• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Who removes plates from AICS Mags

Re: Who removes plates from AICS Mags

Well you can drill them out yourself, and then just find someone that welds good to fill the hole. A wood or aluminum (if you have it) block held tight on the inside will keep you fill nice and flush.

Is your action modified to accept the longer rounds?

A good rivet countersink drill bit does a good job of drilling out the spot welds.

Someone that can Tig Weld well Can fill them back up.
Like Triggertime said, make sure you have something on the inside so it leaves a flush weld and not a big puddle inside.

+1 on just using a flat piece of alum. brass. or copper on the inside for backing the weld while it cools.

The backing material doesn't stick.

I have used this method on Differential covers to great sucess.

Of you could just buy either a USO MORTA mag or a AccurateMag WSM mag and not have to worry about drilling and welding.

maybe i am missing something but i am not seeing the advantage of wiring them out. anyone with a drill, welder and a sanding disc on a grinder should be able to do a professional looking job.

i used a flat piece of copper to back the weld.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">maybe i am missing something but i am not seeing the advantage of wiring them out. anyone with a drill, welder and a sanding disc on a grinder should be able to do a professional looking job.</div></div>

+1 No reason to use an EDM on something like this.

-matt