• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Who's using a Vortex AMG?

Scarface26

knuckle dragger
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Southeast OK
Gents,

Anyone who has one, please let me know if it will be worth the wait. If there's a way to search for write-ups on this site, please let me know.

Oh yeah, I read Killswitch's reviews about other Vortex products, and if the turrets on the AMG are as good as those on the Razor Gen II, then color me sold.

Thanks, good shooting, and

God bless Anerica

Frank did a review on it on the Scout site. Linked it and the video here.

I just took mine out today for the first time. Clarity and tracking are spot on. No impact shift when changing power. I really like the zero wheel. The lack of turn indicator was a non-issue. I zero at 200 and was 27moa up at 1000, so 2moa past 0. Went to 41moa to get to 1250 and no issues losing track of where I was. Zip it down to the stop and back up 1.5moa to the "0" mark for my 200 zero. Only issue I had was remembering to unlock the turrets to make an adjustment.

I'm planning on ordering mine next week. I'm looking forward to it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Nuke and Beard, Thanks for the info. Optics planet will most likely be my source of supply as well. Veterans discount takes the edge off.

Nuke, you may be the only other guy on the planet besides me who is using minutes instead of mils. If you compete, has it hindered you? Not in love with minutes, but my SB 4-16 has moa turrets and an moa reticle - kind of wanted to keep it uniform across the board to eliminate potential mistakes before they happen. If I end up purchasing mils on the Vortex AMG, I might have to part ways with my SB, which has helped me ring many a steel plate.

God bless America

I have one in MOA. Did the same thing as nuke first time out. Tried spinning the turret and wondered what the heck was wrong. Then I remembered the locking turrets.

I'm always searching for what I think will fit me hunting wise and still able to use as a crossover for tacticall purposes. The AMG does a good job. Lots of great features and doesn't look too big on a hunting rifle.

It will be worth the wait. The wait times seems to be getting better as well.

FedEx is dropping mine off on Tuesday and I will have a scope tracking test done by the end of next week. I'll be sure and post the results.

I have one in MOA too. Turrets are great, almost the same as Razor G2 but smaller, the feeling is really good with nice audible clicks, infinite zero is awesome, glass super clear and the best part IMHO is getting all those goodies at 20 ounces less than the G2.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Waiting on mine. First big scope buy myself. Franks review sold me on it along with a buddy who messed with one at shot show. Everyone I've talked to with one say it's one of the best scopes they have owned as far as function, reliability and glass (but we all have different eyes and don't see through glass the same). Most vendors I've talked with say May for next release batch from vortex. Hopefully it's sooner. I've got no reserves about the purchase. Optics planet has promos on it every now and then so you may be able to get it cheaper. There was a recent promo code that brought the price to 2200 shipped

Had one, decided the extra $400 for a kahles was better value so sold it pretty quick. Guy who bought it , also sold it pretty quick ... if you are used to great glass (SB, NF) you may not be satisfied.

I ordered one after the review also, also from OpticsPlanet and also had it in a couple months. I like the scope a lot and would order another. There is another side of this scope that is important to me and that's the made in America story that Vortex invested in. I'll happily give up the "greatest glass" claim to use an extremely good scope made here. Not sure my eyes can notice the difference anyway. May Vortex continue down the AMG path proving quality scopes can be made here.

Nuke and Beard, Thanks for the info. Optics planet will most likely be my source of supply as well. Veterans discount takes the edge off.

Nuke, you may be the only other guy on the planet besides me who is using minutes instead of mils. If you compete, has it hindered you? Not in love with minutes, but my SB 4-16 has moa turrets and an moa reticle - kind of wanted to keep it uniform across the board to eliminate potential mistakes before they happen. If I end up purchasing mils on the Vortex AMG, I might have to part ways with my SB, which has helped me ring many a steel plate.

God bless America

Far from the only other MOA shooter. There are a few of us holdouts. Mostly folks who have their dope and holdovers so ingrained in MOA the transition to MILS would present added difficulty. That being said, I just swapped my SHV F1 on my AR10 to the MIL-R version and shot it for the first time yesterday. It will take a bit of getting used to but it really just boils down to the numbers being lower by a factor of 3.44. When zeroing, I just measured the elevation and windage correction needed with the reticle and dialed it in, shot one center and nailed it. Come up from 200 to 400 is 1.8mils instead of 6moa, 600 is 4mils instead of 14. Same shit smaller numbers. Just have to learn the new numbers. If I end up going MIL across the board, I am looking at 2 AMGs and a Razor G2 to replace, so don't feel bad.

I haven't shot any matches in a while, but the only time it really hurt me to shoot MOA vs MIL was shooting with a partner who shot MIL.

As for vendors, talk to Doug or Neil at CameralandNY. They are a vendor on here and sold me an AMG at essentially the same price as direct from Vortex with the Military discount.

It's not a huge deal, but I was a little bummed out when I got mine that it has gone from being "100% made in USA" to "made in USA, except for German reticle".

I'm an Moa shooter as well and the AMG has been calling my name. I've been trying to ignore the beckoning. The only reason i started down that road because of the gen 1 G7 BR2 range finder only displayed solutions in moa. Five different rifle later, i'm hip deep in moa and don't mind a bit. The reticle looks really nice and is the main reason for me lusting after it. I own a Gen 2 razor so I can do without for now.

Mine will be coming from camera land NY, not only are they a sponsor, but a great place to buy from.

Mine will be coming from camera land NY, not only are they a sponsor, but a great place to buy from.

This is where I got mine as well... amazing (and hilarious) customer service, and they shipped my AMG within 4 days of placing my order.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...t-low-light-tactical-scope-evaluation-part-ii

Truly amazing scope for what it was designed for - a crossover hunter/tactical that keeps the weight down, provides exceptional glass and mechanics. Is Schmidt & Bender better... yes - in regard to overall glass but the AMG actually controls CA better than Schmidt, but I also can't find a S&B for $2400 nor can I find one with a reticle like the EBR-7. I also like that the AMG is 100% made and sourced in the USA (though Vortex says the reticle will be done in Germany moving forward which is strange since the glass is sourced and ground here in the USA). I had a Kahles Gen III K624i that I loved as a daytime scope, but the AMG (to my eyes) performs better than the Kahles when the light gets low. The only other scopes in this class (under 30oz, 15x or greater magnification, 50mm objective minimum with great turrets and reticle) would be the March 3-24x52 and the Tangent Theta 315M (I wish they would make a 525M) but the TT maxes out at 15x so if you're looking for more magnification you really have the AMG and March to consider which are both superb, but I would sure like to see some competition in this class moving forward. The Schmidt Ultra Shorts come close at around 32oz but at a price tag near $4k it limits who can afford them; last year the Ultra Shorts were above $4k and even though Schmidt has dropped their US Prices by about 15% they are still out of the range for many, I can only assume the stiff competition from many other scope manufacturers have caused Schmidt to reconsider their price point, no longer are they the best in every category, maybe best overall throughout their entire line but Tangent and Minox ZP5 actually have better glass and many other manufacturers have as good of turrets if not better and so forth.

Reactions: ronon and pinhead
Still waiting on mine from Liberty Optics. Kinda sucks seeing all these people that have one a didn't pre-order and I pre-ordered 13 months ago. Lol....never again.

I'm kinda bummed they haven't released a 3-18x42 or something along those lines.

I played with one of these yesterday and I liked the glass/resolution more than my Gen 2. Didn't play with the adjustment though. Didn't like the EBR-7 as much as I thought I would, I'm used to the EBR-2C now and preferred it over the floating crosshair of the EBR-7.

Gents,

Thanks a million for your thoughtful replies. I realize that all of you - like me - have a job, a wife, and kids, and you're probably taking the time to do this after everyone's gone to bed, so thanks. Hope I can return the favor.

You'll probably all think I'm crazy, but I'm moving this direction after having a SB PMII 5-25. Sold it on Accurateshooter a while back. Household six came to a hundred-foot hover when she saw the cost of the SB (even though she sat thru the pre-ordering brief) and the 1/3 plus price reduction from the SB helps this be a lot easier to bear. Also, call me crazy again, but the 56mm obj is big. Elton John's glasses big. I'd really like to keep the scope 50mm or smaller. Tenturk, aka KlownPuncher - hilarious - I'm with you on the 3-18 X42, I'd even be totally on board with a 4.5 - 18 X42 like Bushnell has, but from what I've read here, the Bushy, while solid, ain't no AMG.

Reticles - I'm not picky, yet. My SB 4-16 has one of Holland's reticles in it (came that way) and the reticle matches what the turrets dial exactly, and my Leupold has a ts-32 MOA in it, which is busy as all get out, but works as advertised. It DOES, however, have an open crosshair which makes it very easy to aim. For me.

God bless America

Scarface 26

I've been running an AMG on my 6mm Creed for the last two months and love it for all the reasons posted before me. I really like the thick .5 mil sub-tensions on the bottom of the horizontal stadia line for movers/ when you're dialed way back in power. Beyond that the biggest pluses for me are 1. Weight reduction (with the AMG my rig is still pushing 17lbs) and 2. the Vortex warranty. I run my gear hard and knowing if something goes wrong that Vortex will take care of me is good piece of mind when spending that many hard earned dollars on an optic.

I'm kinda bummed they haven't released a 3-18x42 or something along those lines.

For now I think Vortex is committed to 4x magnification for this line, my guess is the next AMG we'll see will be a 4-16x50 but how long nobody knows since they are still trying to fulfill backorders of the 6-24 that was released at SHOT show 2016. Since Nightforce can't seem to figure out that shooters would also like a 50mm F1 (come on Nightforce, you almost had me with the 4-16x50 but lost me with the SFP), Vortex has a real opportunity to steal the show with a sub 26oz AMG 4-16x50. But what I'd really love to see from Vortex's AMG group is an Ultra Short clone, a 5-20x50 that is less than 12" in length... here's to dreamin'.

Reactions: tennturk
For now I think Vortex is committed to 4x magnification for this line, my guess is the next AMG we'll see will be a 4-16x50 but how long nobody knows since they are still trying to fulfill backorders of the 6-24 that was released at SHOT show 2016. Since Nightforce can't seem to figure out that shooters would also like a 50mm F1 (come on Nightforce, you almost had me with the 4-16x50 but lost me with the SFP), Vortex has a real opportunity to steal the show with a sub 26oz AMG 4-16x50. But what I'd really love to see from Vortex's AMG group is an Ultra Short clone, a 5-20x50 that is less than 12" in length... here's to dreamin'.
I won't hold my breathe that's for sure. I guess the DMR2 is the best option for now to fill the void. Why does the medium range, DMR/SPR crowd always get overlooked?!