• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who to have build a gun?

Zback

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 8, 2019
I plan on building a bolt action mountain rifle for elk hunting. I plan to gather my parts (manners EH1, Lone Peak Fuzion TI, proof barrel) and was wanting to get recommendations on who to send it to for assembly and finish?

Where are you located?

some shops have a 6-12 month backlog some could have it done next weekend.

Who ever you go to, start ASAP!!! TS Custom was one I spoke with and had all the parts in stock. I believe he quoted me 2-3 months.

Reactions: 243AI
Lots of good builders around there isn’t just one correct answer for sure. LRI is very present on here and do solid work. Personally I have a build by GA Precision and it’s gone back for additional modification I wanted. I have always been thrilled with their work.

Without reservation I can recommend Jeff Hayes. He is a great person and turns out Awesome rifles.

Also not that far from AR, as he is located just NW of Kansas City, MO

Reactions: yej0001
I second TS Customs. Great dude, great communication, great work. You may also give David at Deep South Tactical a call. They've been building some hammers for a while now.

If nothing is “gathered” yet, call any of the one named and have them do it turn key.

You prob won’t save much money gathering if any at all and the Smith will definitely have a shorter lead time for parts than you.

Quicker is better...nothing should take more than 3 months, unless you want a particular item that is out of stock everywhere.

Build your own. Plenty of great actions with drop in barrels. Plenty of trigger choices.
My last build was a barreled Bighorn action from Bugholes and I took it from there. I think that's the way I am going to go moving forward.

pre

Travis at TS Customs is your man. He has completed one this year for me, I have another that will ship next week, and I currently rounding up parts for numbers three and four to go to him next month.

He also does a ton of light weight hunting builds.

I plan on building a bolt action mountain rifle for elk hunting. I plan to gather my parts (manners EH1, Lone Peak Fuzion TI, proof barrel) and was wanting to get recommendations on who to send it to for assembly and finish?

If you go to TS Customs, Travis prefers to use a flat top and doing the inletting himself. The fit and finish of this service is spot on. Last I talked to him he had some EH1As instock as well.

Sportsman’s Finest in Austin does good builds and because they’re new- little backlog of any. The gunsmith they brought in is legit.

Lots of great smiths out there. Talk to a couple different ones recommend above and see what they have to say. If you’re planning to take it elk hunting for 2020 you may want to get moving quick so if they can get it back to you in enough time for this year you would want to get acclimated to shooting it and feel confident taking the shot. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

I've used LRI, Crescent Customs, and Rivers Bend. LRI does excellent work and quick turnaround time. Crescent Customs does excellent work, but the wait is longer. But he does all the work himself. River's Bend, they are nice people.

Another vote for Travis at TScustoms. Moon from Crescent Customs. Dave Tooley. Robert Gradous. Mile high. So many options...

Fritz from Mile High broke off and is doing his own thing now. Black Canyon Customs. Lead times are pretty short and if you had work done at mile high, Adam or Fritz were the ones doing it. Just another option with shorter lead time.

I like the guys at West Texas Ordnance. They do great work. It’s worth checking them out.

I had my comp gun put together by Ryan Hunt at Hunt's Long Range LLC in Summersville, Mo and it's an absolute hammer.

My first time out with the new rifle I was shooting a tossed together hand load, 5 shots to zero, and quick 5 shot group printed 0.19" 5 shot group.
shot_1589504958331.jpg

Reactions: Bender
What caliber?
My opinion, give bartlein a chance with there new carbon wrapped barrel option.
Crescent Customs Rifles, SAC,LRI.

I’m not sure area419 has a working phone lol.

I had TS Customs build a 300 Winn Mag for me last year with the Lone Peak Action and a proof barrel, McMillian Stock that was sent to Utah Hydrographics for camo dip and could not be happier. Travis did a fantastic job, kept me advised along the way and was just a pleasure to deal with. I'm in North Carolina, he is in South Dakota no big deal. The gun shoots like a dream and it looks good too. I now own two rifles built by TSC and completely satisfied.

Travis’s is your man .Bulid by a hunter for a hunter . He dose great work and is very helpful if you have any questions.

Lane Precision Rifles has been the best smith I've worked with. He is not the most expensive, but I have gotten the most accurate rifles from him. I have never tried to take parts to him for a build other than the scope. With that, I would be very skeptical of anyone that does not have a 9 month to full year backlog right now.

Dude call LRI, great work and fast.

many great smiths have been called out in the thread and you probably can’t go wrong with most, but I’d call chad

Reactions: Stoweit
Lane Precision Rifles has been the best smith I've worked with. He is not the most expensive, but I have gotten the most accurate rifles from him. I have never tried to take parts to him for a build other than the scope. With that, I would be very skeptical of anyone that does not have a 9 month to full year backlog right now.
This is just stupid. Backlog is a perk? Well, there is a guy in Zepher Hills FL that could build your next rifle.....

• Haha
Reactions: b6graham
Dave Tooley for the win!!! He has a government contract and at one point held world records for long range shooting! He build my .300WM and I couldn't be happier. He's a super nice guy! Builds riffles in Oriental, NC (the coast). He will build all my rifles in the future!
.300WM PIC.jpg

Attachments

• .300WM PIC.jpg
    .300WM PIC.jpg
    543.9 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: BED