• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Who works on Rugers? Re-barrel job

RidgeRebel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2009
Hurricane, UT
Just weighing the options,
I have a Ruger M77 in 243 win that I am thinking about upgrading. The rifle is a standard sporter right now with a walnut stock. I would like to re-barrel the rifle to either a 7mm-08 or a 6.5 CM in a heavy barrel and have the stock opened up to accept the heavy barrel. Does anybody know what it might cost.

Thanks
Bob

Re: Who works on Rugers? Re-barrel job

Sure,

We barrel just about anything (whores!
smile.gif
)

$200 hangs a std barrel. $250 for fluted. If it requires and extractor cut, add an additional $50 to each.

I have the tooling on the shelf so there's no reamer charge.

Barrel will be threaded/chambered/cut to length/crowned (your choice, 11* tgt or 11* recessed hunter) spun polished, CNC engraved with the cartridge, and fully assembled.

Headspace set to GO+.001-.002

Breach clearance typically set at .015" for field guns

Add $40 for blasting the barrel

Add $200 for C-Kote on everything.

A CAD modeled barrel channel inlet runs you $100.

Be glad to help.

C.

Chad, I have an older (70's) M77V w/ a bull bbl. in 22.250 that has seen better days. What can ya do to the action to help out w/ accuracy for a new bbl? I love the wood and it's got a Canjar set at "don't breathe hard" ounces....
Thought about selling it, but you have now conflicted me!
Not to hijack the OP, but he may find action work/quotes helpful as well. Take care.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Accurizing it isn't worth it IMO.</span>

Just put a new barrel on it and roll.

Be glad to help.

C. </div></div>
Is this because the actions are already accurate enough?
Because they are so bad as to not able to be improved enough to be worth the effort?
The volume is so low it isn't worth the programming effort?

Probably that the rifle would not have the value of the work when completed.

Thanks, Chad. This won't happen till next yr. sometime. Got another one in the works now, need another scope, my teeth hurt, my tranny is out on the truck, I loaned my lawnmower to the neighbor.....you get the idea. But I WILL know who to contgact when the time comes. Take care.

+1 for Mark's question.

Chad I have great respect for your ability and straight forward, no nonsense approach to your craft.

I would like some further input in regards to the Ruger action.

Thanks,

Chet

The reason I read this site is to learn. Once in a while I have to ask a beginner question. Today is one of those days. What is the "Breach clearance typically set at .015" for field guns". I am also interested in why a Ruger action is not worth accurizing?
Thanks

Tag....C Dixon the new E. F Hutton!! lol

If you want to rebarrel and you're not looking to build a "full on ultra tacticool rig", you can send the barreled action out to E.R. Shaw in PA and have a new tube spun on and chambered for less than $300 including shipping. Just remember it won't be "tacticool" for all the guys here but, it will function just fine.

You can find them here.

There are two main reasons the Rugers don't find their way onto more tactical platforms.

1. That funky 60* recoil lug.
2. Integral scope ring mounts.

Other than that it is essentially a Mauser with a tang safety and associated trigger mods (the newer ones have it someplace else). Not too many folks make stocks for them and tacticool parts are essentially non existent.

I have 2 M77's (30-06 and 300WM) in regular hunting trim that were painstakingly bedded (not fun) and as a result are both hammers for 3 rounds. Historically there were good years and bad years for them which left a bad taste in folks mouths, the good ones were good and the bad ones were terrible. Personally I like mine but I have shot some that I would worry about using as a tomato stake.

Cheers,

Doc

Rugers are just a pain in the ass. Period. The funky geometry for the lug, the screw angles, etc, make them labor intensive when it comes to working on the receivers and/or stocks.

It's not that it can't be done or that we don't do it, its just that the added expense I have to charge can get to a point of diminishing returns rather quickly.

As for rates. I fit a std contour barrel for $200 bucks. Add $50 for fluting. Add another $50 if it requires an extractor cut for CRF actions.

My lathe is a Doosan Mecatec 280NII slant bed CNC turning center.
Almost 6 figures. We don't run production work on it. We barrel with it. It does a very nice job that I'll show along side anyone of my competitors. Call it a Pepsi challenge or whatever. It also allows us to be efficient and get this kind of work through the shop quickly.

That ultimately benefits our clients as they aren't waiting around 4 months on a simple barrel job.

If we have the tooling on the shelf (meaning the reamer of choice) we do our best to hold to a 5 day turnaround on barrel work.

Be glad to help.

C.

Don't leave out that the tang safety ruger fails to be a crf and then add in the cast receiver and abortion scope mounts. It's not that they can't be great rifles, but its like a fat kid playing in the NFL, it will take a lot of work to get where others start.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The reason I read this site is to learn. Once in a while I have to ask a beginner question. Today is one of those days. What is the "Breach clearance typically set at .015" for field guns". I am also interested in why a Ruger action is not worth accurizing?
Thanks </div></div>

Bench rest guys get all sexed up over running tolerances as tight as possible in the hopes of shooting ultra small 5 shot groups. The rifles are purpose built for this and this alone.

The tolerances can quickly get to the point of being silly.

But it is what it is.

A breech clearance of .015" simply allows a little room for funk that's going to accumulate if a rifle is used in the field. Dust, grime, carbon, etc.

It's generally not realistic to stop in the middle of a hunt, tactical match, NRA highpower event, Palma, etc to clean your rifle. In benchrest its routine to do so all the time.

Truth be told, I've yet to see breech clearance set ultra tight have ANY impact on improving accuracy. It's been my experience that it ultimately serves as a catalyst to the contrary. If you have a Nesika for instance and you set the tolerance too tight, it will gall itself to bits if crap gets packed between the lug surfaces. Nesika's legacy began with benchrest so its not hard to understand that these particular actions require a different maintenance approach.

There are others as well.

Hope this helped.

C.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rugers are just a pain in the ass. Period. The funky geometry for the lug, the screw angles, etc, make them l<span style="font-weight: bold">abor intensive when it comes to working on the receivers and/or stocks.</span>

It's not that it can't be done or that we don't do it, its just that <span style="font-weight: bold">the added expense I have to charge can get to a point of diminishing returns rather quickly.</span>

C.
</div></div>
Thanks Chad,

This is pretty much what I was thinking, but it's good to hear it from someone with lots of experience.

I have been doing accuracy enhancing rituals in gunsmithing and hand loading for some time, and have compiled lists of things that help and things that do not.

All the actions I trued shot no better.
Obviously truing actions helps someone at some level, or they would not do it.
I am not at that level.
1" 3 shot groups at 100y for big game still looks good to me.
1/2" 5 shot groups at 100y for varmints still looks good to me.

Probably an easy equation to relate to here is; Quality In=Quality Out. The Ruger actions have an issue with the "Quality In" part from the very beginning. None of the actions are completely straight to begin with.

The Remington, Winchester, Tikka, Mauser, etc., etc., actions we work over, show a clear difference on the range afterwards. They definitely benefit from proper attention in the areas that require it. A clear example of this is one of our Mauser based hunting rifles (300RCM) that shoots under our 3/8 MOA guarantee (average of five, five shot groups) and it weighs in at under seven pounds with optics, ammo and sling. Our KRAG based builds also perform far outside the original capabilities.

I don't think there's enough lipstick in the world for the Ruger, but if it's used within its design parameters, simply doing quality barrel work will be a huge improvement. Anything additional takes you far outside the value of the initial platform.

If you watch one of Jim Scoutten's shows on the Outdoor Channel that is a walk through @ Ruger and how they make their firearms you will see a short piece on how Ruger tweaks it's recievers just out of casting. A gent is standing there with a box of recievers and 'tweaking' them on a hydraulic press to "straighten them" as they warp a bit after being investment cast and out of the molds. It don't take him but a couple of seconds per reciever. First if you have to 'straighten=tweak' a reciever prior before anything else can be done and it is a -15 second process on a hydraulic press where in this process does 'accuracy' and 'quality' come into play? They are/were designed to be mass produced as cheap as possible(investment cast) with pure profit in mind. They are what they are, a cheaply made hunting/varmint rig and darn sure not a high end tight tolerance component for a competitive and/or hard used dependable LR setup.

Kinda like a mutt, he can lick your face and leave gubbers just like a $20K show dog but he tain't gonna put you on easy street selling his puppies! Mutt in, mutt out!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
That ultimately benefits our clients as they aren't waiting around 4 months on a simple barrel job.

If we have the tooling on the shelf (meaning the reamer of choice) we do our best to hold to a 5 day turnaround on barrel work.

Be glad to help.

C.

</div></div>

So why is my simple re-barrel, open barrel channel and install cheek piece taking so long?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: css</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Be glad to help.

C.

</div></div>

So why is my simple re-barrel, <span style="font-weight: bold">open barrel channel and install cheek piece </span>taking so long? </div></div>

He didn't say anything about fast stock work.

In 12+ years of this I've used a pretty good variety of barrel manufacturer's. Anymore it seems more of an issue of availability than anything else. Pick any marquee brand and they'll shoot the number if the machine work is done right.

Brux Rifle Barrels from Lodi, WI is who I've sort of fallen into as a pet favorite. The exterior machine work (finish, fluting, etc) is always spot on and they deliver in a very timely fashion.

A guy at home can usually afford to wait a bit for his stick of choice. A shop like mine relies heavily on a dependable pipeline of vendors.

Brux gets a big thumbs up for this.

They shoot exceptionally well, don't foul up, don't require hours of additional labor to make pretty (chattered flutes, poor contouring, lapping etc), and the company is first class all the way.

You can't go wrong with a Brux barrel.

Greg Young, owner of Southern Precision Rifles in Naples FL (Bugholes here on the hide) is a mover/shaker with Brux. He buys them by the chord and sells them the same way. It's been a real plus to be able to use him as a resource for components. Keeps guys like us in the black.

We've barreled close to 50 receivers in the last month and a half. Some from him, some from clients who played the waiting game.

C.

Thank you for the response, Chad. I know you are up to your eyeballs in work, but you still take the time to answer posts here on the Hide.
Hats off to you!