, quadruple coated......with goat intestine. We aim to please on a budget. Components collected in Middle East and assembled right here in JayJay's garage. Our Reticles are actually melted into the first focal plane during "radiation" treating and can be had in such variations as "concrete shard", "camel hair" or "Johnny vein mil dot". Sold at the 7-11 near you, right next to the zigzags"

Without repeatability and <span style="font-weight: bold">true</span> tracking even the best scope in the world with the "best glass" has no use on a precision rifle and IMO is nothing more than an overengineered spotting scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerry R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Without repeatability and <span style="font-weight: bold">true</span> tracking even the best scope in the world with the "best glass" has no use on a precision rifle and IMO is nothing more than an overengineered spotting scope.</div></div>
I think everybody here agrees, and so does the USMC.
smile.gif

Regardless, "glass" is a topic that is obviously important to people, since it pops up here over and over, and it doesn't hurt taking this to a more factual level.

sell em to china. they sell all their chit to us!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jayjayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bet that if we Nuked Iraq and used the glass formed from the melted sand we as a country could be rich as hell by making scopes out of said glass supply, of course it's Iraq so the quality would be questionable, so we'd have to sell them under a line such as countersniper.

"superior quality derka-glass, quadruple coated......with goat intestine. We aim to please on a budget. Components collected in Middle East and assembled right here in JayJay's garage. Our Reticles are actually melted into the first focal plane during "radiation" treating and can be had in such variations as "concrete shard", "camel hair" or "Johnny vein mil dot". Sold at the 7-11 near you, right next to the zigzags" </div></div>

Man, I just bought a Nightforce thinking it was all that. Then a guy at the range told me to look through his S&B PM II for comparison - there was no comparison! made my nightforce look like looking through a coke bottle! If only I had $3k laying around...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AtownBcat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">David S,
If you don't mind the asking..Who do you work for? </div></div>
Of course i don't mind. It's in my signature.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Sorry, I have my signatures turned off because of a slow internet connection.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J3RICHO941</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd like to see what people consider their top ten list of optics glass quality.

I haven't looked through most of the higher end scopes, so I can't fairly judge them, but others might.

This is probably gonna be a Ford Vs. Chevy type of opinion poll, but the answers should be interesting.

These are my thoughts

1. Ziess
2. S&B
3. Premier Heritage
4. USO
5. Vortex Razor
6. IOR Valdada
7. NightForce
8. Leupold Mk4
9. Bushnell

Number 1 is Zeiss? You my friend are Nuts

USO is probably the best but the difference between the top five and Valdada, Premier and VOR have no place there, there is very little difference. By the way I have owned USO, S&B and Leupold Mark 4. I like my Mark 4 on my 308 1000yard rifle the best. I have a USO on my 338 Lapua and it's also great. Very little difference. Put some good, and I mean good Badger or near hardware. That will also make a difference. Lap the rings, don't let anyone tell you that doesn't make a difference, it makes a huge difference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Benchshoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J3RICHO941</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd like to see what people consider their top ten list of optics glass quality.

These are my thoughts

1. Ziess
2. S&B
3. Premier Heritage
4. USO
5. Vortex Razor
6. IOR Valdada
7. NightForce
8. Leupold Mk4
9. Bushnell

USO is probably the best but the difference between the top five and Valdada, Premier and VOR have no place there, there is very little difference. By the way I have owned USO, S&B and Leupold Mark 4. I like my Mark 4 on my 308 1000yard rifle the best. I have a USO on my 338 Lapua and it's also great. Very little difference. Put some good, and I mean good Badger or near hardware. That will also make a difference. Lap the rings, don't let anyone tell you that doesn't make a difference, it makes a huge difference. </div></div>

Aren't you the guy who said an M24 is nothing more than a Mil-spec 5R in a McMillan stock?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Benchshoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J3RICHO941</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
These are my thoughts
1. Ziess
</div></div>

USO is probably the best but the difference between the top five and Valdada, Premier and VOR have no place there, there is very little difference. By the way I have owned USO, S&B and Leupold Mark 4 </div></div>

LOL!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Benchshoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I like my Mark 4 on my 308 1000yard rifle the best.
</div></div>

LMAO!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Benchshoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J3RICHO941</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd like to see what people consider their top ten list of optics glass quality.

These are my thoughts

1. Ziess
2. S&B
3. Premier Heritage
4. USO
5. Vortex Razor
6. IOR Valdada
7. NightForce
8. Leupold Mk4
9. Bushnell

USO is probably the best but the difference between the top five and Valdada, Premier and VOR have no place there, there is very little difference. By the way I have owned USO, S&B and Leupold Mark 4. I like my Mark 4 on my 308 1000yard rifle the best. I have a USO on my 338 Lapua and it's also great. Very little difference. Put some good, and I mean good Badger or near hardware. That will also make a difference. Lap the rings, don't let anyone tell you that doesn't make a difference, it makes a huge difference. </div></div>

Seriously spanky? a MK4 on a 1000 yard rifle better than Premier? You've obviously not spent too much time at the 1000 yard mark in conditions. There are better options. IF you say premier has no business being there... this in itself discredits anything you say after word.

The benchmark for a long time has been S&B. Sit nback and take a serious look at the optics conversations. You are better off counting the time S&B hasn't been mentioned.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Benchshoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

USO is probably the best but the difference between the top five and Valdada, Premier and VOR have no place there, there is very little difference. </div></div>

I can't quite comprehend your second sentence; however, I believe you were trying very hard to make a few back-to-back ignorant statements.