• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who's Got Gas?

Sean the Nailer

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 20, 2006
    Winnipeg, Mb.
    No, not that kind of gas. One or some of you'se guy's was talking not long ago about converting Natural Gas burners over to Propane. All I remember at the moment was that it was alluded to be easy, and "you could just....."

Allrighty then. We done picked up a NG cooktop (Bosch, 5 burner) for the intended purpose of running it off of a 20 lb propane bottle alongside the BBQ on the deck. Simply for an "outdoor summer kitchen" because it gets WAY too hot in the house.

It seems that the previous owners weren't as anal on the cleaning as they alluded their home to be, so the igniters fire continuously if it's plugged in. I'm going to be looking at disassembling the unit to see what I can clean. Going to research that next.

But I'd like to follow up with learned individuals regarding the conversion to propane (without dropping anything on my foot/ankle/knee/crotch/bald-spot :D ) and am hoping this starts the trend.

Thanks for looking, and "happy grilling". Besides, cutting down the 'home cooling' costs GREATLY helps with the shooting budget.

Could be a simple a changing the orifice tube. Google the Bosch model and search for NG to LPG conversion kit. It's likely you'll find it.

FWIW - I run all propane appliances and had to convert everyone from NG to LPG. Wasn't a big for any of them.

Trying to find this model on my end was nigh impossible. It is a NHT 926 A UC. I could find hardly anything on there, except for a few different sites offering manuals. I have the manual 'hardcopy' and it doesn't say anything about a conversion kit.

I figure "where there's a will, there's a way" so I'm asking the guru's here. Some folks here are right excitable about a propane topic.

Reactions: Barneybdb
    I appreciate that effort, but upon entering the model number it says "sorry, this accessory can't be used with your appliance"

I have to commend you on simply finding that conversion kit. That wouldn't even show up on my end, with my quest. Alas, it is the wrong one and I tried searching others there, and nothing. The laws of google-fu just don't seem to work in my area.

• Wow
    Reactions: 1J04
    No, not that kind of gas. One or some of you'se guy's was talking not long ago about converting Natural Gas burners over to Propane. All I remember at the moment was that it was alluded to be easy, and "you could just....."

Allrighty then. We done picked up a NG cooktop (Bosch, 5 burner) for the intended purpose of running it off of a 20 lb propane bottle alongside the BBQ on the deck. Simply for an "outdoor summer kitchen" because it gets WAY too hot in the house.

It seems that the previous owners weren't as anal on the cleaning as they alluded their home to be, so the igniters fire continuously if it's plugged in. I'm going to be looking at disassembling the unit to see what I can clean. Going to research that next.

But I'd like to follow up with learned individuals regarding the conversion to propane (without dropping anything on my foot/ankle/knee/crotch/bald-spot :D ) and am hoping this starts the trend.

Thanks for looking, and "happy grilling". Besides, cutting down the 'home cooling' costs GREATLY helps with the shooting budget.

You said propane...

" igniters fire continuously "- moisture/water in the igniter system. Mine does after through cleaning. Heat gun to dry.

Call or Email the company with the model and serial numbers along with a request for the conversion kit.
    Most cooktops are pretty simple. The pressure regulator has a cap covering a plug and a spring. The spring needs to be changed OR the plug, that is usually /sometimes attached to the cap, needs to be turned over. Then the orifices in each burner need to be changed. They are size specific and the conversion kit will have the conversion chart to match where they go.

If you need help PM me and I will give you my phone number. I have done hundreds of these over the years.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
    Installation Instructions, Lp Conversion Kit, Nez 1055 UC/1
    Part Number:AP2804144
    Made by:Genuine Bosch part
    nla.gif

Description
    This part has been discontinued by the manufacturer and is no longer available.
    Genuine Bosch part. Bosch brands include Bosch, Thermador, Gaggenau, and others.

Maggots, as usual, off base reply. :p

Get rid of all the gas, LP or natural. I used to use lp but one day realized that it gave the food an odd taste/smell. I figure it must be imparting some chemical into it. Went back to charcoal and havent noticed it since. Takes a bit more work and time but the food seems to cook better and w/o the added flavor. My favorite is a long slow smoke at low temps, then you get the flavor of the smoke. just seems healthier.

YMMV

All you need is a propane regulator and BTU output of appliance. Then use this chart to size the orifice. Since you are going from NG to LP you can likely just drill the existing orifice(s) to the new size. You must be precise. Actually that is backwards. propane will need smaller orifice for equivalent BTU. So find a generic orifice if you must.

PS if multiple burners just divide the BTU output buy the number of burners (orifices).

Last edited:
    You can only divide evenly if the burners are all the same. My stove needed three different orifices. It had two regular burners, an accu simmer and a power burner.

When I did this, I just swapped the orifice. You might check with an RV repair/parts place. IDK if its a thing where you are but we have tons of them around here for when the Snowbirds (or as Grandpa used to said Snowdiggers) come down.

• Haha
    propane is 'hotter" than NG. I just converted from propane to NG. My 48" DCS cooktop required two new orafaces per burner, one for simmer and the main one for cooking. About 12 in total, including griddle. No regulator change. Bought kit online. After that, I just removed the orafaces from my weber NG grill, use a drill bit to allow more flow. It was easy, just go up a size at a time if unsure

Some regulators are adjust able some are not. If you note the very top column it notes the input pressure (to the appliance) in inches of water. This is a very important measurement. You need a manometer to measure. Most gas companies I have seen use u-tube manometers. Though the digital are good if calibrated properly.

I am no gas expert, although I do work with it from time to time. Gas, like gun powder should be handled as an potential explosive. Also if you eff up going from NG to LP it is a greater hazard. NG is lighter than air and dissipates quickly. LP is heavier than air and can collect and puddle so to speak. This is a very very bad thing. It is a lottery you do not want to be the winner of.