• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Who uses their .308 tactical rifle for hunting?

hoser45

Private
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2009
How many of you actually use your shorter tactical rifle (20" - 22" barrel), like a Rock, hunting in the field? Do you find it too heavy? I'm thinking for wild pig, deer, elk, ect?

I know it's possible in theory, but how many of you actually DO it? Does fluted barrel help? Thanks for helping me justify another purchase!

Re: Who uses their .308 tactical rifle for hunting?

I have the Rock. I haven't had a chance to use it yet but, it's lighter than my 24" 7mm magnum. So yes, I intend to use it as my regular hunting rifle from here on in. This includes, pigs, deer, coyotes, bobcat, etc.

GAP Rock .308 22" barrel w/many options. It's not really tactical, just really accurate. I have the fluted barrel, I can't give you a comparison based on how much the fluted vs non-fluted feels, but it is not a problem for me to stand, hold, and make a shot. As for carrying it, I couldn't tell you how it feels on my back after all day. However, I can tell you I would rather carry my Rock than my jagged 6.8mm AR that I am soon to sell.

I have a Rem 700 LTR that I hunt with. I shoot 168g SMK over Varget for my range load, come hunting season, I just swap out 165g SGK with the same loading.

They print just about as good and do very well on deer sized game.

The LTR is not too heavy at 20" fluted. I have used it on mountain goat. I drew another goat tag this year so it'll be back up the mountain again, as well as deer here, which might as well be another goat hunt.
It has been excellent on deer, goat and caribou so far.

Yes, every rifle I own is a Remington varmint or heavier contour.

Last year I took my semi-custom back packing for mule deer in montana, it has a fluted m24/m40 rock creek ~21 to 21.75 depending on your method of measurement. Weight is right around 11.5 pounds with scope (2 pound NF NXS, manners t-4 stock) a back pack that can carry it is a great idea and what I do. I have an unfluted 223 in the same length and contour and it is about a pound more.

In the future the heaviest contour I will build with will be either a rem-varmint or a rock creek heavy sporter bull (#6 I think). That profile is heavier than the rem-varmint on the shooters end but tapers to .750 @26" which should be even better balanced than the rem-varmint with over all weight a wash between them.

I use my heavy rifles for most of my hunting(12-17lbs.). For steep, high elevation hunts, I go with my 7 and 8 pounders...

I use my one of 20" 308s for most of my whitetail hunting. The one with the a5 and nxs 5.5x22 usually only comes when I go to a box blind or anywhere else I can have a rest to shoot from. My a1 does the job everywhere else and is ok to shoot offhand. Carrying either for a couple miles is no problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeathByCactus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the Rock. I haven't had a chance to use it yet but, it's lighter than my 24" 7mm magnum. So yes, I intend to use it as my regular hunting rifle from here on in. This includes, pigs, deer, coyotes, bobcat, etc. </div></div>

.308 for bobcat? You won't have anything left.

I use my tacticool rifle for hunting whitetail's, it weighs about 13 lbs, and I know a lot of guys who carry heavier rifles than mine.

Just get a good sling, and hike up your skirt already!!!
grin.gif

I think that is one of the best aspects of owning a precision tactical rifle. It can serve the role of a hunting rifle, a target rifle, and a tactical rifle, all in one package.

I have two custom Remington 700's with 24" Rock Creek M40 contour barrel in an AICS chassis with a Schmidt & Bender PMII. One is a .308 Win. and the other is 6.5x47 Lapua. Both guns are heavy and both are hunters. All that weight adds up to confidence.

I run my Rem SPS Tac 20" bbl in Manners T4A and S&B 4-16. Works great, but I'm not humping miles or mountains with the 15lbs (empty) either.

I use both a factory LTR and my heavy F-TR for hunting. I do what the texas boys call beanfield hunting so I overwatch a field waiting for the deer/feral hogs to come out and play.

The LTR makes a great rough and tumble truck/tractor rifle. It has taken a hog literally at the end of the barrel. Taken a trotting coyote offhand at 220. Took the female when she stopped to look back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bribri</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Just get a good sling, and hike up your skirt already!!!
grin.gif

</div></div>

That's what I was thinkin' but you beat me to it!
grin.gif

700 sps tac has killed many pigs and deer for me. It got a whole lot heavier this summer but shoots better and will be with me in the field again this season.

.308 for bobcat? You won't have anything left. [/quote]

Down in my neck of the woods, that's the idea.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1kHIT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.308 for bobcat? You won't have anything left. </div></div>

Down in my neck of the woods, that's the idea.
wink.gif
[/quote]

Yeah, cause if you're caught shooting a bobcat in IL, you're gonna be screwed. I guess that way, there's no evidence. I've heard rumors that they are talking about opening a season for them here. I'm from Central IL, and have heard about people seeing them, but I know they have more down south.

all of my rifles follow the "Tacticool" Genre, all are fairly heavy(~15 lbs) and all of them hunt..

I've got a 16lb .260 custom that I take hunting all the time. It is more than worth it when I consider how accurate the gun is. Granted with the NF scope and oversized bolt it can be a bit uncomfortable to pack around on your back but it isn't too bad. The only time it really became a pain in the ass was last year. I drug a buck through 8 acres of ankle deep water with the gun slung on my back. It was dark and the swamp was bad thick. I cussed a little that night but that good looking 8pt more than made up for it.

As for weight, here is my moose I did with my TRG 42. That damn thing was heavy, but I was fine
DSCN0686.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LeviSS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeathByCactus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the Rock. I haven't had a chance to use it yet but, it's lighter than my 24" 7mm magnum. So yes, I intend to use it as my regular hunting rifle from here on in. This includes, pigs, deer, coyotes, bobcat, etc. </div></div>

.308 for bobcat? You won't have anything left. </div></div>

I killed my last bobcat with a 7mm Magnum. Had a 10 inch exit wound (basically it's entire mid section). I don't think a .308 will be much worse. Regardless, I have one mounted bobcat, don't need another. They are nuisance animals and free for all down here.

I use my Savage Mod 12 in a Stockade stock, Vbull DBM, SS 10x42M for everything, I just recently swapped the 26" factory barrel for a 20" threaded and it'll just be used more

Barrel length and fixed vs detachable mag?

What is max barrel length you feel is good without getting "unwieldy" in the field?

Prefer fixed or detachable mags?

If I'm walking, I use my .260 Rem Mod 7 with a 3-9x Zeiss. If I don't know what I'm going to be doing I use my .280 AI with a medium-weight 25" bbl with a Zeiss 4.5-14x on top. If I'm hunting fixed (like bean-field hunting), I use my 6.5-284 or .308 heavy guns.

Re: Barrel length and fixed vs detachable mag?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hoser45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is max barrel length you feel is good without getting "unwieldy" in the field?

Prefer fixed or detachable mags? </div></div>

Should edit your first thread with this, not a lot of people will read the entire thing before they post.

24" typically. Mags don't really matter unless you are gonna be in a combat situation I don't think. At least a fast reload never made a difference in my deer tags being maxed out.

I have a Remington 5R i hunt coyotes-up to deer with, and carry all day.
If that gets to heavy i have a Remington model 7 SS with 18" barrel in 308 i start packing.

I hunt with a Remington 700 with mcm A4 and 24'' MTU contour Krieger. It's heavy but I don't have a problem with it

I use my 25" AMU contour R700 to hunt mule deer with now for 2 seasons. Works great. Weighs 14.5#. No plans to change anything this fall.

IMG_1279-1.jpg

16 pound Surgeon .308 worked pretty good on this mule deer buck at 470 meters.

Hoser45,

If one is proficient with his weapon, it is not unweildly. One learns to become accustomed to ones equipment, its limitations and abilities.

You have to determine the parameters in which you will employ this weapon and what are the collateral parameters which will allow, or disallow you to maximize the abilities of you and your weapon.

One needs, always, to prepare for any forseeable scenario.

If you have even a remote sense that your weapon is not correct for the mission, given what it is, hogs, prarie dogs, or humans, then one needs to reassess the required equipment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">16 pound Surgeon .308 worked pretty good on this mule deer buck at 470 meters. </div></div>Nice!

I absolutely do because it's simply what I am used to shooting.

I try to use them for hunting. Mostly 308 semi custom remington 700's. They get heavy. I really liked the overall feel and balance of my 700 ltr in 308( I have had a few over the years all similar in setup) and keep that handy as a spare go to rifle, for a semi custom model 7 stainless in 308 that I have caoted matte black, has an hs stock on it,made a bolt knob out of 6061 for it and added a vari x III 3.5x10 to it, much lighter yet acts feels similar to my ltr.
Last fall , I actually used a modifed ruger 77 tang safety, hart heavy barrel in 257 roberts for almost everything. Just had to justify having it( used it on evrything from rabbits, ground hogs, coyotes, to deer with 75 v max and 100 gr nosler bt)
Not a true tactical rifle by any means but fun and enjoyable to shoot.

308 in t4 stock with #17 krieger at 24". Weight's in at 16 pounds.
It's my go to deer killing machine.

I have a Reminton 700ACC with a 20" "cannon" bbl on it. I was thinking like you and was thinking about hunting with is but is is way too heavy. I wished I would have bought a lighter bbl gun. I might have is fluted and see how much that will lighten it up. I like the gun but hate the weight.

The smallest barrel I have on a rifle is a lilja navy tactical taper, average weight 14 pounds with nightforce scopes. Eberly and sturdy legs help a ton. My coyote rifle weighs 13 pounds. My 308 12 pounds girlfriend shoots deer with that.

I have taken many whitetail deer with my 20" modified 700P. I cannot remember which member here stated, "One rifle....One scope....One load", but that statement really opened my eyes to how many variables I was facing. By using the same gun for both hobbies (target shooting & hunting), I really honed my abilities.

I'm planning to use my GAP 308 for deer this year. It has the Templar action and a Bartlein MTU contour barrel 25" in OD green. It's in a McMillan HTG stock. I also have a Nightforce 8x32x56 NXS on it now, but plan to mount my 5.5x22x56 NSX on it before season. It's heavy but it sure does shoot good!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hoser45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is max barrel length you feel is good without getting "unwieldy" in the field?
</div></div>

I once took a 26” barreled 308 with an A3 stock on a guided hunt. The horse saddle and scabbard set up had the stock pointing forward and barrel pointing back toward the tail. The gun didn’t fit into the scabbard and thus stuck out farther than it should have. Basically, it just irritated the horse because it was too close to his head and would sort of poke the horse if you tried to turn to the right. Consequently, the horse would not turn right and would buck if you tried to make him turn right. If you wanted to turn 90 degrees to the right, you had to make a 270 degree turn to the left. If I was going to hunt with a guide again, I’d either bring a horse scabbard that worked for my rifle, or a rifle that was more standard size and could fit in the guide’s horse scabbards. It’s been awhile since I had this experience and I can’t remember if it was more that the barrel was too long or the A3 stock was too fat. Were I to build a 308 today, it would have a 20” barrel and Manners MCS-T stock.

Killed this 160+ incher with a 26" Sako TRG22 and a Nightforce 5-22X50.
16kuys5.jpg

This 150+ incher with the same rifle and scope as above.
29m5bb5.jpg

I only had about a 1 mile hump in each direction for both carrying a 20+ pound pack and I was hunting in hilly Kansas, so I wasn't climbing. The top deer weighed in a shade over 260 pounds and the bottom was closer to 280, drove the truck up to both and had help loading both.

If I ever get a chance to go out west and hunt, I'll be taking a lighter rifle for sure. Anything under a couple of miles and the Sako goes.

I have a bad foot/ankle, my wife says it knocked my brain loose too, from getting hit head on in a car crash at about 60 mph and I can't motorvate over rough terrain with a big bunch of weight on my back.