• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who plays guitar

jb313

Private
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2013
Western, Mass
Let see your customs,

IMG_8377.jpg
IMG_8380.jpg
IMG_8379.jpg
IMG_8378.jpg

i have a few. i can play a few things, but not much. i can't read music and it takes me a long time to learn anything. after seeing how fast kids absorb it, i really wish i had been able to start when i was a kid. i didnt start until i was almost 40.

i've seen some pretty amazing musicians KILL on POS guitars. another case of "it's not the arrow, it's the indian"

i am the opposite. i have a killer setup, but no skill or talent. but it does help me clear my mind when i need to, and i do enjoy it.

Last edited:
Reactions: jb313
I have quite a few guitars, but only one true custom build from the ground up. Jackson Custom Shop circa 1990. Original artwork from a cowboy-artist friend of mine and submitted to the Custom Shop for the build. It was just a colored pencil sketch he did for me that I liked and they were able to transfer it into a graphic.
DSCN2504.JPG
DSCN2500.JPG

Started playing guitar . Taylor's , Ibanez . My brother need a Bass player about 1985 and so started my life of poverty .
That's me sitting on the right .
3477434_orig.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: jb313 and vh20
Repainted this one after getting a horrible, grungy flat powder blue off. Planning to rewire it some time as the pots are scratchy. I would never profess to being able to play, but it looks pretty on the wall

Attachments

• B90D33C6-851F-4717-94C8-9B070011658E.jpeg
    B90D33C6-851F-4717-94C8-9B070011658E.jpeg
    619.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
I'm another hack. I like to pick, but I wouldn't say that I play.

(I traded a hunting knife for my first guitar on a C-130 on my way to Desert Storm)

I also like to tinker, so I picked up this Tele kit. The neck and all the guts it came with are fucking garbage so I bought a nice Warmoth neck off Ebay. I'll be swapping out the pickups and pots eventually but I'm going to hold off until I get it put together.
I'm hoping to have it assembled and set up this weekend.
Tele kit.jpg

Reactions: Crewdog135
Not a custom, Taylor 416ce

3266C63A-3091-43A8-B843-8932F9D3732D.jpeg

Gibson The paul, i believe a 1978. Picked it out of a garage sale for 100 bucks.
image.jpg

I hardly play any more and sold the rest off. Had a couple of strats Ibanez.

Have a couple basses but they are buried.

If I’m gonna play anything I am gonna play drums.

1948 Gibson L48

MIM Tele in black refinished to TV yellow. Warmoth neck, Schaller locking tuners.

Epiphone Les Paul. The Korean made Epiphones are quite good IMO

7A50763E-571E-4921-AA4D-9CE07D7F07EE.jpeg
F9224A31-3007-4406-BB3D-A268BFFF0AEB.jpeg
CDDAC093-84E1-45DD-9D1F-313C638CC83B.jpeg

Reactions: shotgunslade
1948 Gibson L48

MIM Tele in black refinished to TV yellow. Warmoth neck, Schaller locking tuners.

Epiphone Les Paul. The Korean made Epiphones are quite good IMO

View attachment 8006316View attachment 8006321View attachment 8006317

This is something I have noticed. The "cheaper" guitars are darn nice guitars....not darn nice for the money, flat darn nice.

Story time:

Several years ago I got in my little peanut brain I wanted a "real" Les Paul. Had to be Gibson. So I go down to the little mom and pop guitar shop I visit with $5k in my pocket ready to get that Gibson. Old guy says why, well it is a Gibson. He says humor me, puts a blind fold on me and hands me several (3) guitars, I play them all and say I like this one......an Epiphone. Well so much for that. It was just so much "better" in every way. Had better tone, both plugged and un plugged....(I hate lingo BTW, things like the word tone, action, on I just hate, same with gunz I hate the lingo) and I pay the guy the $650 for the Epi and have that guitar to this day....that was roughly 15 years ago. Then in screwing around on the internet I see this place out of England doing the same basic thing, and it is interesting to see what comes out on top, never the most expensive.

Comes a time when you are paying for the name.

To continue on with that, a few years ago Firefly guitars started getting lots of talk, how good can a $100 guitar really be, heck for 100 I will find out myself. The one I am looking for is always out of stock, I keep looking, watch videos see people talk about them finally after about six months of half looking shows up in stock at Amazon, buy now. It is a good little guitar, the pickups are not the greatest, but how often does a "guitar guy" not have a dozen pickups laying in his junk drawer. I am shocked at how well the little thing plays, fit and finish are....well ok, but as far as a player, again darn nice.

The "low priced" offerings can really give you a playable guitar......but I think you do need to do a little research, and know a little bit about guitars going in, not sure I would suggest one to a new person without help.

Used a 1976 Gibson Firebird back in "The Day" which I loved - it was stolen in like 1981 and I literally never got over it. No matter what guitars I owned/played after that the only thing that felt right was another Firebird. By the time I decided to buy another one Gibson had cheaped them out/ruined the original and older guitars were in the thousands of dollars. Then I noticed ESP/LTD had issued a near clone - not exact enough to get sued over but close enough. I played one and then bought an brand new LTD/LTD Phoenix 1000 in see thru black cherry. Wow....

'Cept it comes with gold hardware and a black pickguard and these dweeby brass knobs. I hate gold hardware as it's too tarted up for me and my body chemistry literally eats the gold plating so the guitar looks like it's 40 years old in about 6 months. So I tricked it out with all new black hardware, had a custom pickguard made, added Graph Tech Ratio tuning machines, swapped the pickups. Loved the Fishman Fluence pickups but liked the alnico sound of the neck pickup better so when I went to black pickups I installed 2 Fishman Fluence Alnico pickups instead of like the original which had a ceramic in the bridge position. Sounds *Sooooo* good now especially with the Stetsbar tremolo.

FirebirdV2.0.png

Ebony fretboard, black speed knobs, whammy bar, ....everything I wanted just like I wanted it and the fit and finish of this guitar blows away anything I have seen out of Gibson for the last 40 years. I even had a sticker place make me up vinyl Firebird Logo stickers for the pickguard as the custom pickguard place wouldn't engrave it. Took over 40 years but I finally got my 'Bird back!

VooDoo

Not a custom but here ya go anyway. Been playing 36 years. Been playing Ibanez at least 30 years. I've had 10 Ibanez ( 7 of them RG variants )
This is the first fixed bridge I've owned.
IMG_20221128_112722970.jpg

I don’t own any “customs”.

I would like to apologize in advance to the fact that I do not own any new guitars. All of mine are used.

I culled this one from the herd for you reprobates.

If your going to delve into the world of tantilizing tunings, and fancy yourself a sultan of sensuous song singing, you’ll gain a lot of miles by aligning your talents, and be thought of as a male version of Joan Baez….

74EF99A0-4083-4043-824F-077CFFD93F57.jpeg
5FE452FD-801F-40C6-B040-B457A55F3B05.jpeg

I believe this one is a 1968.

@lowlight plays guitar. Maybe he’ll show us one of his.

Reactions: stefan73
My bro kept crowing about stainless frets, so I had to try them.

The EVH Amp, he (Same buddy) sent me the head, he went bigger, and I just had to grab a small cabinet
There is about 9 bazillion different sizes of fret wire, let alone 20 different materials.
You can get a bunch of different heights and widths.
If you get the right height with a narrow width you don't have to push the string all the way down to the fingerboard so they can seriously speed up your playing fast abilities.
Some of the older Ibanez (think late 70's early 80's era) had fantastic tall/narrow fret wire from the factory and were some of the best playing electrics ever made.......until Gibson sued them.
I have an old Ibanez Musician series around here somewhere (MC450DS)....I have never played a faster neck.

Reactions: Lapuapalooza
All mine got ripped off in a burglary. As to the OP, this guy:

This is (like) the one that got stolen from me.

Paul Reed Smith Custom, one piece top, bird inlays, whale blue.

1669860423067.png

and one of these, 64 Fender Blackface Super Reverb

1669860640215.png

and one of these

a Harry Kolbe modded Marshall 100 watt super lead

1669860782836.png

Losing all that stuff broke me and I just never picked up a guitar again.

How do you tell its a bot?

I was getting ready to talk of "boutique" guitars.

I have the hots for this. They are not too bad for a hand made guitar.

This is (like) the one that got stolen from me.

Paul Reed Smith Custom, one piece top, bird inlays, whale blue.

View attachment 8011091

and one of these, 64 Fender Blackface Super Reverb

View attachment 8011097

and one of these

a Harry Kolbe modded Marshall 100 watt super lead

View attachment 8011098

Losing all that stuff broke me and I just never picked up a guitar again.
Nice. I did not know you are a guitar player, too.

I started teaching myself in October of 1974. Warning: I was poor. My mother gave me an old folk guitar my father had given her (he was a music major at U of SD in the past, and transferred to UCLA.

All she could afford was a new set of nylon strings and Mel Bay's Book of Chords.

My step-grandfather, who sang basso-baritone in church choir, taught me to read music.

So, I was also singing but did not have a lot of technique.

I saved lawn mowing money and when I was 18, I bought a Memphis copy of a Les Paul Standard and a Marlboro 132 A practice amp and an MXR 10 band graphic equalizer.

Over the years, I would buy more guitars and a Fender 85 amp, a Roland GS-6 digital effects modeler (rack mount), and Digitech RP-55. Gave those away and have a Fender Mustang GTX 100 amp with footswitch board and mainly play my Ibanez. I have a cheapie acoustic I bang stuff out on and a Yamaha C45 classical guitar that sounds beautiful. I taught myself classical guitar, as well, transcribing to tablature. I scherzo, a sarabande, a Bach two-part invention.

Reactions: Maggot