• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who sells Remington 700 bolts?

pingi3

Private
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I'm converting a spare 700 from a 223 to a 308. I'm hoping that is the only thing I need to convert calibers. Thanks.

Re: Who sells Remington 700 bolts?

Thank you for the info. Do you know if I could send them my action and they could custom fit the bolt or is that up to me?

You can buy David Tubb's bolt from www.superiorshootingsystems.com But if you are trying to save money I would look at MidwayUSA. The Dave Kiff bolts (Pacific Tool & Gauge) do not have the handles installed, they need to be timed to the action by a gunsmith which can cost between $60-$100. If you are trying to save money i would suggest buying one of the MidwayUSA pre-timed bolt bodies in .308 and use the firing pin assesmbly you already have. That would be a 'turn key' system.

As a side note...most Remington actions are cut with a .702" raceway (the channel the bolt slides in). The replacement bolts are offered in a variety of different diameters from .697"-.700". The Remington factory bolts are a .697" diameter in the .702" raceway which is good but a little sloppy. The bolts offered from David Tubb's company are a .699" (in a .702" raceway) which gives a nice snug .003" fit. I personnally would not recommend going tighter than a .699" bolt on an untouched Remington reciever. I think for an untrued Remington a .698" bolt is perfect. It gives a tighter fit but still allows enough tolerances for Cerakote or dirt and grit for tactical or hunting applications.

Some gunsmith's can bore the raceway to .703"-.705" truing it up in the process. Then they fit it with a larger diameter bolt that gives you a snug trued action but its not cheap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpermd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are usually 2-3 on GunBroker.

CP</div></div>

+1 on gunbroker

Comparing prices, the Tubb bolt is actually a pretty good buy. AT $369, it comes with the handle silver soldered on, a speedlock firing pin and cocking piece assembly, aluminum bolt shroud, chrome silicon striker spring, a custom bolt knob, Tubb extractor, and it's fluted. Compare that to $329 from Midway for a standard bolt handle and Remmy extractor, and no shroud/cocking piece/FP, but fluted body.

PTG makes the Tubb bolts, so it seems like a pretty decent deal to me. It would be better perhaps, if the Tubb bolts had a TIG welded handle, but I guess you can't have everything.

Talk with your gunsmith, Im not 100% sure but I think the feeding might not work with the 308 from a 223 <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pingi3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm converting a spare 700 from a 223 to a 308. I'm hoping that is the only thing I need to convert calibers. Thanks. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elkhuntinguide</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dave Kiff at Pacific Tool and Gauge Inc....

PTG .... </div></div>

+1 for PTG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pingi3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm converting a spare 700 from a 223 to a 308. I'm hoping that is the only thing I need to convert calibers. Thanks. </div></div>

That's a waste of a perfectly good 223 action as you'll have to hog out the feed area in addition to changing the bolt if you want it to be a repeater in 308.

Why not trade it off for a 308 action here? 223 actions are not that easy to come by.

I got my PTG bolt at .702" because the raceway on my .308 was tapered from .7038 -.7045. It was way too tight along the entire length. He is going to lap the raceway to be .705 along the entire length. Do you think that will be smooth, while at the same time not sloppy?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can buy David Tubb's bolt from www.superiorshootingsystems.com But if you are trying to save money I would look at MidwayUSA. The Dave Kiff bolts (Pacific Tool & Gauge) do not have the handles installed, they need to be timed to the action by a gunsmith which can cost between $60-$100. If you are trying to save money i would suggest buying one of the MidwayUSA pre-timed bolt bodies in .308 and use the firing pin assesmbly you already have. That would be a 'turn key' system.

As a side note...most Remington actions are cut with a .702" raceway (the channel the bolt slides in). The replacement bolts are offered in a variety of different diameters from .697"-.700". The Remington factory bolts are a .697" diameter in the .702" raceway which is good but a little sloppy. The bolts offered from David Tubb's company are a .699" (in a .702" raceway) which gives a nice snug .003" fit. I personnally would not recommend going tighter than a .699" bolt on an untouched Remington reciever. I think for an untrued Remington a .698" bolt is perfect. It gives a tighter fit but still allows enough tolerances for Cerakote or dirt and grit for tactical or hunting applications.

Some gunsmith's can bore the raceway to .703"-.705" truing it up in the process. Then they fit it with a larger diameter bolt that gives you a snug trued action but its not cheap. </div></div>