• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who makes the best "Lightweight" stock?

clrems77

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2013
Orange County Ca
I have a 6.5CM being built that's gonna be partially used for hunting. In trying to keep some wight off, I'm looking for a good stock to use that's not too heavy. It'll be based on a Remington short action with heavy varmint barrel.

Thanks in advance!

I have a 6.5CM being built that's gonna be partially used for hunting. In trying to keep some wight off, I'm looking for a good stock to use that's not too heavy. It'll be based on a Remington short action with heavy varmint barrel.

Thanks in advance!

You put a rifle with a HV barrel in a light stock amd its going to be so out of balance you will LOATHE carrying it. Not a good idea my friend.

I have an SPS Tac with a 16.5"(varmit) in an EH1 and the balance is nice...I wouldn't hesitate at all to go to 18"...
I would guess 20" to be ok,but probably at the limit...
Flutes might help a wee bit,but that's another story...

Balance is everything in a rifle to me and can make one feel much lighter than it actually is. That applies both ways. An out of balance rifle will feel cumbersome no matter how light.

I've got a few manners here some on rifles some not. This carbon fiber EH1 here is very light but still very strong.

I'm a big fan of their stocks. They get 75% of my stock buisness. I like McMillian too.the edge is a light stock

You put a rifle with a HV barrel in a light stock amd its going to be so out of balance you will LOATHE carrying it. Not a good idea my friend.

This a very important thing I did not consider, thanks! I guess my post should be changed to asking what's the best stock for overall weight and balance without being to heavy!

Manners Elite Hunter and McMillan Edge were about a wash weight-wise when I held both a month ago (bare stocks no actions, bottom metal, etc.) at Mr. Collier's shop. They were crazy light and I think either would be an excellent option for a hunting rig.

I'd also like to point out that it will be very difficult to have a do-it-all rifle. If you compromise on barrel profile for weight, you'll sacrifice accuracy in longer strings of fire. If you go heavier profile, it'll suck carrying in the woods. You can cheat a bit adding weight up to a point as long as the rifle is balanced. My DTA is a hoss but not bad to lug around compared to a similarly weighted conventional rifle (more front heavy). Definitely not as nice to lug around the woods as my dad's Weatherby Mark V Ultralight.

My suggestion would be plan for two rifles- one to shoot competitions, plink, play, etc. with and then a dedicated hunting rig. I think if you make too many compromises you'll think what-if and have a bunch of regrets. This is based on my experiences and assumption that by "hunting" you're talking about a decent amount of hiking. If blind/stand hunting where you don't have to haul the rifle around much, you might be able to enjoyably hunt with it.

Either way good luck!

Mcmillan Model (rem classic, mountain stock, etc) of your choice with Edge fill. I would use a number 2 or 3 barrel contour if this is truly a hunting rig.

I believe manners with their hunting line of stocks will get you a stock around 2 pounds. I'm having Accurate Ordnance build me a 18" 6.5 creedmoor 500 meter hunting/800 Meter target rifle with Surefire break to run either 762k or 762 mini cans, the contour is the AO varmint And will be running Manners MCS-EH1 with molded in camo. I believe the rifle with 3-15x50 F1 Nightforce suppressor etc will be 12 pounds loaded. I believe it will balance well but if not I will be drilling and adding weight to the butt of the stock.

Last edited: