• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Why are 1911's so expensive???

Re: Why are 1911's so expensive???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Your right that you can go out and buy a GAP for $2700 and then throw a $1500 scope on it and call it a "precision rifle" or in my case you can spend $700 on a Savage and throw a $320 nikon buckmaster on it and for less than the cost of your "precision" scope, get a gun that shoots as good as your 3k plus set up.</div></div>

Sure. And a Corolla will perform just as well as a 512TR.

You really need to (first-hand) compare a custom firearm to an off-the-rack specimen rather than repeat internet wisdom.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Your right that you can go out and buy a GAP for $2700 and then throw a $1500 scope on it and call it a "precision rifle" or in my case you can spend $700 on a Savage and throw a $320 nikon buckmaster on it and for less than the cost of your "precision" scope, get a gun that shoots as good as your 3k plus set up.</div></div>

You spent how much on a Salvage??

everything costs what people are actually paying, GAP sells rifles at 2700+ and can't keep any on the shelf, Brand Cole makes hand made reloading scales, they cost 3000 and there is a year wait, if nobody was buying these items the price would come down until sales picked up or the company would go out of business, 1911's are no different.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage 10fp</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete Sake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I look at it this way. You can buy a stock Remington 700 for $5-600 and a Tasco give and it will shoot just fine. The Tasco will probably suck and break. Or, you can buy a GAP or similar for $2700+ a SB and you will have a precision rifle. It will have a trued action, premium barrel, bedding, custom paint, superior stock and a tuned trigger. Neither the rifle or the scope will suck and in all actuality they will be exceptional.
</div></div>

But I guess this logic is a big problem that I see floating around these days (especially on this forum). Your right that there are people out there that believe just because it's more expensive... it must be better. Your right that you can go out and buy a GAP for $2700 and then throw a $1500 scope on it and call it a "precision rifle" or in my case you can spend $700 on a Savage and throw a $320 nikon buckmaster on it and for less than the cost of your "precision" scope, get a gun that shoots as good as your 3k plus set up. In shooting skeet today, I out shot a guy with a $1500 browning with my $300 stoeger.

At the end of the day I feel like some things cost what they do because people are retarded enough to pay for it. I think the housing market, and harleys are good ammo for this point. Personally I like to understand what I'm paying for when I buy something. Like another person brought up harleys earlier. This is exactly why I would never buy one. I'll ride my r6 which accelerates much much faster and costs 1/3 as much. </div></div>

LOL Dude you can tell yourself whatever you need to but lets be honest here. Does my Rem XCR LR Tactical shoot the same 308 that my GAP 308 does? Yes the difference is my GAP shoots the same every time where my remington does the same most of the time. Its all about repeatability. Does a $300 scope perform as well as a $2000 or even $1000 scope? Not really. You'll find the tracking is no where near as good and thats not even getting into the glass.

As far as the OP, are 1911's expensive? Hell yes they are especially when you get them the way you like them. In higher end 1911's your paying for features such as flawless lines and style along with accuracy and the name. They got that name somehow and usually perform as expected. I have only ran accross a couple of shitters in the 1911 world and most of the time it turned out to be the mag's. Best to start with a base model and upgrade to get what you want.

Here is a Springer Milspec, tuned by Vandenberg.
IMAG0222.jpg

Here is a Colt done by another smith before and after. This one has been going on over a year as I get it back to shake out and figure out what I do or do not like. Gonna send it out to Fords pretty soon after a couple more things are tweaked. Also have a 9mm/38 super to match it for plinking.

IMG_53481.JPG

colt_45.JPG

I think you missed Savage's point. He is saying these items do sell because people are sometimes foolish enough to believe just because it's expensive it is the best.

Hello, my name is Shoot4fun and I'm a 1911 asshat.
Many times I've thought about starting a 1911 Anonymous group. But then, I just like 'em so much I can't quit!
God bless John Browning!
Look deep into the guts of any Glock, XD or M&P. Then strip a 1911 down. You will see the reason why they cost more then.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DonniePD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you missed Savage's point. He is saying these items do sell because people are sometimes foolish enough to believe just because it's expensive it is the best. </div></div>

Pretty much it is unless your talking about the unobtanium style counter sniper scopes.

You get what you pay for.

The New Mercedes shares some of the same safety and driver features as my 2011 charger does. Does that make my Charger as good as a Mercedes?

There are two different arguments going on here - one focused on utility and the other on appeal. Some weapons you can trust as a tool for saving your life. Some are just cool to have. Some are both, some neither. The key is to always know which kind you have in your hand. The 1911 is cool for many reasons...it has an incredible history, and aesthetically it cant be beat in my opinion. It is owning a piece of history, a work of art, and a weapon all rolled into one. That is why it will always be a bestseller and why every gun enthusiast should have at least one.

On the other hand, that doesnt mean it is should still be the top choice for every handgun application. Most of the time you have to spend big bucks to get one to run like most of the commonly used polymer pistols out there. Obviously the machining required of the 1911 design makes its manufacture much more difficult and thus expensive. SO, if you have very limited cash and need a handgun to bet your life on, the 1911 probably shouldn't be the first place you look. If it is the only platform you can shoot well then you had better save up and get a good one or get more practice with something else.

Personally, I cant stand not owning one, but I get disgusted at them when they have a stoppage, which is why I have a love hate relationship with them. Some 1911s, usually the higher end ones, are works of art and a useful tool at the same time. Some are neither.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage 10fp</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete Sake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I look at it this way. You can buy a stock Remington 700 for $5-600 and a Tasco give and it will shoot just fine. The Tasco will probably suck and break. Or, you can buy a GAP or similar for $2700+ a SB and you will have a precision rifle. It will have a trued action, premium barrel, bedding, custom paint, superior stock and a tuned trigger. Neither the rifle or the scope will suck and in all actuality they will be exceptional.
</div></div>

But I guess this logic is a big problem that I see floating around these days (especially on this forum). Your right that there are people out there that believe just because it's more expensive... it must be better. Your right that you can go out and buy a GAP for $2700 and then throw a $1500 scope on it and call it a "precision rifle" or in my case you can spend $700 on a Savage and throw a $320 nikon buckmaster on it and for less than the cost of your "precision" scope, get a gun that shoots as good as your 3k plus set up. In shooting skeet today, I out shot a guy with a $1500 browning with my $300 stoeger.

At the end of the day I feel like some things cost what they do because people are retarded enough to pay for it. I think the housing market, and harleys are good ammo for this point. Personally I like to understand what I'm paying for when I buy something. Like another person brought up harleys earlier. This is exactly why I would never buy one. I'll ride my r6 which accelerates much much faster and costs 1/3 as much. </div></div>

I too own a 3-9 Nikon scoped stock Savage and it does a fine job for its intended purpose which is deer hunting. It made a <1" group @ 100 yards with Black Hills 175's. For a precision rifle I choose a Remington 700 Tactical and put it in a 5r stock. I have been able to put 10 rounds under a nickel 1(one) time using a 3-9SS and the same ammo. With both instances I have had trouble repeating said groups on multiple occasions. Is this precision? Not in my book.

If I had to do it over again I would have bought a Marlin Model 1895SBL with a 1-4ss for deer hunting and saved my pennies a bit longer so I could afford a base model GAP or similar with Badger M5 bottom metal and 5-50ss or better for precision. I want the Marlin simply because I want a lever gun and the GAP or similar because by the time it's all said and done with the money I will have spent upgrading Remington, I may as well have bought the GAP or similar and been done with it. I would have a rifle that is guaranteed to shoot 1/2 moa or better which would be putting my skills to the test. But what can I say, you live and you learn.

With regard to you Browning vs. Stoeger match up. First and simply put, you could just be a better shot than the other shooter plain and simple. Second, at my local trap range they have loaner guns. They are all expensive for a reason and that is simple. Cheap guns break when used repeatedly. If you want to prove me wrong, the next time you go to the range ask the clerk if they have any loaners and if so do they have a Stoeger. If they do loan guns, chances are it's not a Stoeger for the very reason I mentioned above.

With regard to your r6 vs. Harley match up. First, an r6 is not a cruiser and a Harley is not a crotch rocket. Both have very different and specific functions appealing to very different sections of the motorcycle market. It's kind of like saying your Stoeger makes crappy groups at 200 yards compared to your Savage and your Savage can't hit anything flying through the air. With that said do you find yourself at least thinking about hopping up you r6 or just buying one for 3x the cost because it has every mod imaginable and goes super duper fast compared to a stock r6? That consideration is similar to the feeling experienced by shooters have with relation to high end firearms or Harley buffs that want a custom chopper.

And finally, did you start this thread with the intention of calling those who justified the expense of high end firearms "retards"? If that is the case you probably should not have started it. This forum is for sharing information amongst one another not for bashing, necessarily. I'm just saying. With that said, if you are going to use this forum to bash people can you refrain from calling people "retards" and such. There is no glory in making fun of people who got dealt the hand they did in life. It's rather low class and trashy in my opinion. This is the same for people who buy high end firearms. They can't help it. They are experienced shooters.

</div></div>

You mistake the fact that the cheaper rifle can do some things almost as well as the more expensive one, with the belief that they are therefore equal.

Put bluntly, you don't even know what you don't know about rifles and firearms in general. There's nothing wrong with making do with a cheaper product, but that doesn't mean that quality is meaningless. You are ignorant of the means and methods by which to evaluate a product in full, which is why you assume that those who spend more money are retarded. Their actions seem incomprehensible from your vantage point, which is a sign that your position is incorrect, not that they are crazy (and if they were crazy, how would they have that money in the first place?).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunsnjeeps</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so the question is why are those willing to pay it? hmmmm there might be a reason one would be willin to pay 1,400 for a 1911 and not for a glock </div></div>

Paying $1400 for a 1911 makes you an asshat. Bragging about it makes one stupid and pompous. </div></div>

Neither here or there. JayJay made a good point, you would be wise to ponder his words as you obviously have no experience with such an item. There is a term we accounting folks refer to as "Zero Defect Quality" to mark a piece of work above a certain percentage of completions with zero defects. Generally production costs are high due to the skilled labor and quality of the raw materials being used. Do I need to mention the outstanding service you generally get when you purchase such an item? If you want a rundown on ZDQ I will be more than happy to provide you with a short essay covering it. I own an SA LW operator I bought used in new condition. It is completely flawless and it never gives up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Paying $1400 for a 1911 makes you an asshat.</div></div>

Whew! Close call. Haven't paid $1400. More and less, but not $1400. </div></div>

+1
Nice

I guess this did take a wierd turn, but it was not my intent on calling people who buy high end guns retarded. The reason I started this thread was to answer the question that people did fairly well. The 1911 costs what it does due to its manufacturing process, combined with a lot of mark up for other reasons. I did say earlier that I completely understand why people would pay high dollar for a "piece of history" with the 1911. I don't completely agree with it, but that's just me.

Then the thread took a bad turn when evaluating how people spend on some things. At the end of the day people spend thier money on what they choose. If you want to spend your money on reliability, customer service, a name, a piece of history, or any thing else for that matter... go nuts. Who cares. I guess thats capaitalism at its finest. People are free to drive the market any way they choose. The housing market is a great example of this.

I bought my first 1911 about 5 years ago & it was a DW Pointman Seven. I loved the fit & finish & tight tolerances it gave off when using it. It was a very accurate pistol & shot great groups off a rest at 50 yards. However, it only liked a certain type of ammo & unless I feed it that type, it wouldn't feed worth a crap.

Now my buddy had an old beater type Springfield 1911 (GI or the Mil-spec).....and that thing would eat anything we put through it & never failed to work. If I was going to pick one gun to be my "go-to-gun" for "combat".....it would be that Springfield because it did exactly what it was designed to do....shoot any type .45 rounds at a man size target & get reliable hits...even out to 50 & 100 yards.

But when I wanted to shoot in weekend competitions....I chose the DW with it's favorite ammo.....simply accurate as hell & was a great target pistol.

The two were completely different but both had their place....

I gave my Series 70 Colt to a great friend who said she shot it better then any other .45 she'd shot. She was moving and had gotten a new job so Going Away/Promotion gift. OK, so how much to replace my beloved Colt? $985. It was worth every dime. One to see the look on her face and two to feel the new one in my hand. Pay the money once, feel the quality always. Oh, Wilson worked that Colt over and IT WAS A BARGIN.

You get what you pay for. Clay Spencer built a 6.5 Lapua for me. I've never tallied up how much it cost. It puts all shots under, yes, under .25" all day long.

It seems to me the original question that was started by this thread was answered a long time ago. Perhaps some spin off threads would be appropriate to focus on some of the related topics, like:
1. Are 1911 model pistols worth the price?
2. What would you pay for a 1911 model pistol?
3. What are the pros and cons of the 1911 model pistol?
4. What are the top modifications for the 1911 model pistol?
5. Is the 1911 model pistol still the best design available today?
6. What pistol design/model is better than the 1911 model?
7. Who makes a 1911 model pistol better than Colt?
8. Etc...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe the question should be "Why are 1911's so awesome?" </div></div>

John Browning

I suppose I took the thread off topic a bit. To answer the original question, the reason a 1911 or any good or service costs what it costs is due to market principles which was discussed earlier in the thread. The law of demand states that the lower the price of a good the larger quantity consumers will purchase. The law of supply states the higher the price of a good the larger quantity firms will want to produce. The intersection of these curves is called market equilibrium. This point determines price and quantity in the market.

That being said you can buy a new 1911 in the $500-$600 price range and it will go bang just like a Beretta or XD. I have owned a Taurus 1911 and it shot well and was fairly accurate but at the same time it is made in Brazil which helps bring the cost down compared to local brands. I haven't really done enough research on 1911s in this price range to say one way or the other.

One question I did come up with today is could polymer guns be over priced? After all injection molding does seen cheaper to produce. I don't know but it may be just the same as an all metal gun might be. I really have no idea what the profit margins are in the industry.

Anyhow, sorry for taking the thread off topic.

Last weekend, I had a friend bring a Beretta 92FS over to my ranch and I brought a Hard Chromed Baer 1911. Another one of my friends who is not really into guns (but has the money for expensive toys), held the Beretta and then he held the Baer. His first comment when he held the Baer was, "feels expensive."

A well-machined 1911 that is all wood and steel is simply going to cost more than a gun that is plastic and steel. A Timex keeps better time than a Rolex, but it is hard to argue that it is out and out better. Just different.

It says something that we are having this argument on the 100th anniversary of the 1911. The 1903, the Mauser, the Garand, the Enfield, these are all relics. The fact that you can make a 1911 run with its contemporaries (and sometimes outrun them) speaks volumes.

I've was recently given a custom 1911 by my Dad as a birthday gift. I have a couple Glock pistols and love them but something about the feel, fit and finish make the 1911 my new favorite pistol by a large margin. After learning some machining and re-barreling my own custom rifle I have a new found appreication for the skill and work involved in something like a custom 1911. Quality and custom work isn't cheap, I think with 1911's it just comes with the territory just like custom bolt guns.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JFComfort</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've was recently given a custom 1911 by my Dad as a birthday gift. I have a couple Glock pistols and love them but something about the feel, fit and finish make the 1911 my new favorite pistol by a large margin. After learning some machining and re-barreling my own custom rifle I have a new found appreication for the skill and work involved in something like a custom 1911. Quality and custom work isn't cheap, I think with 1911's it just comes with the territory just like custom bolt guns. </div></div>

Well said sir...

Well at the risk of being called an Asshat, I will admit I bought the $2,500 Springfield Custom Shop Professional Operator. Do I feel bad about spending more on a single pistol than any other gun I own? Absolutely not. I carry that gun concealed or exposed nearly every waking hour. When I sleep it's on the nightstand.

Consider how much money we spend on guns that we will never bet our lives on. I am happy to have more invested in the sidearm I wil l always have with me, rather than AR #3 or precision rifle #3 or an extra battle rifle back home in the safe or in the back of my vehicle.

I go into harms way on a regular basis, and I usually can't carry a rifle. I feel better holding the Operator than any of the other pistols with which I have trained (Glocks, HK USP, S&W autos and revolvers).

I worked hard on proficiency with all those guns. But no matter how hard I trained I have always been faster and more accurate with a 1911. Given that most top competitive shooter run a derivative of a 5" 1911 I suspect I'm not alone in that little bit faster thing.

I tried to rationalize the cost savings of the Glock. But what if the next time I'm in harm's way I need to be that little bit faster, or making a headshot is my only chance?

Regards

My simple thought is that most expensive 1911's are made in America using precision machines and the craftsmanship of a Master Gunsmith. If you want something well built that is made in America you are going to pay the price ie....Harley Davidson (20K), Cadillac CTSV (70K), Corvette ZO1 (100K). Most people want to save money so companies reduce the cost of manufacturing and labor, which can reduce the quality, by contracting to have things made outside the U.S. I own an Ed Brown 1911. I paid 2K for the above reasons. I get it. I also understand this is not for everyone so you can get a Springfield for example (that have parts made in Brazil) to save you money and still get a quality 1911 of course if you want the best than Springfield has a "Custom Shop" and once again everything is made here in America by a Master Gunsmith and you are at the 2K plus range again.

a<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They aren't all expensive.

You can get loaded models with all the upgraded controls and fancy features for very little money, if you're willing to buy a d@mn import.

What other pistol can compete with a decked-out 1911 for only $399?
laugh.gif

Loaded tactical 1911 for only $399 </div></div>

Almost all 1911s, and almost all guns for that matter, have imported parts. A springfield loaded costs twice what that rock island costs, and is just as "imported."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They aren't all expensive.

You can get loaded models with all the upgraded controls and fancy features for very little money, if you're willing to buy a d@mn import.

What other pistol can compete with a decked-out 1911 for only $399?
laugh.gif

Loaded tactical 1911 for only $399 </div></div>

Almost all 1911s, and almost all guns for that matter, have imported parts. A springfield loaded costs twice what that rock island costs, and is just as "imported."</div></div>

Buy a Colt, Kimber, Baer, Wilson, Wesson, Sig, S&W, etc..and you're not going to be getting imported parts.

I have owned many 1911's and variants. Of the inexpensive ones, I owned two of the early Taurus 1911's, never had an issue that wasn't magazine related. Thousands of rounds through them. I have also owned a couple of custom jobs, and have settled on a custom CCO (officers frame with commander slide) that runs flawlessly always, and is easy to carry. It is a total custom build using a Caspian slide and frame, all hand fitted for less than alot of the production 1911's. I have owned Glocks, XD's, Kahrs, and a few others. I always ended up back to the 1911 platform, it just feels best in my small hands, and every one I have owned would be much more accurate in more capable hands. I have never felt pride in owning tupperware, but I never had any issues in reliability with plastic guns either. Cost is high in the 1911 market due to the fact that a 1911 that is going to be reliable out of the box is going to have hand fitted parts. I think if a manufacturer claims that their product needs a 500 or more break in period to be reliable, stay away. Mass produced 1911's today are built to be tight and lack the necessary labor intensive hand fitting required.

why do 1911's cost so much well look at the labor involved, remember that is a skilled carftsman doing the work that is not cheap, there is more steel involved and check just the price of 4140 and 4340, most high end 1911's start out as a 3 pound fordging( not cheap either) that takes a lot of maching time to turn in a slide and frame, also good 1911 have a lot of tool steel parts in them, good tool steel isn't cheap neather is the machine time or machine bits used to machine tool steel, do i own 1911's yep sure do i have an ed brown, a night hawk and a les bear and i am about to get 2 more 1 from C&S and another from wilson combat, yep i am a retard, i must also be very slow because i have also spent a lot of money with GA Precision but thats just my 2 cents.

Montrose

My first gun was a 1911 I bought back in 2000. It's a Sprinfield Mil-spec model and it cost me $450. I've put about 3,000+ rounds thru it and it's been almost 100% reliable except with some shitty used mags I bought off eBay. It has since become my cheapest pistol. Every one I've gotten since has been more

because people are willing to pay it.

Ever seen a 1911 feed 7 empty cases from the magazine?

yes, that's called building it correctly. It's how I tested if I did the job properly. Actually not that difficult to do...just a little time consuming. I was always told that it was a waste of time but when you want reliability, you've got to do this.

Ever hear "it's got to be shot in" There can be some truth to that but in general it's a load of crap. If built properly they'll run 100% from shot 1

A note on the forged frames...definitely worth it. Much more durable than just a machined billet. They're heavier but well worth the extra weight.

On the 1911, just because it's high priced doesn't make it good. We'd offer to build a piece to the customers specs only to have them go with a OTC Wilson. Funny thing was we'd make more money on that Wilson making it run properly.

I shoot Glocks, they function flawlessly, and they cost $500 new.

I shoot a Springfield Trophy Match, which is equally reliable and more accurate than my Glocks, and cost me $800 used.

My Guncrafter No Name cost me $2450, functions 100%, and is more accurate than my Trophy Match.

Why does it cost $2450? The parts would cost $800, and there's about 20 hours of labor in the build. How much is a master gunsmith's labor worth? $75/hr? You'd have to handle the Guncrafter to answer that question.

I'd say I got what I paid for with my Glocks, and my 1911s.

I have owned several 1911's and believe you do get what you pay for, most of the time.

My Rock Island GI cost me $400 new and I have shot the crap out of it...but it refuses to function reliably with most hollow points.

I also bought a Rock Island compact and loved it, but as well, wouldn't feed hollow points. Both of these guns are very well fitted and the action is smooth but this issue makes them strictly range guns.

I then bought a Springfield CCO, which cost me $750. Fit, finish and action were great but again, failure to feed carry ammo...so off it went.

Finally I bought a Sig 1911 which cost me right around $1000. There I saw the difference price brought. Fit, finish and action were far superior to the previous guns I mentioned and it has eaten every type of ammo I have tried.

So I guess in my experience, the extra cost was worth it in that I have a gun I am completely confident in. I cannot however say this is the rule, there are always exceptions, one being the 1970's Llama 1911 I inherited when my dad died which also eats everything.

Be careful, 1911's are addicting.

Jethro

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seanh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Ever seen a 1911 feed 7 empty cases from the magazine?
</div></div>

I tried that today on my relatively new Baer. No go.

On the other hand, It has seen about 500 rounds of three brands of ammo, two of those with SWC bullets, and never had a malfunction that wasn't user caused (twice, I didn't insert the magazine deep enough).

Still, that is a pretty cool standard. I was looking in there and I figure you would need to change the shape of the feed ramp to make that work on my gun. But you are right... if you can make one feed empty cases, it is hard to imagine anything that would make it jam.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage 10fp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I've recently gotten bit by the 1911 bug and bought a Springfield Armory 1911 Mil-Spec. The 1911 is definitely not my first hand gun and for a little back ground, I own a Ruger P-89, a Barretta 92, and an XD-40 Tactical. Of all of those guns, the 1911 was the most expensive by more than $100. Whats really sad about that is I bought Springfield Armory's second cheapest 1911. That brought up a question I wanted to pose to all of those 1911 nuts out there. Why are they so expensive? I'm relatively familiar with market material costs and there is no where close to $1000 dollars of materials in them. What are you really paying for when you buy a 1911? Why is a 100 year old design twice the cost of others?
</div></div>

Who says they have to cost that much? Off Gunbroker I got a Sig 1911 XO for $700. Accurate, steel frame and slide, AL handles and trouble free at 3500 rounds and counting. I went 500 rounds without cleaning it to see if there would be any issues and none occurred. Don't know if that's unusual or not but I was impressed.

There's nothing wrong with getting what you pay for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DonniePD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you missed Savage's point. He is saying these items do sell because people are sometimes foolish enough to believe just because it's expensive it is the best. </div></div>

No, I think Savage is missing the point. There is this concept of "diminishing returns" where it costs more and more to get less and less.

For someone in my situation who shoots recreationally, I am not experienced enough to sense or make good use of the small performance improvements a $3000 1911 offers. That doesn't mean that others don't notice or make use of it.

I kinda liken it to waterskiing. As a beginner, I'd ski on almost any kind of water--rough, glass, anywhere inbetween. However, once I got into skiing the slalom course, and fine-tuning my skills, the smoothness of the water started to matter. I've become a skiing snob, not skiing when the water is anything but a light-brushed to glassy texture, and not skiing behind anything but a competition ski boat with a flat wake.

The same is true for a lot of things in life. The more you use something, the more you develop particular preferences, and start to notice subtle performance differences that can make or break your success in a particular contest. This is what is happening in the 1911 world. This is also why a GAP is so much more expensive than a Rem 700 base model (or a Savage for that matter).

I see the GI for $550 or so, what did you pay?

I also know guys who have shot hundreds of rounds a day every day for years, eventually getting up into the 1/4 to 1/2 million round counts. When Beretta or any of the "fantastic plastic" pistols can say the same I will think about one.

I couldn't dream of putting 500K rounds through any pistol, but won't most Glocks in 9mm achieve hundreds of thousands of rounds? And it seems like when you have problems with a plastic pistol, you just throw it in the garbage. For the price, you can afford to do it. While with a 1911, you replace, replace, replace because all of the parts are replaceable.

If you look at total cost of ownership, I bet you come out ahead with a plastic pistol that you throw in the garbage at the end of its useful life rather than a 1911 that will go to the shop from time to time with issues and have a longer life.

I still prefer the 1911, but it is tough to argue that it is cheaper than tactical tupperwear.

I thought plastic was supposed to be recycled.(JOKE)
crazy.gif

Consider this: The government bought 1911's in the 1940's for 65 dollars. That was about 2.6% of the average salary of $2500 back then. That percentage of say, a $65,000 salary (combined per household...women didn't work much before the war) now would be about $1560. You can buy a quite decent aftermarket 1911 for $1560 now. JMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Consider this: The government bought 1911's in the 1940's for 65 dollars. That was about 2.6% of the average salary of $2500 back then. That percentage of say, a $65,000 salary (combined per household...women didn't work much before the war) now would be about $1560. You can buy a quite decent aftermarket 1911 for $1560 now. JMHO </div></div>

The per capita GDP of the United States is nowhere near $65,000. It's more like $48k IIRC.

that still gives over $1200 for a nice 1911, which is more than either of mine cost even with mags, holster, and belt.