• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Who makes the best Rings ?

Re: Who makes the best Rings ?

Thanks for the response TheSmokeRolls. The badgers are a slam dunk over the other two mentioned and I will use those on the 338 lapua. Just wanted an opinion on sticking metal rings on an aluminum base. Any suggestions on how much torque to set the badgers on the aluminum base?

Glad they work for you all..
They Ring mark all scopes I used them with in 30mm.
One set Of 34mm RINGS WHERE out of spec oversize and would not hold a S&B scope,I also have a bitch about S&B at the same time so I get the only lemons I guess..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jayjayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will not use BADGER rings.</div></div>

care to expand ASM1?

I have never had anything but good results from badger-short story, i was at a long range match when my shootin pardner waved me over(shootin at 900 yard line) and his scope base was loose, called over block officials and armorer, they pulled the scope off with rings on(badgers), loctited and tightened the base back down, put the scope in its rings back on and the armorer using a torque wrench of ten thousand foot pounds snapped the foot off one ring. So then they took it to the armorer trailer, took the rings off and replaced with a new set(same badger, model and height), and remounted the set up. My buddy only had a few mins left in the record fire time so went with it. First round........10 ring and same zero as before the whole gaggle started. I'm sold on Badgers </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pc3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Richard Near makes the best rings IMHO</div></div>

No joke, the Near alphamount is the best mount money can buy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrhaymaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the response TheSmokeRolls. The badgers are a slam dunk over the other two mentioned and I will use those on the 338 lapua. Just wanted an opinion on sticking metal rings on an aluminum base. Any suggestions on how much torque to set the badgers on the aluminum base?</div></div>
With badgers I don't torque them to a specific poundage. I just use a 1/4" drive craftsman ratchet about 4" long and tighten it up. Not too loose and I don't try to get them too tight. I know, I know sounds kinda vague. Just remember it's only gotta hold the scope on firmly, so don't try to twist the nutts off. Just one thing to remember= I loosly hand tighten rings to base and then mount scope and equally and incrementally run ring caps down and let them align themselves to the scope. I believe many people ding or mark their scopes because they tighten their rings all the way before they drop in the scope.....Take time to align the components first before any tightening or torqing. I do need to get a torque wrench for rifles. I'm just so used to tightning stuff and it has become 2nd nature....
.................SmokeRolls

Thanks,
That's kinda the method I aleady use and it works good.
New scope should be here Saturday or Monday!

Since we're talking about rings, how are stock IOR rings???

Should I keep or upgrade them to one of the above mentioned???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J3RICHO941</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since we're talking about rings, how are stock IOR rings???

Should I keep or upgrade them to one of the above mentioned???</div></div>
I have had some issues with stock, unlapped IOR rings. One of mine was way out of spec and tightened all the way down they did not even snugg up on the scope, basically worthless. I have seen other quality issues that have been severely lacking, if you get a good pair, count yourself lucky. If buying a set of rings, I believe you could do way better with another brand and save yourself a headache and regret.......
.........................SmokeRolls

I'm buying the new IOR 6-24x56 FFP so the rings come free. I was just wondering if I was gonna need to replace them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J3RICHO941</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm buying the new IOR 6-24x56 FFP so the rings come free. I was just wondering if I was gonna need to replace them. </div></div>

I have a pair of VTACs. Scott at Liberty Optics steered me towards them, since I needed a pair of 35mm in a hurry. They work great for me, FWIW.

That being said, Seekins and Near are fantastic.