• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

who trues savage action with minimal lead time

Dshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2013
West side, MI
Hiders, looking for a good smith to true up a savage action and cut a barrel down. Trying to find someone with a short lead time. I understand its getting to be that time of the year but not wanting to wait 8-10 weeks. Thanks

Not sure on lead times, but I would get a hold of Kevin Rayhill. Just make sure you have time to talk when you call him.

Had Fred at SSS do mine(true/install new CIB)early in the year, turn around was a little over 3 weeks and I requested some custom bbl flutes. I never spoke to him but his wife kept me well informed during the process.

While the rifle shoots bug holes, might give Rayhill some business next time..

Wouldnt send anything to SSS even if they said they would do it for free! Kevin Rahill is a man of his word and met his promise time for work he did for me.

Hey guys, thanks a bunch for the recommendations. Called Rayhill and he called me right back. 7-10 day turnaround!! That's great! A little pricey but I'll try him out. Also call RW Snyder and left 2 messages and apparently he's too busy bs-ing here on the hide to return calls. Oh well....Rayhill it is and I'm excited! Thanks again

I would do it myself before I used Sharp Shooter Supply , Kevin Rayhill dose good work and helped me out over the phone when I had Savage problems.

doesn't savage use a free float bolt head so you don't have to true the action.
set me straight plz.

set me straight plz.
They sure do....and it works great in a perfect world as in, the lugs are true to the bolt face and the action face is true to lug. Some people do run a virgin action with aftermarket barrels and some are OCD like myself and have them trued up

I just talked to Kevin today he finished my Savage in about 3 weeks, no biggie, he told me two weeks to a month. its about a month. I sent a different rifle to SSS at the same time, I ecpect it to take a bt longer but I am happy with the products SSS sells.

One other thing if you are getting teh Savage trued, have them install the PTG bolt head at the same time, you will have no more ejection issues.

set me straight plz.

You only need to make sure the action face is true otherwise the barrel nut pushes on one side of the barrel more than the other.

If you are sending parts such as a action and bbl to a smith, getting the action trued or at least checked would be very smart.

If you want to get the tools and do it yourself, most won't have a lathe to do that properly. Home builds have proven to be very accurate though and that is a feature that makes a Savage even better when considering a platform to build off of.

I can definitely tell a difference in the Savage action that Kevin went through, compared to my other savage actions.