• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Whos reloading data to use?

Ffjmoore

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2019
Behind enemy lines comifornia
I'm going to work up a load for my 7 mag. Using Barnes 145 LRX and RL22 powder.

Barnes page says RL22 is the best powder for the bullet and max is 65.3

Alliant doesn't have the exact bullet but using a different 145 gr it recommends 68gr as max.

I'm going to work up my load using Barnes info because its lower but should I expect to have to load all the way up to 68gr? that's
barnes 145.jpg
rl22.jpg
about 5% over barnes max. Seems significant.

Copy that. I compared it to my Nosler and Hornady books and they are closer to the Barnes data. Im not looking forward to shooting 30+ rounds out of this tikka 7mag. Defiantly not a "fun" rifle to shoot.

When shooting big stuff from bench never hurts to add padding ^^^or lead shotbag between you and rifle. Also remember you are not going to die from recoil, but quit before it gets to be too much. Some of my bigger stuff I have a 5 shot rule and put them away for the day.

Reactions: Ffjmoore
Yah, I need to find something to make it more bearable. I know it won't kill me but my shots get worse as I dread the pull of each trigger. Maybe I just need to man up. Lol.

One day you wake up old and decide to limit the means toward the end. Lol

I have always used the Barnes data with their bullets. The rest of the Jacketed bullets i would kinda wing from several manuals, and start low and work up.

You could try Lyman 49 and 50 data. Close, but not exactly the 145-grainer.

Have you thought of using a muzzle brake?

Plus a Witt Machine clamp on muzzle break.......will turn that wildcat into a kitten........ignore the nahsayers about Witt brakes.........if any . They work

I dont have a dog in Witt Machine hunt.........but i do have 5 of their brakes because.........they work. Good luck

Luckily your in the right place. We will peer pressure the crap out of you. Just rebarrel your 7mm with a proof and put a reputable break, or better yet a suppressor, on your new barrel. Eventually you’ll decide you need to spend about 5k on your setup. The good news is there’s a lot out there to get you shooting a long ways pretty comfortably. I shoot a 338 lapua and I can go have a 100 round day, no problem. The only thing that hurts is my wallet.

Luckily your in the right place. We will peer pressure the crap out of you. Just rebarrel your 7mm with a proof and put a reputable break, or better yet a suppressor, on your new barrel. Eventually you’ll decide you need to spend about 5k on your setup. The good news is there’s a lot out there to get you shooting a long ways pretty comfortably. I shoot a 338 lapua and I can go have a 100 round day, no problem. The only thing that hurts is my wallet.
I won't take much convincing. My original plans for this rifle were a proof barrel in 6.5prc and a carbon fiber stock. It will probably still happen. I want to get a few hunts under my belt before I decide.

I'm going to work up a load for my 7 mag. Using Barnes 145 LRX and RL22 powder.

Barnes page says RL22 is the best powder for the bullet and max is 65.3

Alliant doesn't have the exact bullet but using a different 145 gr it recommends 68gr as max.

I'm going to work up my load using Barnes info because its lower but should I expect to have to load all the way up to 68gr? that'sView attachment 7451136View attachment 7451137 about 5% over barnes max. Seems significant.
Should be a magic spot right around 63gr with RL22 and the 145LRX.... I used Barnes data as my benchmark when I use Barnes bullets. Hornady for Hornady, Sierra for Sierra, etc.

1603476119663.png
1603476119663.pngThis is the best for load work ups. I use this from 308 to 375 RUM

I could have used it. I put 30 rnds down range today. I had to fold up a rifle sock and stuff it in my shirt after 10 rnds. My shoulder was killing me. I think I found a load. I'm going to mess with seating depth next. I had 1 outlier in the chrono data. If it was a4 shoot group sd would have been 3.4 and es of 9. So im going to try and work with that. I have to think that the horizontal dispersion is shooter induced. These were shots 26-30.
20201023_215604.jpg