• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who will work on a 1917 Eddystone

mdharris68

Private
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2010
So here is the issue. My wifes grandfather left me his 1917 Eddystone. It was sporterized when I got it, ears cut off, front sight removed and the receiver drilled and tapped for weaver 2 piece base. It also had an old weaver 4x scope on it. I would like to find someone who could true the receiver top, then take some sort of one piece rail and mount it, and line it up with the bore so that I dont have to use the rings that have the side to side adjustment. I think they are too hard to get the scope in line with the bore. The barrel seems to shoot fine as I can cover 3 165 sst's with a quarter at 100yrds. I will never sell the gun and I would like to make it a functionaly accurate rifle so when one of my boys decides he wants to use it, it's ready. Any ideas on a good smith that deals in these guns? My local smith wouldn't consider it, he just tried to sell me a new gun. He just didn't get the point. Any thoughts and recommendations?

Not saying do not do it but to get a quality job, you will spend 2X what the rifle will bring, so you know that going in.

The barrel seems to shoot fine as I can cover 3 165 sst's with a quarter at 100yrds. I will never sell the gun and I would like to make it a functionaly accurate rifle so when one of my boys decides he wants to use it, it's ready

Sounds "functionally accurate" to me, I think I would leave it as Wife's grandfather left it for her.

You don't need no stinking rail. Just buy a new set of mounts and optics. If it was mine ( I have bunch of Bubba 17's), I'd leave her as is. Cast some lead pills and put Bambi in the cooler.

I think that there are many simpler and less costly routes to a shootable rifle. I also think that family heirlooms, whatever their condition, warrant preservation.