• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who Would You Help When SHTF vs. Who Could You Help?

I realize that this is a firearm related forum.....but firearms only play a small, though important, role in survival!

Pertaining to foods and medicines , you would need have a tremendous amount of reserves to help very many people. To help all of those that you encounter......guarantees that you will all meet the same fate.

When it comes to immediate family, the result will be much the same......because most family members have the innate inability to see beyond tomorrow. The only upside is......you will die with your family!

Providing physical assistance and offering knowledge, will not threaten your wellbeing and can be beneficial to them as well as yourself! A “renewable” resource! memtb

Read this book it is handy to have on this subject. Build a mutual assistance group now weed out the wheat from the chaff now and later you will have experience and procedures in place should there be a collapse to decide if someone new is worth staying or not.

When building you should always start with your neighbors. You are stuck with them and they are the people who are most immediately going to be at your side should something happen no matter if you live 5 feet away from them or 5 miles from them they are your closest support and you theirs.

My neighbors are a mixed lot of hard-core conservatives and hard-core marxists. The latter, obviously, cannot be trusted.

Then there are the ones who are middle-of-the-road types. You never know what they are going to do.

On the other hand, I've seen the type who swear on a stack of bibles that they will always be a pro-gun-bible-toting-conservative-constitutionalist-patriot; only to be back-stabbers when faced with adversity.

Good suggestion on the book.

Have a few fellow Vet friends , most with combat experience from Vietnam through now. Living in a small AO knowing everyone has its positives. Both of my siblings lean towards being full blown Commies , so I have no support family wise.
Daughter is Pro 2A , excellent with weapons , packs a Sig 220 I gave her 20yrs ago.
BUT , she’s married to a twinkle toed snowflake that I don’t trust. 👎
Good solid friends are worth gold 👍

If you convince your daughter to get a divorce, let me know lol.

I am pleased to hear that several have spoken about three moves ahead, to the topic of sustainability. We do have some thinkers here. At some point you may need to think 4 moves ahead, into the realm of re-development of basic technologies (1800s and 1900s level). (mining, smelting, blacksmithing, refining, fibers, cloth, clay/ceramics, milling/sawing, electricity, chemical production). You will be amazed at how many smart people become unknowledgeable, once their smart phone dies. I applaud people who have good paper libraries.

I will also be a bit of a wet blanket. I don't expect we will get the "mad max" level of collapse. Too many people in power will not accept a reduced standard of living. It falls under my comments made prior to Y2K, when everyone thought it was the end. I called the protective mechanism the "Grandma effect". If you work in a power plant, and Grandma lets you know she is freezing to death, you will move heaven and earth to move as fast as you can to restore power. We are currently seeing a lot of people working 18 hour days in Texas to restore power. If you work in a water plant, same story. Nobody wants to see grandma die, if they can do ANY thing about it. As I said earlier, Leaders don't want to see their elevated standard of living collapse, nor do the uber wealthy.

We will have pockets of badness, the summer riots proved that last year. The best protection is to avoid cities which have weak and feckless (pandering) leadership. Keep in mind that both Dallas and Houston had serious problems too, so I don't limit my comments to just Democratic states (Major cities tend to get liberal leadership in order to foster enough votes among the diverse populations). A plan "C" needs to include short term goals if you live in one of those "pockets of badness". Those goals are very different than those who have longer term visions.

I have planned for 9 people in my “life boat“. No more than that. We will end up being “lone wolves” because only 1 single other family on my entire block will have done anything to prepare for any type of “problem”, let alone a SHTF situation. Every person in my “life boat” knows that if we were having to endure the conditions in Texas right now - that we would all be just fine. I’ve lived my life as a basic “Boy Scout” and always remembered to “be prepared” as best I could.

But back to the original question?
Sorry ghost rider, the pattern is full.

Reactions: Longshot231
I echo Doc. God wants you to as well. Pretty sure that's our individual end of the log. Sucks, cuz I'm kinda prickly about some of my "World Views", is what it is.

On another note and offered as encouragement to some - consider that being in shape is a level of credibility about you and your opinion absent order. It pays to be fit.

It was meant for people that think by camping they learn how to survive... probably came off wrong

But there is a time that one must realize that they are no longer able to survive in certain situations. At 60 and on dialysis, I'm not one to go out and live in the woods for a year or two. Everyone must come to that realization. My prepping is done for me AND my family. I'll last as long as I can, but everything I have has really been planned for my family after I'm gone.

My neighbors are a mixed lot of hard-core conservatives and hard-core marxists. The latter, obviously, cannot be trusted.

Then there are the ones who are middle-of-the-road types. You never know what they are going to do.

On the other hand, I've seen the type who swear on a stack of bibles that they will always be a pro-gun-bible-toting-conservative-constitutionalist-patriot; only to be back-stabbers when faced with adversity.

Good suggestion on the book.
Its always crap shoot with who is who but starting with innocuous topics and dropping hints like "I have some homemade salsa I canned I can bring to the cookout" to start the conversation or see who else has canning recipes, little things like that to feel out who is who without asking "Hey do you have any food storage plans and such. It's a thought game but in the end its all about learning the people around you.

Meh.
Im not really close with people like that. My people are prepared

I have one buddy who hasnt prepped, even though I reminded him often.
He is on his own.
And he has more than enough resources financially to be WAY ahead of it all.

Did have breakfast with an old friend last week. She is a divorced mom (kids grown) and a smart and sweet lady. She let me know she was coming to my place if it gets bad.
I politely informed her as to how I expect to be compensated. She didnt argue. 😎

For Krist Sake.

One of the best SHTF plans is.......location, location, location! Stay the hell away from people! And of course....preparation!

For us, closest town (less than 3000 people)....16 miles. Closest large city (50 K or mor people) 160 miles. Closest town with a Walmart....90+ miles. Closest 4 lane highway.....100 miles (+/-).

A water source on two sides of our property, private well, 1000 gallon propane, Solar power if needed, a spare 120 volt well pump that can be run off of solar with the 2500 watt inverter, whole house LED lighting for minimal electricity consumption, large garden area, many yards of manure for garden, lots of hand tools ( do not require fuel), traps to protect garden and a source of protein (raccoons), Honey Bees, plenty of long term stored foods, lots of non-hybrid seeds (sealed in cans), enough calcium chloride to treat 500,000 gallons of H2O, plenty of salt, sugar, baking soda, peroxide, alcohol, basic medicines, toothpaste/brushes/ paper towels/toilet paper......just to name a few items!

Add to this, our neighbors (though not very close) are all of our mindset! We can all join together to help each other get through the hard times!

If you can’t take care of yourself......you can’t help anyone else! memtb

Last edited:
Y'all need mountain springs, not wells.

Reactions: memtb
Hell.....I’d be happy with a little rain or snow! 😁 Last years “total” precipitation was less than 5”! There are deserts with more moisture! 🙂
We're lucky. We have a 2 gal/minute well with a cistern about 200 yards from our front door. Normally we pump it up, of course, but it requires no filtration and would be very helpful if anything went bad. We have another about 400 yards from that that supplies the guest cabin, but it is pumped to its cistern, then gravity down, so not as good.

Otherwise our location sounds as yours, though the town 16 miles away has only 150 or so people. We don't have solar, but then again, we don't really have sun. :)

The shit hit the fan, all last week in Texas. Pretty severe, and it never came down to munitions, or firearms. No looting.
I helped quite a few people, though I helped myself and wife first (no power or water) . I not only didn't use any thing such as described above, I also never once mentioned to anybody a single item of inventory or any sort. I don't ever tell my neighbors what I have in my home, from dishes to pencile and everything else. I'm just that nice guy down the street.
None of that even has to come up, and if a seriously dangerous situation arises, you want your response and capability to be a total surprise. You already know who you can trust and whom you can't. You do not want that information in their hands, since you will be the first person they point to when asked.

I don't know why ALL people don't have 10-12 cases of bottled water in their home. It doesn't take up that much space. In my first home years ago, I had a crawl space and I put 6 55 gal food safe barrels down there filled with water. Just add, I believe, 5 drops of bleach into the barrel and it's safe. I'd empty them ever Fall and refill them. Water is most important. Remember, dirty water can be used to flush the toilet, so don't throw any of it away just because you washed up using it.

Living in ranch country, you always need to prepare yourself for something. No one is coming right away to help you unless it's friends. So, if you need something you make sure you have it on hand. I always check the weather. It's Texas the weather changes all the time.

The night before Y2K, our neighbor, who weeks earlier had been expressing his anti-gun sediment, asked to borrow a gun "in case things go bad."

I replied, "you told me you never fired a gun before, you don't know how to use a gun, and you want me to give you a gun in the neighborhood where I live and where my children play?'

I laughed, and laughed, and laughed.

^^^^ This is it. My grandparents lived on a 160 acre farm until they moved to town in the late 60's. No electricity, windmill for water, outhouse, a home heated with cobs and cooking over a wood stove. They loved the lifestyle and actually were quite wealthy. I would visit when they were in their late 60's and I was in my teens. Daily chores I did to help was haul hay, help grandma hoe the garden, butcher chickens and all else that went with it. It was not an easy life but it's what they wanted. About the time I was born the blizzard of 1949 hit and they couldn't leave the farm for 4 months. Not a problem for them as they were self sustaining on their little piece of ground. As a city boy I learned a lot from my time with them. These days I doubt that 1 in 10 would survive for 5 years, probably less. Family Only

Spending summers immeresed on my Grandparents farm was really one of the greatest ways to pick up useful skills.

Reactions: memtb and S Roche
I don't know why ALL people don't have 10-12 cases of bottled water in their home. It doesn't take up that much space. In my first home years ago, I had a crawl space and I put 6 55 gal food safe barrels down there filled with water. Just add, I believe, 5 drops of bleach into the barrel and it's safe. I'd empty them ever Fall and refill them. Water is most important. Remember, dirty water can be used to flush the toilet, so don't throw any of it away just because you washed up using it.

Great advice!!

Aside from water, 55 gal. barrel drums are also great for freeze dried food and/or canned food storage. I'd like to get several more 55gal drums for food, water & other survival gear. They are perfect for stock piling survival gear of all types. Ammo/mags, first-aid kits, spare batteries, spare ANYTHING! It's also good to stash them "elsewhere" from your primary residence, such as along an evacuation route or other nearby place where their location can be easily found. Having a cache...or several...filled with survival needs is ALWAYS a good idea. Just something to think about :)

Reactions: memtb
I depend on the VA for life sustaining meds. So going off the grid doesn't work for me.

I'm not really concerned about such matters. I'll be 75 in May, and I've lived a great life. All good things have to end sometime anyway.

It's the fear of death that drives people to do the worst things. IMHO, the wrong people fear death. Like the ones who plan on killing others so they can stay alive, when they themselves have nothing at all to offer to humanity as a whole. I suppose I might name a few, but that might make life difficult for folks I like.

It's why I have no plans to arm up and get feisty. At my age, in my condition; I'd really just be a hindrance the good people.

Just wave as you go by.

Greg

Water in 55 gallon drums are a good idea, until...; you have to move them around full.

I have indoor cats and the litter jugs accumulate fast, wash them out, add the requisite drops of Clorox, and fill them. They are a lot more manageable, and tend to occupy space more efficiently.

Greg

Outside of a few friends I could count on if the shooting started, MAYBE my immediate neighbors as it makes sense on a logistics and security level.

The good news is, I'm surrounded by people who are told that they need to have supplies in their houses for some retarded length of time by their 'organization', so A. theyre not coming to me begging for food and B. well, I know where alot of supplies are located.

The only problem with that is, from reading their organizations' 'local emergency plan', when an emergency happens, their personal supplies basically become the organization's supplies and the organization has an extremely communist outlook on everything that happens as soon as an emergency is declared and wants to take those supplies from the actual people, and consolidate them. While this seems to be a good idea on a security level for them, its mainly about rationing and control.

i would more than likely make sure my dad and mom are safe close by. I would drive us out to my best friends farm and make the best of it out there. my distant family are democrats and don't even own a taser, much less any sort of gun. I can't help them and won't. I don't think it would be hard to survive here where I live. I don't have years worth of ammo but I've got enough to survive and TAKE what I need.

Interesting comments... I was the guy who headed for the hills several years ago. I have a homestead, not a compound. There are a handful of folks I have told "You are welcome in my camp"..... They are a long ways off. They will have to be both resilient and resourceful to make it to my homestead alive. With the state of the Nation, it is too late to build a tribe. The refugees already in my area are taxing the available resources. Mentally and physically, I have shifted to the "maintain" philosophy. Maintain my health, my homestead, my equipment, my animals, my good standing with neighbors, my local Sheriff's Department, my Doctors / hospital, my communications equipment, etc. I have what I need. When looking at resources, tractor implements, fuel storage, firewood, food, etc..... I have to be able to justify spending any more funds. With the break down of the supply chain as well as inflation ($$$).... Simply maintaining keeps me busy.

Hobo

Reactions: Sean the Nailer